8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Si and a 1996 Civic hatch and I’m torn on which car I’d let to set up for autocross this summer. I see pros and cons for both but I’ve never done anything like this before so I’d like some input.

Pros for the Si; way faster, LSD, daily driving my hatch would be much cheaper too with gas and all purpose insurance.

Pros for the EJ9; way lighter (2200 lbs according to Wikipedia), cheaper to mod, I’d be more comfortable going “full race car” with it too, but the D16 is gutless and it has a open diff. I’d be more okay with using cheaper parts too, for my Si I’d want to do a good quality build, but my hatch I’d be fine with cheaping out on stuff like seats, wheels, ect.

So what do you guys think we be the better platform?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are definitely Pros/Cons to both. It really depends on how many mods you currently have, how many you want to have, and how competitive you want to be.

Assuming you're competing in SCCA classes...

FG2 is competitive in HS, which will require very few mods (shocks, swaybar, tires, and maybe lighter wheels.) If you want to take it a little further, you can run STX (intake, exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires, seats, etc.)

EJ9 will be most competitive in FSP or SMF. Unfortunately, both of these classes are going to require a bit more $$ in mods, with a big chunk of the budget going to Hoosiers and power mods.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There are definitely Pros/Cons to both. It really depends on how many mods you currently have, how many you want to have, and how competitive you want to be.
My Si right now is completely stock aside from a short shifter, my hatch has I/H/E, lowering springs (I’m getting coilovers for free soon), wheels, short shifter, a carbon fiber hood, a 280mm flat bottom steering wheel and a C-piller sway bar...

Assuming you're competing in SCCA classes...

FG2 is competitive in HS, which will require very few mods (shocks, swaybar, tires, and maybe lighter wheels.) If you want to take it a little further, you can run STX (intake, exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires, seats, etc.)

EJ9 will be most competitive in FSP or SMF. Unfortunately, both of these classes are going to require a bit more $$ in mods, with a big chunk of the budget going to Hoosiers and power mods.
Honestly not to competitive with classes for autocross, I just want to build something fun and I can put up the best time possible

·
Registered
36 Posts
The VTEC-E smooths the behavior of the engine or the ramp up is progressive, if you want sensations in the VTEC DOHC.
This is not the case for the G4 is no "tire" of the Ej9, if it's a question of engine speed, then there is no need to take it into account.

Dafont Showbox Adam4adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts