8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone on 8thcivic! Just picked up my first 8gen a couple weeks ago and ever since I've been lurking this site and it has been able to answer any question that I've had about my car, so great job!

Now onto the write-up. It's my first one so bear with me.

The first thing I noticed about my car when I got in to test drive it before buying it was how trashed the steering wheel emblem was. Obviously this wasn't make-or-break, but something that I see a lot, every single day.

I ordered one of the JDM emblems from GrafiXpressions' website. I don't remember the price, but they have a great selection and everything on there is reasonably priced. I know eBay and Amazon also have some, probably for dirt cheap as well.

First things first! Before you start any project, pack your lip

Step 2)
Get everything that you need together. This should only take a few minutes and is fairly simple, but can give you some trouble. I picked up one of these utility knives at my local Advance Auto for less than a dollar. If you have some razor blades or an exacto knife, those will work fine.

Also I had this little guy lying around so I used it. Something similar will work, you just need a tiny flat-head to get under the stock emblem.

Step 3)
It would be beneficial to disconnect your battery before doing this. That way you're not honking the horn every 5 seconds, and so the airbag doesn't blow up in your face (you never know) or you can just do this and use one hand to pull toward you on the bag so it doesn't honk when you apply pressure.

I started with my small flat-head from the corners and worked my way around the outside. You need to be careful when doing this as you may damage the factory "leather" while doing this, so it may be beneficial work from the inside of the emblem towards the outside of the steering wheel.

Once I got it loosened up a bit, I slid my screwdriver in like so and began to pry up the emblem, careful to put the flat part of the driver only on the emblem and not the steering wheel itself to keep from damaging it.

As you work your way around, use your knife and begin to cut the tabs that bind the emblem to the airbag cover, careful to cut from the inside to, again, prevent damage to the airbag cover.

The tabs are really easy to cut, so it shouldn't give you any trouble

This is where the tabs are located

Step 4)
Clean the area; I just used some of these little makeup pads and some rubbing alcohol

Step 5)
Use your knife to remove the plastic covering the adhesive on the back of your new emblem, I tried with my finger nails and it just wanted to peel up the sticky-pad all together

Apply your emblem and use some force to make sure it is adhered

Take off the plastic from the front and you're all done!

Now keep in mind, if you disconnected your battery, you will obviously need to reconnect it. When you turn your car back on your radio won't work, if you still have the factory one. Press the power button, and it will say "enter code" I wa lucky enough to still have my original service record book, which has the radio code on the first page. If not, I'm sure someone on here has a thread about how to retrieve your code.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My emblem looks just like yours did before you did the mod!

Where did you buy your emblems? I found some cheap ones from Amazon. Just wondering if that'll do..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My emblem looks just like yours did before you did the mod!

Where did you buy your emblems? I found some cheap ones from Amazon. Just wondering if that'll do..
I found it on Grafixppression's site. You can google them and it should pop up. But I'm sure as long as it's not a sticker overlay, you should have the same result!

·
Registered
443 Posts
At 1st, I tried installing my Red "H" like this DIY calls for, but I didn't like the way the "H" wasn't flush, with the rest of the steering wheel cover.

I used a dremel and removed some of the black "raised" rubber, from the steering wheel.

I cut the 2 vertical black rubber strips and the 2 odd shaped (squareish/triangularish) black rubber high spots. You can see them in the OP's 10th and 11th photos, above.

The I test fitted again and I t was flush.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 1st, I tried installing my Red "H" like this DIY calls for, but I didn't like the way the "H" wasn't flush, with the rest of the steering wheel cover.

I used a dremel and removed some of the black "raised" rubber, from the steering wheel.

I cut the 2 vertical black rubber strips and the 2 odd shaped (squareish/triangularish) black rubber high spots. You can see them in the OP's 10th and 11th photos, above.

The I test fitted again and I t was flush.
I've been debating on doing the same thing, just really haven't had the time. Or more double sided tape. I'm thinking about just using some glue, but we will see what happens.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts