8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my TW is 10 months old and i'm gonna try my hand at claying + waxing it for the first time ... i havent done this before so i need some help ...

heres what i'm planning to do:

wash with meguiars NXT
dry
clay bar with meguiars smooth surface clay kit (any other product recommended by someone?)
wash with meguiars NXT again
wax with meguiars NXT generation tech wax

i've tried the NXT car wash and its good, but i'm not sure if the clay and wax are the best fit for a TW ... any suggestions? i want the best results on white !

also, where and why would i use a polish ? do i need it ???

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Clay and Wax are good no matter what. Clay for removing dirt and grime and spotty parts from the paint. What doesn't help is that the white is pretty flat, and it's hard to get that really deep shine. Maybe layer it over with some carnuba wax after your tech wax, and it'll be a little more "wet" looking.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
HeLLz aNgeL said:
i've also been coming across products like mothers three step system.

https://store.mothers.com/product_info.php?products_id=59

should i stick to my original stuff or try one of these ? experiences ??
I generally use basic claybar stuff, off the shelf kinda thing. But, I use Zaino on my car. It's a pretty flat polish that gets a little deep on the third coat or so, but most people I know use some carnuba on top of that to deepen the shine.

·
Premium Member
81,069 Posts
I noticed you didn't mention polish. Claying removes all of the protectants from the paint. So you need to polish and wax if I remember correctly. At least thats what I always do when I clayed.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
first of all, it is totallk pointless to wash your car again with the NXT wash after you clayed your car. Secondly, when you clay your car the lubricant you are using when you clay essentially is polish so there really is no need for a polish. The NXT tech wax is my favorite one on my nhbp FA5. It looks great. Hope that answers some of your questions.

·
idgaf
6,953 Posts
use dish washer soap first before claying

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wakeboarder11 said:
first of all, it is totallk pointless to wash your car again with the NXT wash after you clayed your car. Secondly, when you clay your car the lubricant you are using when you clay essentially is polish so there really is no need for a polish. The NXT tech wax is my favorite one on my nhbp FA5. It looks great. Hope that answers some of your questions.
thanks ! you gust saved me a good hour here :p

so once i clay, i can move straight on to the wax without any problems ??

Also, i've heard that using dawn dries up you paint and when you wax, it would be harmful for the paint in the long run .. true ???

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
HeLLz aNgeL said:

Also, i've heard that using dawn dries up you paint and when you wax, it would be harmful for the paint in the long run .. true ???
Somewhat true. While repeated washes with dawn are not a good idea, most of us here use it to take off whatever the dealer has put on. Also, my zaino instructions says to do so when applying Zaino for the first time, so the polish and protectant sticks better.

·
Registered
50,064 Posts
Wakeboarder11 said:
dont get it twisted

claybarring isnt polishing by any means.

claying removes sediments from your paint

polish preps the surface for your lsp aka wax.

wash then clay, then polish, then wax

·
Registered
50,064 Posts
with a polish product lol

it will remove oxidation and preps your paint for the last step product aka a wax.

if your polish is agressive enough it will remove swirls

·
Registered
375 Posts
06 Civic Ex said:
with a polish product lol

it will remove oxidation and preps your paint for the last step product aka a wax.

if your polish is agressive enough it will remove swirls
what would a good polish be? it has been a wial since i have waxed my car been really laxy but lets be honest its just 2 ******* hot 2 stay outside in FL for 4 hours washing and waxing a car when there is a heat index of 105

also would multiple layers of was do anything 2 protect the paint on a long road trip? or dose it just make it look good? i normaly just use turtle wax ice

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
on my TW i use the meguiars stuff except for the wax. My black magic wax is good but a pain to remove.

Wash car (meguiars Gold wash stuff)
Claybar (meguiars kit)
Paint cleaner (step 1 on meguiars)
Polish (step 2 on meguiars)
Wax (step 3 on meguiars)

Layering of waxing can be done but with a layering wax aka Zymol

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
HeLLz aNgeL said:

You don't want to make a habit of using dishwashing detergent on car paint. I use Meguiars Gold Class soap which is specifically designed for washing cars. As for the claying/waxing, you are good to go with the wax after you have clayed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
ya exactly what everyone else said. its ok to use like once in a blue moon but dont make a habit of using dishwasher soap. in the long run will mess up ur paint.

·
Registered
50,064 Posts
ugh thats a myth

it dries paints with oils in the car paint

todays paint doesnt have any oils in it.

its degreasing abilities and its concentration wreak havoc on the paint itself so use a proper paint prepper like griots garage

1 - 20 of 23 Posts