8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of research past couple of months what suspension kit i should go for hfp or mugen sport suspension for my 07 4dr SI.

I know the money factor there is a lot difference between the HFP and Mugen but i at last i thought Mugen would be a more worth while investment in long term versus the HFP.

So if anyone wants to share their views on this topic please do so i am open to any discussion here?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I love the Mugen SS, and highly recommend it. Great balance of sportiness and comfort. Mild drop, feels more neutral and composed. Biggest downside of course, is the pretty penny you'd spend on it brand new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the Mugen SS, and highly recommend it. Great balance of sportiness and comfort. Mild drop, feels more neutral and composed. Biggest downside of course, is the pretty penny you'd spend on it brand new.
do you have an SI, do you drive your car daily for work use and how long have you had the suspension for?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
do you have an SI, do you drive your car daily for work use and how long have you had the suspension for?
Yeah I have an Si. Drive 60 miles a day, so daily drivability is a big must for me. My friend rode in it for 20 min today and said he couldn't tell a difference (he's totally not into cars so he's good measure of how user-friendly a mod is). I've had it for about a week (bought it used with I think 10k ish miles).

I can't talk about HFP since I've never been in a car w/ one. I've heard that it rides stiff, which is a big reason why I opted to spend more $$$ on Mugen.

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
HFP - factory warrantied
Mugen - altho i would def. admitt its better & better for resale too... no factory warranty (unless you own a Mugen Si in which the suspension is standard).

you pick! i have HFP myself & i love it. if i had the money for Mugen & also a damn good sell on my current HFP setup, i'd do it.

i think of my HFP stuff as a good "1 step down" from TOO expensive for now. :)

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Are those Mugen Sport Suspensions designed for the USDM FA5 or FG2? Both? Or are they designed for the JDM and/ or EDM Markets and happen to "fit" on our USDM cars?

I have HFP Sport Suspension BTW, I love it! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
I guarantee it will not be a good "investment"...

it may perform just fine, and potentially better than the HFP, but still... it's quite a fair margin more expensive, and I certainly don't expect you'll actually get that extra 50% (or whatever % extra it costs over HFP) for that..

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Can the mugen suspension ( or any aftermarket supspension for our cars for that matter ) fit the coupe?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that the drop will not be as much as HFP but i have heard that the performance of the two HFP and Mugen are up to par or have little difference between the two depending on what feature you are comparing.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I guarantee it will not be a good "investment"...

it may perform just fine, and potentially better than the HFP, but still... it's quite a fair margin more expensive, and I certainly don't expect you'll actually get that extra 50% (or whatever % extra it costs over HFP) for that..
Gimme a break.

Ppl spend an extra $2000 to save 1-2 lbs per rim, everybody ooh's and aah's, saying pretentious garbage like "you got to pay to play." Yes, I'm sure for the money you feel a 300% return from light $1k wheels. Spend $600 more on suspension and people say it's a rip-off. Or, people spend $1.5k+ on "adjustable" coilovers that only adjust the compression not rebound--and people think it's awesome.

My point is it's quite arbitrary on the board as far as what's "worth it" or not--and most of the time it's like some superficial high-school popularity contest.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My friend has the hfp suspension and compaired to my stock it rolls less, steering input seems quicker, and firmer overall.. how ever it still pushes hard. looking at the mugen specs online you can tell that there would be alot more rear bias in spring rate allowing the car to rotate more in the turns. the type r is one of the fastest front wheel drive all motor cars ever made.. and this is mugen so even if there isnt a HUGE improvement over stock (type r) then its still WAAYY better then our setups. **you dont have to rock 10, 12, 14k springs to go fast. if anyone wants an idea on what changing the suspension on our chassis does buy the new bestmotoring.. there is alot of tuning done on the new R and more times then not the car was slower in the turns.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Less body roll... quicker steering input... stiffer ride...
less understeer (push)

IMO the Mugen Set-Up is the
HFP Set-Up with different stickers/colors... :popcorn:
Hooray for unsubstantiated statements!

And without specifics on HFP spring rate and valve rate, it's sheer conjecture.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
Gimme a break.

Ppl spend an extra $2000 to save 1-2 lbs per rim, everybody ooh's and aah's, saying pretentious garbage like "you got to pay to play." Yes, I'm sure for the money you feel a 300% return from light $1k wheels. Spend $600 more on suspension and people say it's a rip-off. Or, people spend $1.5k+ on "adjustable" coilovers that only adjust the compression not rebound--and people think it's awesome.

My point is it's quite arbitrary on the board as far as what's "worth it" or not--and most of the time it's like some superficial high-school popularity contest.
Well I wouldn't pay $2K for a set of rims alone either.

I was just trying to point out there is a reasonable limit as to how much to spend for improved handling and the Mugen kit appears to be beyond that limit, while the HFP kit may not be over that limit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts