8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i've read the DIY here and countless threads. I'm going to do my first oil change on my own and just want to make sure I have everything set before leaving my only form of transportation on jack stands and without oil.

1. I already have an amsoil EA013 oil filter on the car. Is this a different size than stock and what oil filter wrench or tool should I use to loosen it.

2. Is there a gasket that I must replace when changing the oil filter. Or must I make sure that the old oil filter doesnt leave a gasket behind causes a leak when the new oil filter is added

3. Is a copper crush washer from advance auto parts or pepboys the same as the crush washers from the dealership? Are there different sizes and I have to find the honda size? If so what size does honda use. I really would like to avoid the dealership at all costs.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
1. i dont know
2. no gasket. gasket comes on the filter.
3.if it fits around the bolt you should be good.

its going to take a while to get the filter off. some people had to stab it with screwdriver to get it to turn. a oil filter wrentch is the best. thats what i used.

make sure you have patience for the first time. after this change it will be easy.

·
Registered
618 Posts
IMO...take it to the dealership for the first oil change so that you don't have so much trouble getting the oil filter off. Once they have done the first oil change, you will be ok to do it after that...Just my .02...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO...take it to the dealership for the first oil change so that you don't have so much trouble getting the oil filter off. Once they have done the first oil change, you will be ok to do it after that...Just my .02...
its not the first oil change, as I stated I already have an amsoil eao13 oil filter on the car which didnt come from factory >=D

It is my first do it yourself oil change

·
Registered
81 Posts
Alright i've read the DIY here and countless threads. I'm going to do my first oil change on my own and just want to make sure I have everything set before leaving my only form of transportation on jack stands and without oil.

1. I already have an amsoil EA013 oil filter on the car. Is this a different size than stock and what oil filter wrench or tool should I use to loosen it.

2. Is there a gasket that I must replace when changing the oil filter. Or must I make sure that the old oil filter doesnt leave a gasket behind causes a leak when the new oil filter is added

3. Is a copper crush washer from advance auto parts or pepboys the same as the crush washers from the dealership? Are there different sizes and I have to find the honda size? If so what size does honda use. I really would like to avoid the dealership at all costs.

Thank you very much
1) Not Sure, the change from stock to my PureOne filter was a different size, as far as the tool required to remove it. (*I THINK* hopefully I'm not confusing my new 8th gen civic, with my older 6th gen civic)

2) Just look at the filter after you pull it off, the gasket *should* be intact, but just run your finger around it to make sure it is still there, then no need to worry about the gasket getting left behind. The gasket comes, seated and everything on the new oil filter, not need to do anything except run a thin line of oil around it right before you're about to place it on your care.

3) Yeah, copper crush gaskets are copper crush gaskets, find something that is made for the oil drain bolt. There are also other solutions to copper crush gaskets/washers as well; but they should all be replaced every oil change. Other alternatives include vinyl washers, and I've even seen a 50/50 copper crush/rubber combo oil drain gasket as well. I currently have a vinyl oil drain plug gasket/washer and it works just fine.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
1. Go to an auto parts store and pick up that filter (if they stock it). Go over to the filter cup wrenches and find one that fits (that's what I did). If not, then I have no idea... If it's a little bigger than stock then just buy a cup that's a little bigger, there's not many sizes.

2. already answered.

3. I never replace the crush washers unless they're mangled. Kept the same one on my Ford for 40k and it still sealed. My Si's is on it's 3rd change and it still seals. On a plus I did lose the transmissions crush washer and Honda just gave me one, I didn't even buy my car from that dealer. I was expecting to pay a dollar or two.

·
Registered
81 Posts
snip. . .

3. I never replace the crush washers unless they're mangled. Kept the same one on my Ford for 40k and it still sealed. My Si's is on it's 3rd change and it still seals. On a plus I did lose the transmissions crush washer and Honda just gave me one, I didn't even buy my car from that dealer. I was expecting to pay a dollar or two.
While you may have had no problems using the same copper crush washer, it is really not recommended, based on the fact that copper crush washer's are meant to distort a little bit, thats how they form a good seal.

Its really silly not to spend the ~$0.50 (for 5 vinyl washers) or ~$1.00 (for a single copper crush washer). Its such a small investment, and it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
u can use an aluminum crush too...

try to use a bag when unscrewing the filter so you dont get oil all over your underbody... and your shirt...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Its best to use a crush ring thats made from the same metal as the bolt/oil pan or else the metals can oxidize. That or use the vinyl rings.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I did the first oil change at a honda dealership specifically to loosen the oil filter for future oil changes (and because I had a free oil change voucher). When I went to do my second change I could not get the filter off using my hands or a filter wrench (which didn't fit in the small space). I ended up using the screwdriver method and cutting my hands numerous times on the pierced filter while unscrewing it. I don't think the Honda dealership replaced my filter on the first oil change, I think they do it every other time. So if you bring it to the dealer, make sure they replace it or at least loosen it for you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the first oil change at a honda dealership specifically to loosen the oil filter for future oil changes (and because I had a free oil change voucher). When I went to do my second change I could not get the filter off using my hands or a filter wrench (which didn't fit in the small space). I ended up using the screwdriver method and cutting my hands numerous times on the pierced filter while unscrewing it. I don't think the Honda dealership replaced my filter on the first oil change, I think they do it every other time. So if you bring it to the dealer, make sure they replace it or at least loosen it for you.
Was that south motors...I've had horrible service from that dealer. So much so that I need to get a camera and start a thread and a letter to honda of america about it.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I went to Pompano Honda, and they are a terrible dealer. They are the same place that told me my stability system broke due to my interior neons plugged into the 12V cigarette lighter! A different dealer fixed the problem- no questions asked. I wish I had gotten a customer survey for Pompano Honda, I would have ripped them a new one.

·
Banned
107 Posts
take off your oil pan also, the reason why they say take it to the dealship in the first 6k miles is so they can get all the metal shaving out..

the first 6 k miles is where the real wear n tear happends.. thats why they say take it easy.

just remove your oil pan. and clean it out, buy new oilpan gasket for it

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
or just put a magnetic drain bolt in. then you will always be safe.

·
Banned
107 Posts
man if you love your honda youl doit.

those mag bolts don't work as well as people think.. go ahead and buy 1, and still take off your oil pan and youl see.. how much it really got

stop being lazy :eek:hsnap:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts