8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions:
1. What is "drive-by-wire"?
2. Does LSD offer better performance in driving straight? like a drag race?
3. Would Honda Factory Performance ever come with a supercharger or Turbo?

dats all. thanx

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
here is info about drive by wire broken down for the Acura TSX. - basically teh same idea.

DRIVE-BY-WIRE THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM

An electronic drive-by-wire system helps enhance the driving character of the TSX. With smart electronics connecting the throttle pedal to the throttle butterfly in the intake tract, the engine response can be optimized to suit the driving conditions and to better match the driver's expectations. By eliminating the direct throttle cable connection to the engine, the ratio between pedal movement and throttle butterfly movement can be continuously optimized. This adjustable "gain" between throttle and engine is a significant step forward in drivability.

To establish the current driving conditions, the system monitors pedal position, throttle position, vehicle speed, engine speed, calculated road slope and corner radius and engine vacuum. This information is then used to define the throttle control sensitivity.

From the driver's standpoint (because the drive-by-wire system is combined with other functions such as VSA and Traction Control) this means that the way the TSX responds to throttle pedal movements is tailored to the driving conditions. In stop-and-go driving, the pedal response has low gain and is smooth and progressive for easy driving. A similar low-gain response makes starting out on snowy or icy roads more predictable. In low- to medium-speed driving conditions, the gain increases to improve response and acceleration. In high speed driving, the gain increases further still, so that there's ample response for passing. The system also alters response based on the road slope, providing more throttle gain on uphills, and less on downhills, and also reduces changes in gain on curvy roads to make the car easy to control.

The throttle system works with the available SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission to make shifts faster and smoother than has been possible before. By coordinating the throttle opening with the transmission's shifting functions, engine power can be precisely tailored to the needs of the transmission at every point during the shifting process. That means less shift shock and delay, no matter the driving situation.

The TSX uses a DC motor to control the throttle butterfly position in the intake tract. Large bearings and internal upgrades give the motor greater resistance to vibration.

2- Yes it can. In high horsepower applications, it helps to hook up. Otherwise you could be spinning 1 wheel trying to get power down. With the LSD it helps to spin both wheels and get the power down.

3 - That's something to ask honda. To guess - I'd have to say no. I've talked with a lot of aftermarket companies that deal with honda parts, and some get a lot of negative feedback from honda. I've known some that were forced to change their name because it had the word "honda" in part of their company name. Honda doesn't want to be linked to anything dealing with aftermarket from my understanding. A few aftermarket dealers I've talked to stressed that honda officials talked to them about their turbo/and aftermarket products. Basically saying how they disapproved of their production/existance.

My understanding is that it makes warranty/repair work more of an issue from the company standpoint. I guess a lot of people with highly modified cars were trying to still get service done under warranty. I guess it's honda's job to prove that a part broke because of the aftermarket addons (to revoke warranty repairs). I guess it just makes that part of their business harder, but who knows. Maybe they would release something down the road for a turbo/supercharger.

With the SRT-4 ending production I guess it lowers their chances (for competion sake). {shrugs}

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good post, webby. HFP hasn't every traditionally offered (engine) performance enhancing mods, but with Honda's upcoming sport exhaust for the Si (as has been mentioned) that is in the step in the right direction. The iteration of the K20 that is in the Si isn't tuned well for forced induction applications (at least from the manufacturer's perspective who have to consider reliability and emissions) so I don't ever see Honda offering these type of mods for the K20Z3.

Interestingly enough, as much as Honda has opposed turbo applications in the past, there is quite a bit of speculation that Acura's upcoming RDX sport ute may get a turbo'd K-series. Maybe we will see a factory turbo in the 9th gen Civic Si. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts