8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I had to go from Raleigh to Atlanta this past weekend to start a new job. The direct route there is I-40 to I-85 through Charlotte and on to Atlanta. I, of course, chose instead I-40 to the Tail of the Dragon, then directly south to Atlanta. It took me about 12 hours vs 6, but was a LOT more fun.

The Dragon is way cool, even when you're as unlucky as I was, arriving there as it started to drizzle. Surprisingly, US-129 through the Chattahoochee forest was fun as well - more gaps between turns, but twisties even so.

I even averaged about 32.5 MPG on the tank that included the Dragon. I'm guessing that was partially due to going down out of the mountains, but I spent so much time in VTEC or hard on the brakes... the Si is just an amazing combination of performance and fuel economy. For the way back from ATL, I had to first stop at IKEA and load up with several hundred pounds of furniture... yet averaged 33.77 MPG (taking the boring interstate route).

Other random note... the Buckhead area of Atlanta is rather upscale. I walked out of the office Wednesday, and by the entrance of the building next door was this:
Veyron_16x12.jpg
The Roller and R8 in front of it paled by comparison.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. My first run on the dragon I intended to go slow but got a little carried away. It's a real blast to drive and the Si handles it very well. Stay safe :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
nice. If you are smooth, you won't hardly touch your brakes on the dragon. It truly is a skill set that comes with experience.

I'm looking to go in July for a few days as a warm up for the Sept meet.

edit: comments above are for non-experienced dragon drivers. it is very easy to enter the corners too fast.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Driving an Si on the Dragon involves a lot of: wind out second gear, bump the rev limiter, brake HARD, turn in and roll on throttle, repeat. There are some corners that you can carry your speed in 3rd gear (above 6000RPM).

Man! I never was able to get that kind of fuel mileage with my Si! I averaged 34mpg with my Fit when we were up there a couple of weeks ago. We're getting the Fits dialed in for Sept.

·
Registered
300 Posts
nice. If you are smooth, you won't hardly touch your brakes on the dragon. It truly is a skill set that comes with experience.

Awesome! Let us know when you are going to be there. We can meet you and hang out for a while.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
:woot: Firrari :giggle:

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Awesome! Let us know when you are going to be there. We can meet you and hang out for a while.
will do when plans get finalized. I'm looking at a Sunday night arrival, drive Monday & Tuesday and head home on Wednesday morning. I am expecting much clearer roads than the weekend, including less patrols

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts

edit: comments above are for non-experienced dragon drivers. it is very easy to enter the corners too fast.

Very true. On one of my first runs I came up to the double dips, and going over the first hump the car went light and I felt like I was going to lose it. Luckily it settled and I was on my way...I slowed down a bit after that

·
Registered
5 Posts
So... I had to go from Raleigh to Atlanta this past weekend to start a new job. The direct route there is I-40 to I-85 through Charlotte and on to Atlanta. I, of course, chose instead I-40 to the Tail of the Dragon, then directly south to Atlanta. It took me about 12 hours vs 6, but was a LOT more fun.

The Dragon is way cool, even when you're as unlucky as I was, arriving there as it started to drizzle. Surprisingly, US-129 through the Chattahoochee forest was fun as well - more gaps between turns, but twisties even so.

I even averaged about 32.5 MPG on the tank that included the Dragon. I'm guessing that was partially due to going down out of the mountains, but I spent so much time in VTEC or hard on the brakes... the Si is just an amazing combination of performance and fuel economy. For the way back from ATL, I had to first stop at IKEA and load up with several hundred pounds of furniture... yet averaged 33.77 MPG (taking the boring interstate route).

Other random note... the Buckhead area of Atlanta is rather upscale. I walked out of the office Wednesday, and by the entrance of the building next door was this:
View attachment 39776
The Roller and R8 in front of it paled by comparison.
The first drive on the Dragon is rather interesting and exciting; i still can feel the tinge of excitement that is had during my first drive. I was on my civic gx and it handled pretty well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Man I wish I could go. Just started new job so can't take leave. Can't wait till next year. Just got 08 Civic Si Sedan 4 Months ago and ready to put it to the challenge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i'm from missouri ..and for that reason i have never heard of this place..it sounds like a lot of fun...but as dumb is this will soud.......where is it?

·
Registered
752 Posts
My first run on the dragon I was stuck behind a crew of mini vans ... Best time to go is the middle of the week when no one is there!

Lane control is key.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts