8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. This was not exactly the best overall experience. I had a friend help me on Monday night. For the most part everything went fine as far as getting everything off. The only exception being, trying to get the belt off (the tensioner is rather hard to figure out). Anyways the big problem came after getting everything off and getting the alternator and water pump pulleys on fine. I got in my car and put it in 5th gear and held the brake while my friend put the crank pulley on. The problem was that he started the bolt with an impact wrench and cross threaded it inside the crank. I was scared out of my freakin mind. We left it sit for a couple days til I figured out what to do. Finally I talked to my neighbor who works for a machine shop and is like a genious with metal working. Thankfully he was able to get a tap and we fixed the hole and torqued the bolt to the spec yesterday. My advice to everyone is not to use impact wrenches at all except to try to get that bolt off!!! You can do a lot of damage with an impact wrench, so BE CAREFUL!!! If too much damage was done I would have had to buy a new crank and get it installed which would have cost close to $1500 prolly.

P.S. As far as performance from these pulleys. The car has better acceleration, its not a drastic improvement but is definitely more fun to drive and worth it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
sorry to here about the trouble. I had posted a few things about my experience months ago. I opted for torching the crank bolt of few times and it came right off.
It will take a week or so to get the most out of the mod( as with any mod).
I love my pully kit, but i agree it can be a pain in the a** to install.
so for those who plan on doing it, i highly recommend torching the crank bolt(came off very nice).

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
so you would say u dont regret buying it....ive been thinking about buying the kit but 250 seems like a little much for just pullys....im just scared to get them put em on and not be happy with them

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Whoa... the crank was a B!tch to take out..

impact did not work with it..

I suggest you guys use this tool..

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-64879...288869-2075930

and a 3/4" Breaker bar with an extension of at least 36"

It was easy afterwords...

I have to say.. i didnt feel much of an improvement..

I felt better gains from the P2R TBS but i do not regret buying this item because i bought it for $190 shipped from an 8thcivic member.. and it made my engine bay looked really nice.

Brand new is $250 shipped with a long waiting period. I would rather save another $50 and buy X's custom intake instead.

Update:

After hitting vtec.. i feel a slight improvement..

and car does idle better.. i am on 280 miles with a 1/4 gas left.. I usually hit 280 once the the light blinks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The install can be a little tough if this is your first time messing with pulleys or you don't have the proper tools. There is only one bolt holding the crank pulley in place, so you can imagine how tight it needs to be to hold properly. It's not childsplay. I did the installation with a few experienced friends and everything went well.

The improvement in response is definitely there, and who doesn't like better gas mileage? Calculate the amount of money you can save on gas these days and all of a sudden that $250 looks better and better. How many other things can do that for us?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Some pix of the NST Pulleys installed.

After 1 week of experience, i do notice better throttle response.. it pulls quicker and i can already tell that im saving gas.

But for $250 i would rather save another $50 and get x-intake

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'm planning on ordering me a set for my R18 very soon but i'm just waiting for my money account to fill up again. this passed weekend i ordered my k&n sri and tmw short shifter kit. do you remember what belt you ended up needing for the pulleys? just wanted to know so i can get the right one, want to get the pulleys put in along with my exhaust. any of you ever get the "itch" and start buying a bunch of stuff for your car in such a short period of time? haha

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i'm planning on ordering me a set for my R18 very soon but i'm just waiting for my money account to fill up again. this passed weekend i ordered my k&n sri and tmw short shifter kit. do you remember what belt you ended up needing for the pulleys? just wanted to know so i can get the right one, want to get the pulleys put in along with my exhaust. any of you ever get the "itch" and start buying a bunch of stuff for your car in such a short period of time? haha
you use the same belt that is in your car right now.

I hate the "itch" i get it in the summer time alot.

Since my car is stored for the season, I do not want any more parts for it right now.

Now with all these new games coming for PC.
I have the "itch" for computer parts. Upgrading my mem from 2Gb to 3GB, X1900 crossfire to 2900 Directx10, PSU 550 Watts to 850 Watts, AMD 5000+x2 to 6400+ x2 Black edition, and XP Pro to Vista.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The K20 kit uses the stock belt. The R18 kit needs a new belt and NST lists the belt number on their site. I've had these pulleys on my car for a while now and it is money well spent.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I really want these pulleys!!! How much more mpg do u guys get that have these?
To be honest, I didn't see that much of a gain in any aspect like I expected. Before I got these I was under the impression that this would make a HUGE difference, but, for the amount of time and stress installing these it didn't feel like it was completely worth it.

I noticed a bit more pull, but slight. And my MPG went up maybe 2 MPG, 3 at the most.

I dunno, maybe if I drove a stock EX for comparison I might feel the difference...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pulleys are pretty nice. Haven't seen any drastic improvement, but better acceleration. Its kinda funny cause after I put them on it makes a wining sound now and my friend was riding in my car the other day and said it sounds like its supercharged. hahaha I wish

·
Registered
207 Posts
i noticed a difference in the higher rpm's

but i had a shop do my install just so i didnt mess it up, but make sure for the R18 u get the rite belt, i bought 2 belts before i found out that you had to special order the rite belt size. so before u install them go to pep boyz and special order the correct belt size. it has to be a 7 rib belt, 6 will not work cause the belt will move on the pulleys

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.