8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(besides their motorcycle)

Sure, the T500 doesn’t have four doors, all-wheel-drive or a hidden trunk, but in the realm of Honda history, the T-series truck line is significant. Before Sochiro tried his hand at sports cars or racers, the first four-wheeled Honda was a T300 in 1963. The truck range evolved in 1964, when the 531cc DOHC I4 from the S500 roadster was planted under hood. The mini motor cranked out only 38 hp at 7500 rpm and 31.1 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm, but it was sufficient to move the mighty mite through a quarter mile in 25 seconds and to an ultimate top speed of 65 mph. Not scorching by any means, but it did let the T500 return an average fuel economy of just under 50 mpg. Buyers could choose between either a flat- or pickup-bed, but either way, the tiny truck could lug a maximum load of 400 kg.
Read more: http://news.windingroad.com/etc/vintage-literature-1964-honda-t500/

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Kinda related and unrelated.. but we used to own a 1980-something Honda civic and it was the biggest piece of **** to ever find its way into our garage. It broke down a lot - I can't remember if it was the tranny or the motor, but one of them had to be replaced THREE times in the short time we had it before my parents tossed it. I laughed when my parents told me once how they brought it in to get it fixed and the mechanic didn't even know Honda made cars.

My parents refused to buy another Honda.. and somehow now we have a honda odyssey, a honda accord and two civics... Go figure.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Kinda related and unrelated.. but we used to own a 1980-something Honda civic and it was the biggest piece of **** to ever find its way into our garage. It broke down a lot - I can't remember if it was the tranny or the motor, but one of them had to be replaced THREE times in the short time we had it before my parents tossed it. I laughed when my parents told me once how they brought it in to get it fixed and the mechanic didn't even know Honda made cars.

My parents refused to buy another Honda.. and somehow now we have a honda odyssey, a honda accord and two civics... Go figure.
Too funny. I remember 70's era Hondas that had their wheels falling off when going around turns and the like. The 1976 Honda Accord was the first real attempt IMO for Honda to turn things around. At the time, I had a VW Scirocco and the Accord was a competitior for it. It was a really solid car, albeit slower and less maneuverable.

From that time on Honda's quality and reliability went up big time. The rest is history as they say.

OP, great find on the truck. I was kind of surprised by this. I had thought it was the S600. Great find!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
^ Hahahaha
Ultimate top speed of 65.
Wow, it's 1960+ and it gets around 50 mpg.
Honda ftw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts