8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My name is Jacob Benz, and I have a 2007 Fiji Blue Civic Si Sedan (FA5) with around 80k miles. I purchased this car back in April 2019 from my cousin Dustin. Previously I inherited a 2001 Honda Prelude as my first car and enjoyed it for about a year until picking this up! I had no intentions of buying an FA5 until someone wanted to purchase my Prelude for a great price, I couldn't have said no. At the time, I was going to college full-time (still am) while working full-time, I bought this car on my own as a "graduation gift" to myself and had no intention of modifying it. Well, you guys know how the rabbit hole goes, I ended up discovering what an FD2 Type R was. I was immediately hooked on the looks of the Japanese chassis versus the USDM version. And so... I began my path into making it look like an FD2.

The first thing I did to my car after taking ownership was replacing all of the fluids with OEM Honda products. Now the car was very mechanically sound, but the paint had the notorious oxidation that everyone is very familiar with. I tried my best to repaint some panels myself but to be honest, the results were not the best... I had the face the fact that I just have to wait and fully repaint the car. Because this was the first car that I wanted to modify, I decided to make a Youtube channel with my best friend documenting our builds. This leads us to start our Youtube channel, Seikers.

My best friend is VERY obsessed with detailing cars. He completely is OCD about keeping cars clean and well maintained. As a result, he helped detail my FA5 engine bay and made it look spotless. I was AMAZED at how the engine bay turned out, it looked like it just rolled off the assembly line from Honda!

So for my first modification, I decided to go with Koni Yellow and Ground Control coilovers. The reason being that the car came with Koni Yellows already, and I didn't feel the need to spend extra money on something nicer. Well... turns out this set-up is completely JUNK. I would 10/10 not recommend this setup for at least our cars. Don't get me wrong, it handles alright for what it is, BUT it limits you on wheel choices and tire sizes. The first thing I noticed after the install was during turns, the springs would creak! Also when jacking up the car, the springs unseat themselves from the collars WHICH IS SOMETHING I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. Needless to say, I also made a video on this matter as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a while since I last made an update on my car, but I am back! Over the course of my absence, I have gone through many parts and one that I would like to talk about after my Coilover installation is the wheels I got at the time. I picked up some Rays Gramlight 57CR Gunmetal Blue 18x9.5 +38 5x114.3 and boy was this a huge mistake. I basically went to a vendor and asked for help picking out a wheel set up for my car and they chose this spec for me. Long story short the wheels didn't end up fitting and was allowed to return the wheels and get my money back. The wheels did look good for a second though! Here is a photo when I was test fitting them on my car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a few months without any wheels, I decided to research my fitment for track usage. My goal is to have that flush track fitment with just a little bit of camber but a meaty seat up. Because of the first wheel situation, I wanted to be more careful and conservative when picking out my next wheel set up. What ended up happening was I found some replica Work CR Kiwamis, the ESR SR08 second hand in a black chrome finish 18x8.5 +30 5x114.3 and come with some generic tires but I am liking the look 225/40/18 and this tire set up is the stock Type R set up. These wheels are only temporary just so I can learn more about wheel fitment and work from there! One thing I can say that these wheels are only for looks. They are way heavier than genuine wheels I can tell you that! I do like the way they look on the car with the FA5 body, and I did get that flush fitment I was looking for! A con would be this thing does rub without any camber if you are trying to fill up that wheel gap, and so that's what I plan on doing next.
If you guys want to check out the fitment here's a video

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To add a little bit of camber in the front of the car I decided to pick up some lower BLOX ball joints also known as roll center adjusters. These were pretty annoying to install but really did help out a little with the clearance but not enough. Unfortunately, the KONI Yellows and Ground Control set up do not offer camber plates or really any adjustment besides height and dampening. I was pretty disappointed at the time and started to debate whether I wanted to switch to some BC Coilovers or the Fortune Auto 500's series!
Here's a video on the installation

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So for the rear of my car, I was rubbing REALLY BAD. +30 offset is considered pretty aggressive I'd say for the FA5, and I'm running a pretty 'average' sized tire. To fix this, I got an SPC rear camber kit, and I heard that this was the best option for our cars! After installation, I took the car to my local alignment shop 'AVN Motorsports' and requested -3 camber for the rears, as for the fronts I couldn't get a proper alignment for what I want because the Koni Yellows and GC combo doesn't have any camber adjustability. The SPC rear camber kit really did help and I'd really recommend them! (Didn't have a photo of the SPC camber kit so I just found one off the internet!!)
I also made a video on Youtube of the installation! Feel free to check it out 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts