8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get my oil change done, Allen Honda (college station). So, I tell them about the 2nd and 3rd gear issues.

The service manager told me that they have been receiving numerous complaints about the 2nd and 3rd gears. Told me to drop my car off when I have time. He added that there weren't any complete TSBs out, but they are waiting for it.

I also mentioned how its not possible to duplicate the grinds. He does want to take my car out for spin though (gave me his card), although I know that he wont be able to find faults.

Anyways, things look good for us, at a dealership that wants to cooperate.

Now, we got to just wait for Honda to launch a TSB for 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know about 2nd, but I had the 3rd gear issue. Took it into my dealer (Ralph Schomp, Denver), and without mentioning anything about TSBs or alternative fluids, told him I was having problems.

Tech took it for a drive and of course couldn't get it to do anything, so I told them to keep it overnight and try it in the morning. Thankfully, it happened to the tech the next morning, so they replaced the MTF with the "new" Honda formula. Felt pretty good, but after 1000 miles or so, started happening again.

Took it back to them, and in the service writer's own words "We called Honda engineers in California, and we replaced the MTF with GM Synchromesh".

5000 miles later, still feels like butter. :) And never had to bring up TSBs, owner's complaints, or nothing.

Moral of the story: it all depends on the dealership. I take the car there for everything, and even the wife's Armada.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
splatterson said:
I don't know about 2nd, but I had the 3rd gear issue. Took it into my dealer (Ralph Schomp, Denver), and without mentioning anything about TSBs or alternative fluids, told him I was having problems.

Tech took it for a drive and of course couldn't get it to do anything, so I told them to keep it overnight and try it in the morning. Thankfully, it happened to the tech the next morning, so they replaced the MTF with the "new" Honda formula. Felt pretty good, but after 1000 miles or so, started happening again.

Took it back to them, and in the service writer's own words "We called Honda engineers in California, and we replaced the MTF with GM Synchromesh".

5000 miles later, still feels like butter. :) And never had to bring up TSBs, owner's complaints, or nothing.

Moral of the story: it all depends on the dealership. I take the car there for everything, and even the wife's Armada.

GM synchromesh....did they do it under warranty ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
nayilsi said:
GM synchromesh....did they do it under warranty ?
This started around 5000 miles, and the Syncromesh went in at 8500 miles, so yes, it was all done under warranty.

Now I just have to remind them when it is time to change the MTF to use Synchromesh again.:laughing:

·
Registered
563 Posts
They better come out with a recall soon. I swear popping out of third is a huge safety risk and someone could get seriously hurt or killed in a wreck. Crazy thing is, that may be what it takes to get their attention.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
splatterson said:
Good point. Sometimes it can boil down to a service adviser at a dealership. There are some dealerships more cooperative than others and there are service people more willing to help than others. I have found that being courteous, polite and explaining things in a soft tone goes far with people. A little gift now and then doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
881 Posts
As I reported a few weeks ago:

I took my car in for the same issue, and they found a TSB and changed the tranny fluid.

The problem is gone for me now, and the tranny feels like it did when the car was brand new.

Hope this helps,

-Freq

nayilsi said:
I went to get my oil change done, Allen Honda (college station). So, I tell them about the 2nd and 3rd gear issues.

The service manager told me that they have been receiving numerous complaints about the 2nd and 3rd gears. Told me to drop my car off when I have time. He added that there weren't any complete TSBs out, but they are waiting for it.

I also mentioned how its not possible to duplicate the grinds. He does want to take my car out for spin though (gave me his card), although I know that he wont be able to find faults.

Anyways, things look good for us, at a dealership that wants to cooperate.

Now, we got to just wait for Honda to launch a TSB for 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Yeah and i just got back from the dealer for my ABS wheel sensor luckily it turned out fine for me so im happy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i had the same third gear pop out issue and i basically mentioned it to the tech and without any hesitation they took the car and within 3 days they disassembled the entire tranny and replaced the entire third gear...that did the job...they also said that changing to mtf might be a short term solution for a long term problem...just a heads up...by the way this was in Gwinnett place honda,Ga they're awesome:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts