8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Camry Loverz
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So late night I went out with a friend. We left downtown at around 1 and on the way back I ran a yellow light that turned red, you know, you try to beat the red and ****. We'll stupid me there were three cop cars waiting at that intersection and one followed me and pulled me over. He asked me why I think I was pulled over and I tell him cuz I passed a yellow and hes like NO YOU RAN A RED! Lol I was like sure, in my mind.

So I give him all my info and **** and he goes to his car and when he comes back hes like, how old are you? I tell him 17. If you're 17 in FL you can't drive from 1am to 6am unless its to school or work or if you are with someone over 21. So basically I'm screwed and he writes me another ticket for that which is bullshit it was 1:30 and I was in downtown I was heading home anyway.

So these are my number two and three tickets. I'm gonna fight them because it was really yellow when I went past the light and the 1:30 thing is just not fair, its like insult to injury D:. So idk, I'm just really upset about it and I'm hoping the cop wont even show up at the court date so I can get the tickets dropped.

If he does show, how do I prove that I'm not guilty? What can I do to have a chance to win if he even shows up?

And yes you guys can flame me and tell me I'm stupid and 17 I wont mind. But please I do need real advice on what I should do. I live on my own and I'm in college so my parents wont even find out and ****, man i'm so immature ugh D: anyway IDK i'm just totally upset cuz now its something else to worry about and I don't even go out much and the one day that I do I get 2 tickets.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The only way your gonna win is if you go to court and the oinker doesn't show up.

Now, you have to realize, they always show up. They get paid to show up and they have a set day that they are available to be scheduled to go to court.

If you fight it, when you get your date, quickly check to see what day that falls on. If it falls on a Wednesday, that means mr oinker's "free" days are on Wed. Have a very good excuse why you cannot attend on any Wednesdays.

Aside from that you can get a date and keep extending it for as long as they let you. Basically hoping either the cop changes departments, goes on vacation or something.

As I said, if the cop shows up, your screwed. The judge will believe everything the cop says. That's a fact.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I thought it was more like a 50/50 chance of them showing up.. But he's right. If cop shows, you're screwed

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
seems like your at fault. when driving your supposed to slow down for a yellow, not speed up. so techinically you were wrong and teh court will see it that way.
if the law is that you cant be driving between 1-6 am....well then you broke that one also. its not really any one fault but your own. the only way you could have fought this is if the cop pulled you over at like 12:50 and kept you until after 1, then wrote you a ticket....but that doesnt seem to be the case.

·
Registered
563 Posts
^Not necessarily. I get caught in between all the time and when that happens it becomes a judgement call. What makes it even worse is that every intersection has different yellow light timing.

I would appeal to the judges good nature (if any) and say that you felt it was safer to go through the yellow and risk a red than slamming on your breaks and landing up smack dab in the middle of the intersection

I actually got pulled over once for being in between explained the above to the officer and he let me off with a warning.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Its almost garunteed the cop will show. In FLORIDA, if a cop dosnt show to court, is like you not showing to court. a benchwarrant is issued to that officer.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
AbsoluteGG said:
So late night I went out with a friend. We left downtown at around 1 and on the way back I ran a yellow light that turned red, you know, you try to beat the red and ****. We'll stupid me there were three cop cars waiting at that intersection and one followed me and pulled me over. He asked me why I think I was pulled over and I tell him cuz I passed a yellow and hes like NO YOU RAN A RED! Lol I was like sure, in my mind.

So I give him all my info and **** and he goes to his car and when he comes back hes like, how old are you? I tell him 17. If you're 17 in FL you can't drive from 1am to 6am unless its to school or work or if you are with someone over 21. So basically I'm screwed and he writes me another ticket for that which is bullshit it was 1:30 and I was in downtown I was heading home anyway.

So these are my number two and three tickets. I'm gonna fight them because it was really yellow when I went past the light and the 1:30 thing is just not fair, its like insult to injury D:. So idk, I'm just really upset about it and I'm hoping the cop wont even show up at the court date so I can get the tickets dropped.

If he does show, how do I prove that I'm not guilty? What can I do to have a chance to win if he even shows up?

And yes you guys can flame me and tell me I'm stupid and 17 I wont mind. But please I do need real advice on what I should do. I live on my own and I'm in college so my parents wont even find out and ****, man i'm so immature ugh D: anyway IDK i'm just totally upset cuz now its something else to worry about and I don't even go out much and the one day that I do I get 2 tickets.

ok a couple of things:

1. you can fight the ticket, but if the cop shows up (which he most likely will), you've lost. if the cop doesn't show up, it will look bad on his part and shows the judge that it could have been a bullshit/non-valid ticket and the judge will throw out the ticket.

2. it's ur word against the cop, so get a lawyer if you want to win, but u'll spend some money going down this option.

3. take the course florida offers. takes the ticket off ur record and even discounts the ticket itself. use wisely though, you only get 5 in ur lifetime.

4. lol ur 17 and in college, but you can't go out whenever you like? and how are you in college already? u skip a grade?

·
Registered
48 Posts
you can fight it but if the cop does show up your screwed. Just say that your were at your friends house working on a school project or something and it took you longer than expected

·
Registered
410 Posts
Go to court and most courts have a prosecuter, he is the guy that talks to everybody before you go to Judge, most of the time he offers you a better deal like change tickets to seat belt which is no points, or some other ticket with no points, etc... they only want your money and do not want people to fight tickets; most lawyers do the same, they charge you a few hundred dollars and still talk to the prosecuter, they do not fight tickets anymore.

Now if you have someone with you while you get a ticket is 2 persons against cop's word and there is a good chance you can win the red light one if your friend goes to court with you. Just say when you were about to cross intersection light changed to yellow, it was too late for you to stop and you never so it red.

Good luck.

·
Camry Loverz
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea i'm 17 and in college, it blows sometimes D: I just have a late bday I turn 18 in 5 weeks. Isn't that a *****, there must be some way to get out of the curfew, I'm in college so that MIGHT give me a chance to get the ticket dropped.

I also can't take the class, I already took it in the last 12 months, I got a speeding ticket over the summer. The cop asked me where I was coming from when he pulled me over and I said Ybor so I can't say I was coming home from a friends house. They only allowed curfew if its school or work.

I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have -266 in my bank account and I only work 4.5 hours each week at Hollister. I barely eat cuz I don't have enough money. I'm just getting really depressed and I feel like college isn't such a good thing for me right now.

Cop was a total ****, when he handed me the receipts for the ticket he was like "YOU'VE BEEN A BAD BOY AND YOU KNOW IT" then he made my friend drive my car home and its stickshift. ******* bastard.

·
Camry Loverz
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JSMexUsa said:
Go to court and most courts have a prosecuter, he is the guy that talks to everybody before you go to Judge, most of the time he offers you a better deal like change tickets to seat belt which is no points, or some other ticket with no points, etc... they only want your money and do not want people to fight tickets; most lawyers do the same, they charge you a few hundred dollars and still talk to the prosecuter, they do not fight tickets anymore.

Now if you have someone with you while you get a ticket is 2 persons against cop's word and there is a good chance you can win the red light one if your friend goes to court with you. Just say when you were about to cross intersection light changed to yellow, it was too late for you to stop and you never so it red.

Good luck.
Interesting, but if that doesn't happen? Like I know I'm going to have the pay the ticket if I lose and I kind of want to take the risk but I also want to be prepared. Do you guys think I should even try fighting it? How much are court fees?

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
JSMexUsa said:

Good luck.
Wont work. 2nd person is accounted for as being biased.

·
Registered
84 Posts
AbsoluteGG said:
Yea i'm 17 and in college, it blows sometimes D: I just have a late bday I turn 18 in 5 weeks. Isn't that a *****, there must be some way to get out of the curfew, I'm in college so that MIGHT give me a chance to get the ticket dropped.

I also can't take the class, I already took it in the last 12 months, I got a speeding ticket over the summer. The cop asked me where I was coming from when he pulled me over and I said Ybor so I can't say I was coming home from a friends house. They only allowed curfew if its school or work.

I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have -266 in my bank account and I only work 4.5 hours each week at Hollister. I barely eat cuz I don't have enough money. I'm just getting really depressed and I feel like college isn't such a good thing for me right now.

Cop was a total ****, when he handed me the receipts for the ticket he was like "YOU'VE BEEN A BAD BOY AND YOU KNOW IT" then he made my friend drive my car home and its stickshift. ******* bastard.
Honestly, in your situation, you shouldn't even own a car. You have a negative bank account balance, you barely eat, yet you drive a car? You gotta get your priorities straight bud.

The fact that you got a speeding ticket not too long ago also affirms my statement above. I'm not saying this to put you down or anything, it's just a logical view on your situation. I didn't even own a car until I was 25, as I know I probably would have been in a miserable financial situation like yourself.

As for the situation at hand, as everybody stated, if the cop shows up, it's done. I would personally still take it to court and have the judge go easy on you and at least not get any points on your record and reduce the fee. Just be 100% honest and as nice as you can be. If you rub the judge the right way, he may go easier on you.

Good luck otherwise. 17 year olds really shouldn't own a car and go to college, you're not really old enough to handle all of that yet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's pretty funny that everyone here who wrote that if the cop shows up, you're screwed... because it's true. This is a country where people in authority can make up bullshit and get away with it. There is no one to police the police.

If you really ran a red, i'd say just get fine and pay for it. But lets say it suddenly turned yellow and if you braked you wouldn't have stopped in time... you should tell that to the judge.

Another thing... how does the cop make your friend drive your car... wtf is that??? He obviously doesn't know his role as a cop, and is acting on a power trip.. I would've ignored him and drove my car away.

·
Banned
909 Posts
AbsoluteGG said:
no dude, u dont deserve to get flamed. the pig was being a d!ck! and yes fight the ticket, keep postponding your court date, like 3 times, that way the cop wont show up. if i was u, i wouldnt have stopped....:dancing: :vtec:

·
Banned
909 Posts
AbsoluteGG said:

all cops are like that, except for the female cops.

ps: wen u go to court tell the judge that ur friend was drunk from a party, and he needed a ride home, and thats why u were driving soo late, make sure u bring your friend too, so he can lie, thats the best way to get out of it!!!good luck man:police:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts