8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after talking to my parents about a car, they said I can get one during the summer or end of the year as long as I pay for more than half and pay for gas. One issue! They keep changing the bloody minds!!! I have been saving for a long time now and have almost 4k (keep in mind that I am only 17, and only worked one summer) Pretty much not spending any money on anything just to try to afford one... And if I'm no going to get one, WTF am I doing!

OK... moving on. Currently I drive my dad's CRV whenever he's not using it, and although it gets the job done, its a piece of crap (1999) Its slow, its dated, and the interior and stereo suck. (My dad's trying to get an IS250 for next year) And I have a feeling hes not going to give me the CRV and just use the money form selling to towards the car...

My choices (if things go as I planned) are to get a car 8k max.

Now I know this is a civic forum, and originally I thought I could afford an Si, things don't look that way right now, so I have to downgrade.

-2001-2004 IS300 (Really like this car, but parents think 2001 is too old, and RWD to them means I'll kill myself... Also the cost of winter tires, and timing belt possibly)
-2008 Scion Tc (To me its just meh, looks ok, but here in Canada they are rare, so I'll stand out- if thats a plus?)
-2006 Honda Civic EX (I've driven one of these and they seem sluggish, but they look great, insurance is a negative- well on all these cars)

Anything else I should consider? (something reliable and pretty fresh)

Also my parents are combating by saying other people my age don't and will not have cars. I hate being compared to others... regardless they say a car isn't necessary for University at all (keep in mind, they aren't from here)

Help me out, and give me some good counter points :)

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
OK... moving on. Currently I drive my dad's CRV whenever he's not using it, and although it gets the job done, its a piece of crap (1999) Its slow, its dated, and the interior and stereo suck. (My dad's trying to get an IS250 for next year) And I have a feeling hes not going to give me the CRV and just use the money form selling to towards the car...
Sucks for your dad, the IS250 is, without any question, the worst luxury car I've ever driven.

My choices (if things go as I planned) are to get a car 8k max.

Now I know this is a civic forum, and originally I thought I could afford an Si, things don't look that way right now, so I have to downgrade.

-2001-2004 IS300 (Really like this car, but parents think 2001 is too old, and RWD to them means I'll kill myself... Also the cost of winter tires, and timing belt possibly)[/QUOTE

Winter tires aren't too expensive, but being that you're young and won't necessarily have a steady cash flow, they're probably right.

-2008 Scion Tc (To me its just meh, looks ok, but here in Canada they are rare, so I'll stand out- if thats a plus?)
I don't see any bright pink VW Beetles around here with "I love the Jonas Brothers" bumper stickers plastered all over them here in the US so if I get one I'll stand out, is that a plus?

-2006 Honda Civic EX (I've driven one of these and they seem sluggish, but they look great, insurance is a negative- well on all these cars)
All Civics are slow, even the Si, it's not why people buy them....at least I hope it's not the reason why people buy them.

Anything else I should consider? (something reliable and pretty fresh)
Not much here to recommend. You're young and your budget is limited. In all honestly the Civic EX is probably your best bet plus it SHOULD last a while. I'd also look at used Acura RSXs possibly. Maybe older WRX's?

Also my parents are combating by saying other people my age don't and will not have cars. I hate being compared to others... regardless they say a car isn't necessary for University at all (keep in mind, they aren't from here)

Help me out, and give me some good counter points :)
Most people your parents age don't go around driving a Lexus and they don't need it at all...see it can work both ways. They'd probably refute that they can afford to do it...so you'll just have to show them that you can afford it as well.

You've earned your money, just show you've done the homework and show them a budget showing how you can comfortably afford the car...if you can't do that then you obviously shouldn't get the car.

Don't forget to take into account for whatever school expenses you may have to pay.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know i will probobly get flamed for saying this, but look at the mazda 6. They are good cars and you can find good used ones. They are not too sluggish also.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
if i was in your case....i'll get a car that would cost less than 3000 then fix it...and try to make it as reliable as possible...a car that would take me from point a to point b.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winter tires aren't too expensive, but being that you're young and won't necessarily have a steady cash flow, they're probably right.

I don't see any bright pink VW Beetles around here with "I love the Jonas Brothers" bumper stickers plastered all over them here in the US so if I get one I'll stand out, is that a plus?

All Civics are slow, even the Si, it's not why people buy them....at least I hope it's not the reason why people buy them.

Not much here to recommend. You're young and your budget is limited. In all honestly the Civic EX is probably your best bet plus it SHOULD last a while. I'd also look at used Acura RSXs possibly. Maybe older WRX's?

Most people your parents age don't go around driving a Lexus and they don't need it at all...see it can work both ways. They'd probably refute that they can afford to do it...so you'll just have to show them that you can afford it as well.

You've earned your money, just show you've done the homework and show them a budget showing how you can comfortably afford the car...if you can't do that then you obviously shouldn't get the car.

Don't forget to take into account for whatever school expenses you may have to pay.
I still have 1 whole year to work to save up for the essential stuff my parents want me to pay for (such as books)

I looked in RSX's and while they are nice cars, they are strangely too popular at my school 5 people with them... But really who cares if your driving the same car. Regardless, they are bit costly for insurance but are in my budget for sure.

As for the IS300 its only on my list as I can get it from my cousin (she rarely drives the car) and it has crazy low milage for a 2001 I think 70k. She is willing to give me a good deal $5000 or so. And with the cost of winter tires and T-Belt change uncle is a mechanic :) it would come up to 6k (I was planning to put in BC Cams and a Cam Gear ($700 total) to bump the horsepower by around 25. All in the car would be under 8k with taxes and import fees paid- I am in Canada, but USA is convenient as I got family there, and it saves a ton! The IS has a salvage title, but it was repaired by my uncle.

As for the Tc, I'm just not feeling it...

WRX- love the car, just not the costs... Here insuring me under that vehicle is hell!!

Regardless, I'll have to calculate all the costs, etc. of the car choices this weekend. One other thing, my dad told me that the IS wont last long as its old... The car was never driven in the winter! I have faith that it will last.

Thanks for the honest help! Now I need to get a job and work my ass off to show I deserve it! (But my parents are against me working...) Its so confusing with them. What can you do ;)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
dude you are 17, the civic has enough power for you and for the average driver. the civic ex is a perfect first car especially looking at your situation. the lexus is a money eater (parts and labor to maintain it)

The scion is a good choice but it snot a flashy car so it wont stand out that much lol

civic ex = best choice IMO, reliability, safety, uses little gas, cheaper to insure (assuming its a 4 door)

especially since you wanna spend 8k dont be so picky about speed, being 17 your a cops wet dream

·
Registered
217 Posts
I say go with an EX, because it is your first car. You don't need a lot of power or anything like that. You can be unique for putting a good suspension on it and actually KNOWING how to upgrade a car usefully. I own an Si and most of the time I have it under 4 grand anyway so it might as well be an EX. The best part about a EX for 6 to 8k$ is it has lost most of its worth upfront so you can beat the hell out of it for the next 4 years and then sell the thing for 4k when you get a good job to buy something you will really want.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
You can buy a 2006 Civic EX for 8,000? Holy christ i figured they'd hold much better value than that. How many miles are on the beast? Every listing i see on Craigs, Autotrader is 10-16,000.

Where are you finding one for 2 grand under that? Because i'd get a carfax report and have it HIGHLY inspected by a mechanic. Make sure it hasn't been flooded or rebuilt.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, i underestimated a bit. More like $9500, but regardless they have over 90k-120k! Oth than that carfax said it was clean.

I think I'm leaning toward the IS300 as other than a timing belt change, its ready for the next 60k. That and I can get it for much cheaper than Hondas. All that worries me is RWD in the winter. Does anyone have some tips, and on how easy it is to drive?

Max I can afford to spend on the actual car is 6-7k, but if it worth the 8k, I can work something out...

Buying a decent car is harder than I thought.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I think I'm leaning toward the IS300 as other than a timing belt change, its ready for the next 60k. That and I can get it for much cheaper than Hondas. All that worries me is RWD in the winter. Does anyone have some tips, and on how easy it is to drive?
I have a G35 and driving in the winter isn't bad, we get our fair share of snow as well...this past winter DC got the most snow it's ever had. Since you're in Canada, I'd just get a decent set of winter tires, don't go cheap though, tires are the only part of the car that actually come in contact with the ground so be very careful, as far as tires go, you get what you pay for.

Even with winter tires, the only thing you have to do is be easy on the throttle, accelerate gradually, and brake earlier than you would if it were dry, also increase following distances from the cars in front of you. Should your car drift outta control, never slam the brakes, you do the opposite, tap the throttle (or just coast), while guiding the wheel, the car will straighten out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts