8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem with my just upgraded sound system. First, this is what I have done so far..

1) OEM amp left unplugged.
2) Made RCA pre-outs directly from stock radio using FL & FR channels *
(Soldering and using heatshrink tube)
3) Connected the RCAs to new 4CH amp in the trunk
4) Replaced front speakers including tweeters for new Focal 165v3e comps.
5) All wiring replaced **
6) Stock sub replaced for a RF 8" ***

*I looked for a wiring diagram for my 07 Si Coupe and the one I used (06 Coupe Premium Sound) is WRONG, though it uses the same colors. I had to try every pair, at the end BLUE & ORANGE is FL and RED & GREEN is FR. I used BLUE and RED as (-) (I think, can't remember). At the end I had to change the polarity of a channel because of phase.

**Good quality Stinger wiring

*** I used a pair of Y's (1 female, 2 male) to feed the signal for the Sub.

Now the problems I noticed are strange, first thing I noticed is that when I put the key in (II), and music is playing, a weird sound comes from the tweeters.. like the sound when you get a SMS and the cell phone is near the computer. But if the key is in (I) or the engine is running, that sound is gone.

The other problem is the F$%$&ng alternator whine, I made everything the best I could, power wire thru door sills and RCA thru center console, fat wire, good shielded RCAS, soldering, etc. even replaced car's ground wire for a 4awg. The only thing I can think of is the GROUND spot. I used the bolt that is below the carpeting that has two clips and plastic, just behind the backseat.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, if you want pics I'll upload them right away.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try one of the more "meaty" spots in your trunk for your ground, be sure to get all the paint off where ever you put it. I work at circuit city and for the most part we try and avoid seat base grounds. They never work out all that great. Try running a common ground to your radio as well, if you havent already. What kind of 4ch is it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't change the ground for the stock radio, but since I replaced the negative terminal I guess I could ground it directly to the battery with a 10awg wire, would this work? or just change the ground spot in the same area? The amp is a soundstream XTA480.4

·
Registered
232 Posts
I meant run a ground wire from your ground on your radio to the ground on the amp, in addition to the grounds that they already have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it sucks now that I put everything back in place. I'll first try without running the wire below the carpeting and if that works, then it means I'll be having a lot of work, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Man I just did what you said and even more and it just doesn't work, first I relocated the ground spot to a place some guys recommended in the DIY, the problem was still there, then I run a common ground for the amp and radio, no change. Next, I even added bigger wire to the battery ground and upgraded the alternator ground wire (as recommended for many in the DIY). I couldn't believe the problem was still there after all that work!, well the last thing I did, was unplugging the RCAs in the amp, and guess what? No more noise, no buzzing when key is in (II) and no alternator whine. So I guess there might be a problem with the RCA cable itself, do you think a ground loop isolator could help? If not, what could? ( BTW I saw two types of ground isolators, one goes before the power wire in the radio and the other one goes between the RCAs and amp =S )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts