8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally had the time to install the cams and dyno. here are my graphs. this was on a dyno dynamics w/ dyno jet numbers. my mods are as indicated on the title: skunk2 stage 1 cams, skunk2 exhaust cam gear, injen cai, dcrh, and custom 2.5 exhaust. the only thing left on my list is the hondata reflash, but that will have to wait. here goes. oh, btw, ignore the 89 supra heading. the guy forgot to erase it from a previous dyno run. here goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just sent you a PM. Noone has done testing with those cams without a reflash (except you now) and it is not recommended as the fuel tables and VTC tables are far from where they should be. Strongly recommend getting a reflash. A bigger exhuast should help too. Not to mention X's new intake system and MAF for camm'ed motors.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the air fuel ratio was stated in one of the graphs. its OK to my knowledge. once vtec hits, it stays at 13 to 1 consistently all the way to redline. so the ecu is doing fine with these cams and my mods.

SpeedDemon said:
How did your air, and fuel ratio come out with those cams?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am planning for the reflash, just dont have the funds right now. i know i'll get alot more midrange and maybe alittle more up top peak power not to mention i'll also get better cam timing settings for the skunk2 cams. so, that'll definitely be in the picture. i would recommend these cams in any case, my graphs show that its running fine especially at vtec.

Skunk2TS said:
Just sent you a PM. Noone has done testing with those cams without a reflash (except you now) and it is not recommended as the fuel tables and VTC tables are far from where they should be. Strongly recommend getting a reflash. A bigger exhuast should help too. Not to mention X's new intake system and MAF for camm'ed motors.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
every possible way to get real power is my goal. and it doesn't seem like we'll be getting a kpro like solution anytime soon if at all. plus, these are the stage ones from skunk2 which aren't too aggressive but more so than the tsx and rsx type r's. according to hondata and some of the other experts, a stage one type cam would be ok for the si's ecu. it'll just compensate for the extra air flow. however, with kpro(able to tune cam angles, ignition timing, and a/f, etc.) we'd be able to see the full potential of these aftermarket cams. so, you'll get power, but not the full potential.

SpeedDemon said:
whats the point of getting cams, if you cant get them tuned?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the guy dynoing my car did say that from looking at the graph, the car is still making power past the stock redline. so, possibly, w/ the reflash, i think the car would peak around 220ish. i didn't do a baseline run w/o the cams, but i know keegan made like a good ~15whp with these and typical intake,rh, exh si's on dynojets make around 200ish, so im thinking 17ish to the wheel gain isn't too bad. also, who knows how well these cams would do if we had a kpro solution, it seems like the cams wanna make more at those higher rpms. lastly, the a/f ratio looks decent considering i dont have the reflash.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
There aren't any risk involved with running these cams untuned ect no pre mature wear or it causing something to blow or stop working i am new to cams i am just curious ?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, to answer ur question honestly, there will always be some slight risk if the car is modded, even w/ an intake, exhaust, etc, there will be some slight risk. as for a stage one cam like mine, there is probably more risk because ur utilizing more aggressive cams as compare to stock cams, so w/ these more aggressive cams, u'll put more stress on the stock valvetrain if its not upgraded. hence, this MAY cause more wear but, in my opinion, these cams are a great addtion. They aren't too aggressive to the point where u need upgraded valvetrain and a ems tune unit but they'll provide enough power that the stock ecu or reflash ecu can handle. this was what i was looking for because i didn't want someting too aggressive(like skunk's stage2, ips, hytech) but something that would be aggressive enough (more aggressive than tsx, type r's, any honda replacement cams). so if ur looking for that, these cams would be an excellent choice. I forgot to mention that another member on here, holland, has done the brian crower stage 2's on his si, and i think he was running ok too, so, u can look into those too.

Will06SI said:
There aren't any risk involved with running these cams untuned ect no pre mature wear or it causing something to blow or stop working i am new to cams i am just curious ?

·
Registered
816 Posts
i have a quesiton out of this threads info, but how much do IPS K2 cams go for? I went on their site and I dont see a price.

thanks
cheers!

great info!

·
Banned
2,384 Posts
confusedxpanda said:
i have a quesiton out of this threads info, but how much do IPS K2 cams go for? I went on their site and I dont see a price.

thanks
cheers!

great info!

Last time I looked they were around 1200.00

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Nice. I would like to see what the addition of the hondata would net.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
during my research on k20 cams, the ips k2 are around 1200. this is the same for the other high profile manufacturers like: blueprint, hytech, etc. as for ips, they've come out with better cams since the k2's came out. on a side note, there was a thread on k20a.org showing how the skunk2 stage ones performed on par with the ips k2's. this was one of the reasons why i chose to go for the stage ones. oh, about ur question, i read somewhere that u can actually run the cams without valvetrain upgrade but im not too sure about that being these k2s are quite aggressive.

confusedxpanda said:
for IPS do you have to have the TI retainers and springs? sorry for the hyjack:eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i guess it depends largely on what ur willing to spend. from what i've heard, the really high quality cams would be those ips ones, hytech's got some good ones too, and blueprint. but i guess if u bring it down a notch, u'd be looking at cams from skunk2 and brian crower. i personally would not spend over a grand on cams b/c we dont have any tune unit to utilize their full potential. i really like the skunk2's because they're affordable and they do the job fine. i mean the skunk's cost about half as much or even less if u find em used and they'll perform about the same as the higher end stuff. this is due to the fact that we cant utilize the cam anlges of the aftermarket cams( no kpro for now). with a kpro, the high end cams may potentially give more power but thats not a possibility for us at the moment. as far as reliability, i think any aftermarket cam for the k20 are reputable companies that stand for their products. there was some rumor or hearsay that the skunks were messing up the timing chain tensioner but that was an isolated case that doesn't seem to be true. there were tons of people running the skunk cams with no problems at all so it must have been something else going wrong for those other peeps.

confusedxpanda said:
thanks for the quick reply, what do you think will perform better? be more reliable? BC stg2? ips k2?

1 - 20 of 215 Posts