8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Gary Fisher Wahoo Disk mountian bike and am looking at getting a hitch to put a bike rack on. i think i found the hitch i want, but im just looking at racks. anyone got one they prefer? ill prob need a 3 bike rack for my friends also.

and for anyone with a hitch and the HFP lip...how does it fit? i figured id have to make some spacers for it to sit down low enough.

any insight would be great. thanks.

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i rode it about 2 miles in trails yesterday, got on it today and my butt was killing me haha, but i rode about 5-6 miles today, im beat. LOVE the bike and glad i bought it. i think ill live with the seat for a while, i just spent $700 on the bike lol, dont wanna add more.

i havnt tried a full suspension bike on the trails yet, but im sure its nice, especially if its got the lockout. my friend has one made by mongoose from academy so its not the best one of course, but its ok. i would like to try a fisher or something with full suspension though to see the difference, my friend is getting a wahoo when the 2011 models come out, they are sold out of his size this year.

we tried out the specialized also, they were ok, but the fishers were more comfy to me, more so than the trek's too.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I don't like treks at all. the spec fit me nicely... soft tail vs. hard tail... a lockout on the soft tail is def nice... but soft tails have SH*T traction on soft surfaces, you don't get enough force from your weight, the rear just bounces out of the soft dirt/gravel... but they're very good for bumpy/rough terrain, takes some getting used to... i prefer a hard tail, i'll just ride my pegs parallel to the ground standing up over rough stuff so i don't rock my coccyx...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
yah... shimano SPD are what i have, i forget the model, but its similar to this

http://www.bikegear.be/winkel/images/shimanoXTpedalen770.jpg

i have kind of a mountain/hybrid style peg though, one side is like a normal (albeit small) flat pedal, the other has the clip in section

the shoes have a "socket" in the sole that a detachable clip snaps into/out of, and that clip is what attaches into the pedal...

they take some getting used to, if you're afraid of getting hurt while mtn biking, don't be mtn biking... my one trip last year saw me sideways slide into a tree, and i thought i broke my leg (deep bone contusion... hurt like a b*tch) lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
hard tails are great if you're trying to race, but i'm more of a soft tail kinda guy. They're much easier to ride on especially on downhill rides.

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe if i break my pedals ill think about upgrading to something like that. im not afraid of getting hurt, but why do something that i know would just mess me up for the first little while if i dont have to?

hill climbs are easier with hard tails :D i mean who has the time to reach down and lock out when they are flying through the woods? if it even has a lockout.

·
Registered
130 Posts
if it's a short climb it's not a big deal, but on longer climbs you'll have more than enough time and all you have to do is flip a switch.

unless you get a bionicon those things have a lockup lever on the handlebars, pretty sweet setup

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am getting a bike rack..or do you mean a roof rack?

i thought about it, but its pretty expensive, and im scared of a few things, like dropping my bike when putting it on the roof, or it messing up or even just covering up my freshly painted roof.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the same problem; not sure what to get. I had a cheap strap on rack on my Taurus but that's because I didn't care about the paint. We were using the woman's car but it got totaled in Florida, so she has a new car as well.

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i figured out what im going to get, the only hitch avaliable is a class 1 hitch. and the guy at etrailor.com showed me a thule rack that would work, and it was cheaper and holds 4 bikes.

i just REALLY need a picture of someone with a hitch on a coupe with or without the HFP lip so i can see if it will fit with the lip on it.

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got my hitch and rack yesterday, ill be installing it sometime soon. its been raining since it came in though, and the flat part of my driveway is taken up. but when i do ill take detailed pics and post them up so noone will have to ask questions about it again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have the HFP lip on the back of my coupe and am thinking about getting a hitch and a bike rack. I've been waiting to hear an update on this; any luck yet? I'd like to see some pics if you could. What hitch (model #) did you go with and where did you get it? How did the install go? Thanks!

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also have the HFP lip on the back of my coupe and am thinking about getting a hitch and a bike rack. I've been waiting to hear an update on this; any luck yet? I'd like to see some pics if you could. What hitch (model #) did you go with and where did you get it? How did the install go? Thanks!
sorry, dont have any more batteries for my wireless mouse and keep forgetting to get some, this is the best pic i can get from my phone.

it was easy to put on, i had to take off the axelback though. but it was no big deal just 2 bolts. plenty of room with the HFP kit, doesnt hit it or anything. i got the drawtite one because it was cheapest, good quality, although the "powdercoat finish" doesnt seem to be the best im happy with it. the only thing showing (unless you are lower or far behind it) is the reciever.

i ordered from etrailer.com, and i wouldnt recommend it, it took 3 weeks to get mine in because they didnt have the rack in stock and didnt say that. its like they ordered it from thule and waited to ship it til they got it in, but the prices were great and free shipping was awesome...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts