8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
filing a small portion of your caliper is nothing to worry about, the caliper has pistons on the inside, and the outside is just made outta steel. Only thing would be that you can forget about warrenty covering your calipers. Not that big of a deal.
Spacers are stupid on a daily driver.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
filing a small portion of your caliper is nothing to worry about, the caliper has pistons on the inside, and the outside is just made outta steel. Only thing would be that you can forget about warrenty covering your calipers. Not that big of a deal.
Spacers are stupid on a daily driver.
How would i paint them so the paint wont be noticable?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
only thing that would be a 100% not noticeable is getting it filled in with some sort of metal filler is my guess

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have an 06 EX coupe and I put the Si rims on mine. After rolling on spacers for a while, my lugnuts started falling off b/c they couldn't screw in enough to get enough of a grip.

I took the spacers off and tried the wheels without the spacers. You have a VERY VERY minimal clearance (1-2 mm), but I rolled like that for 4k miles with no issues.

I'm beginning to think you don't really need spacers or to file your calipers down for the Si wheels.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Yea there is just enough space to clear the breaks. Imagine if you curbed your car though.. Not only your wheels will be bent but I bet it would catch the caliper. Perhaps if you get the 3mm spacer, retorque the lugs to 90lbs every now and then just to make sure.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yea there is just enough space to clear the breaks. Imagine if you curbed your car though.. Not only your wheels will be bent but I bet it would catch the caliper. Perhaps if you get the 3mm spacer, retorque the lugs to 90lbs every now and then just to make sure.
See, that was the problem, tho: since the lugs couldn't catch enough to torque and since they were doing their best to hold onto the bolt and the wheel, they got stripped.

I don't go near curbs, but I'd rather stay away from the spacers, they're bad to roll on.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
See, that was the problem, tho: since the lugs couldn't catch enough to torque and since they were doing their best to hold onto the bolt and the wheel, they got stripped.

I don't go near curbs, but I'd rather stay away from the spacers, they're bad to roll on.
Ahh I see what you mean now. Never knew they had to catch that much thread that 3mm mattered a lot. Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your stripped treads :(

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Ahh I see what you mean now. Never knew they had to catch that much thread that 3mm mattered a lot. Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your stripped treads :(
No biggie. I just got rid of the spacers and $20 for new lugs. It's all fixed now!

But, yeah, it was a massive ordeal when I took my car in for the 30k service and the dealer wouldn't let me leave 'cause the lugs wouldn't torque! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... i saw an ad that somebody was selling their SI rims AND tires (8000 miles) for $300.

But it's just too much trouble to do all these spacers and grinding and what not.

How heavy are SI rims? I think i read they were 23 lbs? How much do LX steelies weigh?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Well... i saw an ad that somebody was selling their SI rims AND tires (8000 miles) for $300.

But it's just too much trouble to do all these spacers and grinding and what not.

How heavy are SI rims? I think i read they were 23 lbs? How much do LX steelies weigh?
You don't need spacers and grinding. That's a good amount for rims and tires assuming the tires still have tread.

And Si rims do weigh that much. Not sure how much steelies weigh, but probably not much considering they're 15", steel and have a higher aspect ratio (more tire vs wheel)... they probably weigh a lot less. I'd guess maybe 18 lbs?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
i've had 3mm spacers for my si... almost 30k miles with no issues. never had to re torque them or anything.
Yeah, you said Si. The Si front assembly is different than the DX/LX/EX. And it's not likely anyone will have problems if their bolts torque, but in general, spacers move the center of gravity outwards and leave less bolt for the lugs to screw onto, reducing the integrity of your front assembly and making your lugs more susceptible to stripping.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah, you said Si. The Si front assembly is different than the DX/LX/EX. And it's not likely anyone will have problems if their bolts torque, but in general, spacers move the center of gravity outwards and leave less bolt for the lugs to screw onto, reducing the integrity of your front assembly and making your lugs more susceptible to stripping.
ah yeah ic.

so pretty much as long as the lugs torque its ok.

i was just kind of browsing the thread and was like uhh wtf.. -_- because i didnt think there was that much of an issue with spacers as small as 3mm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.