8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 SI sedan, have almost 12K miles...never had a huge problem with the famous 3rd gear grind, sometimes it wouldnt go in, and id just take it back to neutral, and it would go back in fine, ive had the MTF changed already by Honda...didnt really bother me too much, but i dealt with it only a handful of times......now, last night, up here in NY its the coldest its been this winter, idk if the cold has something to do with it...but i let the car warm up a few mins before i took off, got up to shift into 3rd and "gggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd" sounded horrible, it hurt me to hear it do that!.....this is the first time its ever done it that bad....is it even worth having it looked at yet?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have an 08 SI. I never really had this problem either. 3rd gear is sometimes notchy but nothing real big. But like a week ago, i was driving around, and 3rd gear grinded. I could swear it was my error and not the famous 3rd gear grind. So thus far i believe its human error and not a tranny problem.

Now in the other hand when i grinded 1st to 2nd at high RPMs i believe there is something wrong there cuz you have to hold the clutch longer while shifting to 2nd as compare to the rest of the gears. But when i grinded 3rd i felt i was the one who messed up but lets see what happens later. . . . .:coffee:

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Let me be the first to say:

It's the cold.

All of my Hondas have been a little picky in the cold but especially my RSX-S. (yes, the RSX-S has the same kinda issues as the Si). Just wait till summer when your thinking back and saying to yourself, "hey, remember that time it was below zero and 3rd gear was grinding?... ha ha"

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
after a year of owning my car i learn to drive around my grinding issues, and just accept Honda will never admitt their in the wrong :biggrin:.........I must say tho i have a Comptech Short Shifter & Cortsport Cable bushings & it did ease the grinding on 3rd quiet a bit :thumb:

·
Registered
664 Posts
after a year of owning my car i learn to drive around my grinding issues, and just accept Honda will never admitt their in the wrong :biggrin:.........I must say tho i have a Comptech Short Shifter & Cortsport Cable bushings & it did ease the grinding on 3rd quiet a bit :thumb:
I have to agree with the Comptech SS. I put mine on this weekend and man what a difference. It just goes in alot easier into 3rd gear, but you do still feel a little bit of resistance although not as bad. That is the only thing I changed. I am not touching the MTF until the next service.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have to agree with the Comptech SS. I put mine on this weekend and man what a difference. It just goes in alot easier into 3rd gear, but you do still feel a little bit of resistance although not as bad. That is the only thing I changed. I am not touching the MTF until the next service.
the so called "NEW" Honda MTF Fluid isnt sh*t anyways........i have a local buddy w/ a FA5 who dropped his car off to swap out fluid..... while PULLING OUT of Honda's Service lot, he grinded 3rd gear :hiding:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how much does the comptech SS and corsport bushings run?
easy install?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.