8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just got a 3 yr old CSX(non Type-S) with around 40k miles on it.
Friend drove it during test drive and had a mechanic drive it too. Both said it's in good condition and clutch feels fine.

This being my first manual car, I didn't stall it the whole way driving home, but I am still having trouble in a few spots and have other questions if car behavior is right or not.

1. Starting from 1st gear or clutch wearing out

I've driven my friend's Golf and it feels to me that the clutch engagement point in this car is quite high? Often times, I feel it's about the 3/4 mark of the clutch travel when it starts to catch.

After driving for 3 weeks, I still can't seem to get the engagement point correctly leading to unnecessary revving or nearly stalling the car.

I tried practicing only using the clutch and no gas, there is a very fine point in the clutch travel where I can get the car to move smoothly. If I lift off that point, the car should vibrate and feels like car is going to stall.

The only way I can get rid of this unsmoothness starting off 1st gear is to rev the engine to around 1k and release the clutch. At the point where it start to catch, i would slowly release the clutch while giving a bit more gas. Is this the correct way? I thought I could lift the clutch to the where it starts to bite then give gas. I think this is "riding" the clutch a bit too much.

2. In 2nd gear around 5-10MPH
I think most people agree that you should be in 2nd gear after the car is in motion. Say when I am in 2nd gear, rev is at around 1.2-2K and I try to apply gas, the front end of car would vibrate/shudder until I reach around 2K rev. This happens in every gear below 2K. Is this normal? Is it because I am too high in gear for that speed?

3. 5th gear(top gear) acceleration delay
Say I'm going at 60MPH in 5th gear. I let go off the gas, let it coast for a bit. Apply gas to accelerate, there is this half a second pause before it feels like the car accelerates. The rev doesn't climb up during this pause so I don't think it's slipping, but I find it odd that it's not a "direct" response to my foot. Is this due to DBW? I usually fix this by stepping on the gas slowly at the start.

Sorry for all the reading, I just want to minimize the wear on the clutch and learn the right way to drive manual.

Any comments will be helpful.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1. VWs clutch pedals do engage higher. just practice. you're thinking about it too much

2. yes its normal to jerk at low speeds. if Im in stop and go traffic I'll just keep it in 2nd with my foot on the clutch pedal all the way down and rev match when im ready to accelerate again

3. its normal. drive by wire delay saves engine wear and gas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. VWs clutch pedals do engage higher. just practice. you're thinking about it too much

2. yes its normal to jerk at low speeds. if Im in stop and go traffic I'll just keep it in 2nd with my foot on the clutch pedal all the way down and rev match when im ready to accelerate again

3. its normal. drive by wire delay saves engine wear and gas
1. Sorry, I think I didn't write that out correctly. I feel the Honda clutch is even higher than VW at 3/4 out on the travel.
I guess I was expecting the catch to happen at around 1/2 way through the travel. I read that higher engagement usually indicate a wore down clutch...

2. This is not really jerk, but this shudder/chattering feeling from the drivetrain.

·
Registered
333 Posts
the clutch on these civics is self adjusting. it will hold its position throughout the life of the clutch even when its completely worn out

either your foot timing is off, or what you are trying to describe is completely normal.
1st / 2nd gear at low rpms and low speed the car will shake its ass off

1 - 5 of 5 Posts