8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To look under the car to make sure they actually installed the angled defouler on my car, becuase the CEL has been on since i got the header installed... The defouler is in, so whats the deal? they put in a brand new secondary 02 sensor at the time of install but do you think it could be bad? maybe they banged it up before putting it in? also they are $100 brand new from the stealership, but i found an 02 on ebay for $20 what are your takes on this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OXYGEN-SENSOR-honda-CIVIC-73-06-05-04-03-02-01-00-99-98_W0QQitemZ330179983494QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
JOsh

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Civicn33b said:
To look under the car to make sure they actually installed the angled defouler on my car, becuase the CEL has been on since i got the header installed... The defouler is in, so whats the deal? they put in a brand new secondary 02 sensor at the time of install but do you think it could be bad? maybe they banged it up before putting it in? also they are $100 brand new from the stealership, but i found an 02 on ebay for $20 what are your takes on this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OXYGEN-SENSOR-honda-CIVIC-73-06-05-04-03-02-01-00-99-98_W0QQitemZ330179983494QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
JOsh
That ebay one is 1 wire. I believe ours is 4, I'm gonna say that's a no go.

For after market go with Bosch, about the same as OEM and much cheaper.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do we think thats definately what the prop is? I mean i have the angled defouler which is supposed to be better than the normal one, and ive had this cel since 80 miles after install, ive reset the ECU a couple times since and it always comes back...

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also could you link me to a store that actually carries the bosch for our cars lol, ive call advanced, autozone, and pep boys and non of them have it for our cars, they say its too new

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'll have to look later when I get home for the Bosch thing.

Have you put a scan tool on it to be 100% sure it IS an O2 sensor code?

When you do reset the ECU how long is it before you throw a CEL again?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
usually about 200 miles, and i have not seen what codes its throwing I think im gonna head to autozone and check after work... But ive had catback and CAI for a long while with no CEL and then I put on my DCRH and 80 miles later I got a CEL, then I sent off my ECU to hondata hoping maybe that would clear it up and still had a cel when it returned... I mean it runs fine, its just bothering me, and I think its trying to compensate and im burning more fuel plus id never know if something else went wrong if I dont get it fixed now.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
IIRC, the CEL affects nothing about how your car runs.. Pretty much just is telling you that your cat is not working and you should get it fixed. I had mine pop on after about 80 miles without my defouler. Just put it on this weekend and no CEL after 150 miles. I have the straight one.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ i dont know if i totally agree, I believe to an extent it will affect the way your car burns fuel, if its related. Ive been getting around 50mi lower per tank and havent been VTAKKK'in anymore than usual... just my .02

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
hmmm you have a cat still right?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
you can add on a cat...what i meant was did he add on a hi flow cat after he installed the headers at a shop or something

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
solidust said:
you can add on a cat...what i meant was did he add on a hi flow cat after he installed the headers at a shop or something
Don't think so.. He just has the angled defouler which will eliminate the CEL usually, but it hasn't in his case.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
cat is important to the ecu i'm not like a mechanic or anything but maybe the cat will delete the cel

·
Registered
376 Posts
k20z3 Koop said:
That ebay one is 1 wire. I believe ours is 4, I'm gonna say that's a no go.

For after market go with Bosch, about the same as OEM and much cheaper.

Im Pretty Sure the honda oxygen sensor is 5 wire which is a faster responding sensor.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
the primary 02 sensor(furthest to the front) is a wideband sensor. the secondary is a 4 wire and is strictly for emissions. it does not effect performance. it simply alerts the owner if there is an issue with his emissions system(cat/exhaust/etc.) so it can be easily diagnosed instead of throwing a code and putting the whole car in "limp mode".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts