8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and have a question about my exhaust...I like the sound of the factory exhaust but i would like to cut the resignator off and weld in a straight pipe..is there anything wrong with doing this? what about CEL, i dont think it will effect the cel since i would only be altering the exhaust behind the o2 sensors...also does the si sedan have a pre-muffler, becuase i would also chop it off...what do you guys think???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could someone please give me some input, becuase i am planning on doing this sunday if it all goes through..i just wanted some input from people that now alot more about this car than i do..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well I am not really sure. I know on the mk5 GLI and GTI, you could do that.

Just try it and find out. Then report back to us.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
do whatever with the exhaust and u wont throw a cel until u mess with the cat...and a cheap defouler will get rid of that :)

I

·
0 Posts
If you cut out the resignator your exhaust will no longer sound stock, I dont think. It would free up air flow and give it more sound.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i remove the stock muffler and put a straight pipe, wich is the complete opposite off what you want, but I can tell you it is a lot louder, but considering I don't have a muffler, I believe that sound wise, the pre-muffler+resonator is 50% and the muffler is the other 50%, so removing everything except the muffler will completely change the exhaust note and make it very loud with some gains in power. Test it and let us know.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
a guy in town took his resonator off. the car sounds pretty much the same. he said that he could not feel a difference so i doubt anything happened. also you wont throw a cel because its after the last o2 sensor. i think it would probably just be a waste of time but i guess you could be different than the rest.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
yeah idk, i say try it and then if it doesnt change anything no harm done...right

if it makes it a little louder ++++ good work
if you gain a little performance++++ good work

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
magicballer2001 said:
yeah idk, i say try it and then if it doesnt change anything no harm done...right

if it makes it a little louder ++++ good work
if you gain a little performance++++ good work
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
164 Posts
removing the resonator will not gain you any unless you remove the upstream restrictions - cat. it willbe tad louder but not 50% maybe about 25% guessing

·
Registered
109 Posts
the si have two resonators, the second one is more like a freeflow exhaust muffler(similar to a magnaflow) in apearance, so defenitively it will get a lot louder, the muffler itself don't do much in our cars, at least not as much than in most cars.

·
Registered
95 Posts
put a high flow cat or the r/t hf cat in. The cat is way more restrictive than the exhaust. You think honda pays engineers to design an exhaust thats restrictive. The cat is a must for emissions so the deal with the cards they are dealt. It's clogged up pre exhaust not cat back. Replace it the difference is noticeable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
chopping it there wont help you much except give you a little more sound.. it wont throw a check engine light for the o2 sensors, but im not sure what other damage it would cost.. i'd say dont do it.. to me it doesnt seem worth the work. just save up for an aftermarket or get the high flow cat

·
Registered
549 Posts
Wanting to do this soon myself... just recently installed a fujita sri aswell.. Someone locally i know has removed his resonator, and believe me there was deffinately a better tone (louder aswell) from his stock exhaust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts