8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is going to be kinda long, and im not sure if this is the right place, but it does pertain to my 07 SI. here is the deal, my SI is having tranmission issues, the ring gear broke and honda says its not covered. car has 9500 miles on it, give or take. I have never power shifted (my def is staying in the gas while shifting) its always been let off gas, engage clutch, shift, disengage clutch, give it gas. honda says this looks like an abuse issue, but cannot prove to me that the car was abused. the car has never been over revved, and i missed one shift wasy back in october. the trans started making a god-awful racket while doing 20mph in a parking lot saturday night. from my experience if a gear is going to break, its gunna do it when it is stressed, not weeks later. now honda had the car all last week to perform the bump stop TSB, and they ended up having to replace the front struts (i know that has nothing to do with it), i picked the car up friday, and the trans tore up saturday and honda got real quick to yell abuse, makes me wonder. but anyways i have talked to the service advisor, the service manager, the shop foreman, and the tech. nobody can prove to me that it was abused and nobody can prove to me that the ring gear was not defective. I contacted the customer service consultant (or whatever he is called) and he started studdering when i asked for the honda rep's name and number. He said he would get it straightened out. then he calls me back, and starts talking about abuse and he mentioned that i may have over revved the car (which i havent and i dont see how that would pertain to the ring gear), and i told him that he could check the pcm for the code and he would find that it has never been past the rev limiter. then he said that could cause it which dont make sense. then he satted to me that this isnt his area of expertease and he could transfer me to the service manager. i asked again for the reps number and he refuses to give me that number. i plan on contacting an attorney in the morning, and i would like some im input from you guys on the matter at hand. I also asked the customer service guy if this"abuse" therory has anything to do with me being a 23yr old with an SI, and if it would be a different story if my 83yr olg granny came in with the same problem in an ex. he said he couldnt answer that. so whats the next step, whats the best way to fight this. thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
By Phone
Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 999-1009

By Fax
(310) 783-3023

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Honda Automobile Customer Service is more than happy to help with U.S. Honda vehicle concerns, but is unable to address questions with non-U.S. products. For Canadian inquiries, please call Honda Canada Automobile Customer Service toll-free at (888) 946-6329.

off owner link, good luck bro

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
once a car is out of the lots, the maker will never want to touch it again. hope it work out for you bro. i would fight it if i were you. i been there before and learned my mistakes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By Phone
Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 999-1009

By Fax
(310) 783-3023

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Honda Automobile Customer Service is more than happy to help with U.S. Honda vehicle concerns, but is unable to address questions with non-U.S. products. For Canadian inquiries, please call Honda Canada Automobile Customer Service toll-free at (888) 946-6329.

off owner link, good luck bro
thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once a car is out of the lots, the maker will never want to touch it again. hope it work out for you bro. i would fight it if i were you. i been there before and learned my mistakes.
I use to work for a lincoln/mercury dealership. and i know that our ford tech line would say one thing and the customer would get pissed, consult the owner and the ford rep and then they would get there way. we would fix broken axles on mustang GT's and half shafts on cobras, under warranty. so im pretty sure if i say the right things to the rigth person something will get done, but finding that person will be the challenge. i also contact the warranty admisitrato at the ford dealer i use to work for, and she says it sounds like a load of bull.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my issue is that its a ring gear. a solid piece of metal. its either good or not. from my experience, if abuse is the cause they tend to gernade and mess up everything at the time the abuse occurs. not take the abuse then wait to to break. and like i said, all that was hurt was the ring gear, and it only chipped 4 teeth. the mainshaft is fine aswell as all the other parts. and also what bothers me (and im not trying to point fingers) but they had my car all last week, i picked it up friday and it broke saturday, and they were real quick to jump on the "its been abused" bandwagon. im begining to wonder if maybe the tech missed a couple gears or something on his "test drive", especially since when i took it in for the struts, the shop cleared out into the service area and everyone was like "ooh an SI". you get what im saying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh and on a side note, the dealer has an 08 fiji blue mugen SI. its 33k. i saw that and about passed out. and according to the windo sticker its got the same drivetrain as mine. so why so much?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
oh and on a side note, the dealer has an 08 fiji blue mugen SI. its 33k. i saw that and about passed out. and according to the windo sticker its got the same drivetrain as mine. so why so much?
rarity, mugen badges, full aero kit, nicer rims, nicer shift knob, mugen short shifter, mugen exhaust, and mugen spoiler. did i miss something? :biggrin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
next thing. they say the car should be fixed by friday (its gotta get fixed regardless of who pays) should i pick it up, pay the bill and continue to fight for my money back, r should i let the car stay at the dealer until this is settled. they said they wont charge storage while im trying to gather the money, as long as its not longer then a few weeks.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
next thing. they say the car should be fixed by friday (its gotta get fixed regardless of who pays) should i pick it up, pay the bill and continue to fight for my money back, r should i let the car stay at the dealer until this is settled. they said they wont charge storage while im trying to gather the money, as long as its not longer then a few weeks.
wait until it settle then take the car back. make sure everything is cover by warranty then take the car back, so you won't be billed. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Technically they have to prove abuse to refuse warranty work. If you say they cannot prove abuse it is completely rediculous of them to deny warrany coverage on their guess that it was abused.

That is horrible. If a dealership could legally deny warranty coverage on the "assumption" of abuse there would never be another dollar of warranty work done at any dealership for anything. That is why there has to be evidence of abuse. That is the reason for them recording if the car has been over-revved, so they have proof. If they could legally simply say "well you probably over-revved and that is why your engine failed" and get away with it they would never take the time to program the computer to track the revs.

·
Registered
959 Posts
my motor blew a week later at 6800k rpm. i misshifted and over-rev pass 8000k rpm the week before it blew, " but honda claim that the motor blew right at 10,400k rpm". so before calling me ignorant, you really should do your own research before even talking like you know what going on in my case.
HAHAHAHA wow.....just....WOW....

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.