8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Greetings from Singapore! I am driving a Civic 1.8 VTI-S (Known as FD1). Its a local Japanese Domestic Model. Weight of the ride is about 1227kg. Planning to lower my ride without changing the stock struts/shock.

Below are some questions and hope you can reply:

1. Is there a big change in comfort? (Especially after longer usage, if possible, do let me know how long you have using it wiht stock shocks.)
2. Any bottoming out issue with stock shocks?
3. Any issues on camber resulting in uneven tyre wear?
4. Is it a must to really have the camber kit? Anyway to overcome it? Eg. Do more rotation of the wheels.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
I've had the s techs on my car for about 18000 miles. You will need the camber arms. I guess if you didn't want to get them you would have to rotate your tires every 5k and also make sure you have the correct amount of air in them. The ride feels almost like stock and has not changed. The struts still feel the same without any change. The only time I bottom out when I was going over a big speed bump to fast but other that that no problems at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the s techs on my car for about 18000 miles. You will need the camber arms. I guess if you didn't want to get them you would have to rotate your tires every 5k and also make sure you have the correct amount of air in them. The ride feels almost like stock and has not changed. The struts still feel the same without any change. The only time I bottom out when I was going over a big speed bump to fast but other that that no problems at all.

Thanks for the reply! The camber arms are too expensive here in Singapore. Its definitely much cheaper to rotate every 5k rather to have the camber arms.

Anyway I would like to thank you for the info as its really informative and good to know!

Hoping to see more user feedback who has not install camber arms.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i had them for 13,000 miles and i liked them but it didnt sit level. so yesterday i put sportlines in. a little rougher of a ride but im loving it and it should be a week till they settle since they are cold wrapped and not heated. now i have s techs sitting around and they are in great shape but like i said the stans is better wit sportlines.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i had them for 10,000 miles, i dont recomend them if you live in a rough road place just like where i live, and i get a lot of noises at the front!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had them for 10,000 miles, i dont recomend them if you live in a rough road place just like where i live, and i get a lot of noises at the front!
Typically, road conditions in Singapore is pretty good. So that shouldn't be a big concern.

Just wondering, why noises from the front only?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had them for 13,000 miles and i liked them but it didnt sit level. so yesterday i put sportlines in. a little rougher of a ride but im loving it and it should be a week till they settle since they are cold wrapped and not heated. now i have s techs sitting around and they are in great shape but like i said the stans is better wit sportlines.
I have had feedback on the Sportlines from Singapore user. They are commenting the bottoming out is pretty bad when match with our ride. Thats the reason why i am not looking at the Sportlines. Another reason is that the Sportlines in Singapore is double the price of Tein S Tech.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have had my S techs on for about 17,000 miles i have no camber kit. I didnt get any additional wear on my tire tread. Im happy with the S techs they give the SI the perfect drop, the camber kit is recommended but not necessary IMO good luck with your choice.:thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had my S techs on for about 17,000 miles i have no camber kit. I didnt get any additional wear on my tire tread. Im happy with the S techs they give the SI the perfect drop, the camber kit is recommended but not necessary IMO good luck with your choice.:thumb:
Thats good to know! One issue that is bothering me is that I know that the Si struts in US are stiffer and stronger compared to the ones used in Singapore models. Therefore I am not sure whether how will that affect the overall performance.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have them and I like them a lot. It puts it at a perfect height, no rub or bottoming out, it closes the wheel gap..I kinda wanted it lower but w/e...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have them and I like them a lot. It puts it at a perfect height, no rub or bottoming out, it closes the wheel gap..I kinda wanted it lower but w/e...
Thank you for the reply bro! Its comforting to know that there are a lot of happy users here.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm on the same boat as this person. Had them about 18k miles. No camber kit and mostly highway driving. I do not race, just wanted a nice drop for a better look. no problems at all with the springs, shocks, and have my tires rotated every 5k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm on the same boat as this person. Had them about 18k miles. No camber kit and mostly highway driving. I do not race, just wanted a nice drop for a better look. no problems at all with the springs, shocks, and have my tires rotated every 5k miles.
Its so good to hear about the positive feedback and I have finally took the plunge yesterday to do the Tein S Techs yesterday. The drop is beautiful. I am now having 1-1.5 finger gap all around and the car looks good without bodykit as well. The drop goes well with my 17in Advan Racing RGII rims.

As all have commented, the drop in comfort is almost negligible. Only thing is that I must take the hump slower. I had to put in camber nuts for my front wheels as the left is having positive camber while the right is having negative camber. So install the nuts to solve this issue to get it -0.5 camber for front. For the rear, the rear camber arm is too ex. Therefore I am living with -2 camber for the rear. I will be doing rotation more often to minimise uneven wear.

I am not a racer, just dropping for looks. My only fear for bottoming out is that when the car is fully loaded esp at the rear. I have fetch my wife for a 2 person ride and there is no diff at all. This weekend I am going to be having 4-5 person in the car and that will be a real test.

Anyway my last and final upgrade in case the struts cannot take it will be the Koni FSD. Anyone has Koni FSD with the Tein S Techs?

I would like to thank all again for the contribution for giving me the confidence to go for this change!

·
Administrator
45,045 Posts
I have not had a single problem with my s-techs. If you don't get a camber kit, at least have your toe fixed. When I went to get an alignment after lowering mine, the rear toe was much further out of whack then the camber.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
typically these progressive rate springs work fine for straight line.

its when you go through switch backs when you want stiffer dampers or rear swaybar
to compensate the floating feel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have not had a single problem with my s-techs. If you don't get a camber kit, at least have your toe fixed. When I went to get an alignment after lowering mine, the rear toe was much further out of whack then the camber.
I already done an alignment to get the toe for both front and back to 0. Added camber nut for the front in order to change the camber angle as one side is negative and the other is positive. So will not balance. I am not doing the rear camber adjustment as its too ex. Rather do more tyre rotation.

Now thinking of the next upgrade which is the struts when the stock shock give up on me. Anyone has experience with the use of the S Tech with Koni FSD?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
typically these progressive rate springs work fine for straight line.

its when you go through switch backs when you want stiffer dampers or rear swaybar
to compensate the floating feel.
I have gotten myself a front strut bar to improve the handling. Now waiting for stock to come in for the rear sway bar which I believe will do more improvement!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The ride isn't bad at all. Slightly bumpier but still comparable to stock. I haven't had any problems with them and the drop is clean IMO. I would recommend them .Here is a pic of the front with them. Hope it helps. No rubbing issues or anything.

This is the front:

did u use a camber kit?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts