8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, as the post said, i am finally past the break in period. and well, i finally took it out to have some fun with it and DAMN i love the limited slip. i wish i would of had it in my ep3. also i was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me. well, when i am tryin to race the si i can take off the line just fine but when it comes to shifting from 1st to 2nd i can't seem to keep it in vtec range. but, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th i can hit it just fine. is it the car? or is it me? maybe i ain't launching at the right rpm cuz i launch it at 4k well, if anyone has this same problem as me or someone can help me fix this problem and tell me what i may be doing wrong please help.

(also i got a set of bumpers and stock wing for sale for a satin silver ep3 )

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I don't have an SI to help, but I'm guessing its the gearing.

Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.267, 2nd: 2.130, 3rd: 1.517, 4th: 1.147, 5th: 0.921, 6th: 0.659, Reverse: 3.583, Final Drive: 4.765

from looking at the numbers, the best thing I can say is it's probably just having to do with the gear ratios. All of the others are going to be much closer - 1st to 2nd has the largest gap.

I'm sorry I can say from experience driving the car, but that's my guess. There are only maybe 5 SI members on here right now, and I don't know how hard they are driving the car. Most of them got their car like the day before Christmas or the week following. I don't know if anyone is out of break in yet besides yourself. A ton of people all have deposits down and are all waiting on honda to deliver their car.

Hang tight though, I'm sure people will be helpful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
06_civic_si_gi said:
well, as the post said, i am finally past the break in period. and well, i finally took it out to have some fun with it and DAMN i love the limited slip. i wish i would of had it in my ep3. also i was wondering if anyone has the same problem as me. well, when i am tryin to race the si i can take off the line just fine but when it comes to shifting from 1st to 2nd i can't seem to keep it in vtec range. but, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th i can hit it just fine. is it the car? or is it me? maybe i ain't launching at the right rpm cuz i launch it at 4k well, if anyone has this same problem as me or someone can help me fix this problem and tell me what i may be doing wrong please help.

(also i got a set of bumpers and stock wing for sale for a satin silver ep3 )
When you're shifting from 1 to 2 in vtec, are you waiting until just before the rev limiter kicks in? When I'm driving my Si and I want to stay in vtec from 1 to 2 I have to push it until the shift light stays solid and then shift, otherwise I drop below the vtec change over, It's tricky to hit that perfect spot and not the rev limiter but when you do, the car stays in vtec fine. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah that did help, i just got back from trying that i was always shifting about 7800-7900 (damn i love that shift light) how many miles do you have on yours? where you hard on it before you pass the break in period?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have taken it to 7K a few times so far on mine, and i'm only on around 350 miles so far. I know that its always been difficult to stay in Vtech from 1st to 2nd, but as stated, to 8200 and chirp it, and you should stay in range! Man, I hated waiting on the car to get here, and now I hate waiting to open her up :driving: enjoy

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i know how it feels... but, right at 600 miles i stopped and smoked my tires :) it was well, worth the wait you will know what i am talking about when you try it yourself.....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Its just the gearing that drops you outta VTEC between 1st and 2nd. You can shift at like 8100 or so, but I don't like to, as 8000 is high enough as it is. I am not even sure I'd want it so be in VTEC instantly in 2nd anyways. I chirp 2nd pretty good if I shift at 7900, so I can only imagine the wheel spin or loss of traction I'd get entering 2nd if I was in VTEC. That might be why the gears are spaced like they are.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i never thought of that it does make sense but, i don't it mad amount of wheel spin if i stay in vtec from 1st to 2nd...

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, yeah but it just seems fast the way i do it. we should find each other someday and race lol then we could finally find out which is faster. do you have summer tires on? or just the stock ones?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey man, I'm finally up to around 900 miles and i've taken it to glory many times!! What a rush!! Now that it's beginning to learn the way I drive, I'll be going up at least 3 to 4 times a day. You know what i've noticed though, the damn thing hates to slow down!! It hates to even be in the lower rpm range!! I can't even get outa 2nd before I'm way past all the speed limits where i'm at!! 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, gone!!!!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL yeah that is how i feel everytime i get in the drivers seat. you get pulled over yet? i almost did when i raced a 00 integra gs-r with the basics (intake, header, exhaust)and it had a vtec controller also it had a 95 gsr computer and it had a bodykit. and the funny thing is this si smoked the **** out of it. it is soo much faster them my old ep3. also i like not havin a bodykit again cuz the cop went after the teg first an i ran and got away. any race stories from anyone else with a si?

·
Registered
78 Posts
06_civic_si_gi said:
LOL yeah that is how i feel everytime i get in the drivers seat. you get pulled over yet? i almost did when i raced a 00 integra gs-r with the basics (intake, header, exhaust)and it had a vtec controller also it had a 95 gsr computer and it had a bodykit. and the funny thing is this si smoked the **** out of it. it is soo much faster them my old ep3. also i like not havin a bodykit again cuz the cop went after the teg first an i ran and got away. any race stories from anyone else with a si?

Nah, not yet!! It's bound to happen at some point though!! I have a new race story. This dude pulls up in one of the newer Mustangs, and rolls down the window, asks me "Is that the new Civic Si"? I said yea, wanna run? He kinda laughs and says, Are you sure? I said hell yea!! So we wait for green, and both of us hit it good, and we were right together till the next light!! He says holy ****, I can't believe how fast that thing is! Then he wants to go again, so we do, and still even!! I think the dude got a little peeved that my little Civic kept up with his big ol Mustang!! Couldn't tell if it was a GT or not though. Also, tried my hand at a SRT-4, got smoked no matter what I did!!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol i have someone here with a srt4 but i wasn't sure to race him or not.. how bad did you lose? (cuz i heared this kid can't drive very good)anyone know if they have a stock lsd? oh and i will have to remember that about the mustangs there is one here that always likes to bash on the civic and now i will show him whats up lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts