8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told to bring my car in for my first oil change when the mileage hits 5000 miles or has only 20% life. However, I don't drive my civic very often and the mileage is now only 3100 miles and the oil life is still at 50%. I got my car last April; should I have the first oil change after 1 year or should I trust the oil life displayed in the car? or should I drive as much as possible before this April?

Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I read in the manual to have the oil changed at least once a year. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable driving with oil over a year old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I would not feel comfortable either.

Another question is since I have a package that lets me have my oil changed at any AutoNation dealership. I could either go to a Honda dealership (far) to have an oil change or other dealerships (like Accura, Ford, etc) which are closer to where I live. But would a Honda dealership know my car better and would you strongly be against going to, say, a Ford dealership for an oil change? (Maybe Ford is little bit extreme, I know Honda makes Accura; would an Accura dealership for an oil change just be fine?)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd go just about anywheres for an oil change, except wal-mart. They bent one of rims from my previous car doing an oil/tire rotation. But yeah, even a Ford dealership shouldn't mess up an oil change lol..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh, another thing.. Check your oil level right after they are done with it.. I always do that, even if the Honda dealership changed my oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I, personally, would follow the maintenance minder. Honda put a LOT of money, engineering, and 61 years of experience into that system. I'd trust it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, it seems our opinions are mixed on this. I agree that I should trust what Honda says, but that would mean either I have the first oil change at 5k or have an oil change at least once a year, right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that I should trust what Honda says, but that would mean either I have the first oil change at 5k or have an oil change at least once a year, right?
The maintenance minder isn't hard-coded to 5000 miles or any time interval. It computes how "used" the oil is based on a bunch of things; temperature, revolutions, and such.

And, considering our litigious society, I'm betting that Honda adds in a certain "sooner" factor in the computation, just so they won't be liable for damage if the engine is damaged even though the minder was followed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
5000miles wow I was at 15% by 3600 :eek:mg: Service techs are the same everywhere you go, some are good and some are bad.
I feel better now. My first oil change was at 6,600km
(4,101mi) at 15%. The assistant service manager I usually deal with was surprised I got to 15% that early.

Josh, do you drive an Si? Mine's an LX A/T.

To the OP, I think you have to change the oil in a year if your MM is still high. I believe that's what the tech told me, too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
No I drive a 5MT LX-SR Coupe, my warning light came on at like 5600km and I got it done at about 5700km. Took the stealership 1 HOUR to change my oil and rotate my tires when I was the only person there:pat: I also checked my nuts before I left, always need to check your nuts.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
every 4k (honda's recommended mileage) or every 3-4 months....thats is wut i wa told to tell customers when they came in and had an oil change

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
you should change your oil every 3500 miles and earlier if you beat the crap out of it. The oil Life meter goes by how you drive not by the miles. i change mine every 4000 because i use synthetic and i never look at the oil life ever; its dumb

·
Registered
289 Posts
Every 3 - 4 months seems excessive to me...I'm at 6 and a half months with 5300KM and my MM reads 30% oil life. I plan on sticking with the MM. After reading all the oil change threads, I'm convinced that changing my oil every 5000km with synthetic is a waste of money, especially with my the way I drive (which isn't beating on the car at all).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
mine has 20% 8 months old and 4,600 km. called the stealership and advised me to wait til it goes to 15%, any advise? mobil 1 synthetic? thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I change my every 4 months..which is 5000 miles

Im trying to decide if i should let the dealer do it since they check everything else..or if i should do it myself

·
Registered
51 Posts
The owners manual for our new '08 (2,400 miles - 70%) says *not* to perform the first oil change early for correct break in. I would wait until the maintenance minder tells you to do so.
Just drive the car a little more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts