8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The AC system on the 8th gen civic is fine and works well when properly set up.

The issue is that the refrigerant capacity is fairly low (compared to other vehicles) and the tolerance is fairly strict. In other words, small variances in the refrigerant levels have significant impacts on the HVAC's performance.

The specification for LHD 8th gen civics:
400 to 450 g
0.40 to 0.45 kg
0.9 to 1.0 lbs
14.1 to 15.9 oz

Even the newest 8th gen civic is 10 years old at this point (and most are older than that). Inevitably refrigerant will leak out over time. Once it is out of spec it will no longer perform optimally. You need to take your car and have it professionally evacuated and recharged by weight. Just adding refrigerant will not solve your problem, because too much refrigerant will cause the system to perform sub-optimally just as too little will.

I live in Texas and routinely the ambient temperature is well in excess of 100 deg F. My AC blows cold and has no problem cooling the vehicle.

There is no doubt that having this done properly can be relatively expensive (compared to buying a can of R134a at autozone). And if there are leaks, hunting them down can be an even more expensive endeavor. But this is the only way to get the HVAC system to perform like it did from the factory.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The AC system on the 8th gen civic is fine and works well when properly set up.

The issue is that the refrigerant capacity is fairly low (compared to other vehicles) and the tolerance is fairly strict. In other words, small variances in the refrigerant levels have significant impacts on the HVAC's performance.

The specification for LHD 8th gen civics:
400 to 450 g
0.40 to 0.45 kg
0.9 to 1.0 lbs
14.1 to 15.9 oz

Even the newest 8th gen civic is 10 years old at this point (and most are older than that). Inevitably refrigerant will leak out over time. Once it is out of spec it will no longer perform optimally. You need to take your car and have it professionally evacuated and recharged by weight. Just adding refrigerant will not solve your problem, because too much refrigerant will cause the system to perform sub-optimally just as too little will.

I live in Texas and routinely the ambient temperature is well in excess of 100 deg F. My AC blows cold and has no problem cooling the vehicle.

There is no doubt that having this done properly can be relatively expensive (compared to buying a can of R134a at autozone). And if there are leaks, hunting them down can be an even more expensive endeavor. But this is the only way to get the HVAC system to perform like it did from the factory.
It's tough to find a mechanic that has the brains to charge your AC - that's why owners are forced to do it themselves

·
Registered
250 Posts
I always though the AC kind sucked on my '08... the cra is Black, the windshield is huge, florida weather is mostly 90's in the day time 300 days ofthe year... when you get in the car mid day it's probably 120+ degrees in side.. .Start car AC blows cool and takes quite a while for it to get the cabin cooled down.. At night or when it rains the AC on the same settins will freeze you out of the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's tough to find a mechanic that has the brains to charge your AC - that's why owners are forced to do it themselves
:D That was my thought too, if the previous post is correct. As far as I can tell they're doing nothing by the book at the honda dealership here, they don't use the service manual (I asked) and so there's zero chance they're going to be measuring anything or going by specifications or doing things the technically correct way. But maybe I'm wrong and they turn into NASA engineers for a/c!

BTW here's a tip: use the recirculate button when it's too hot - works wonders when the a/c can no longer perform. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the ac in our cars generally leave a lot to be desired? I've had this car (2011 EX sedan) for a couple years now, but in the peak summer months here in NC, it just doesn't cut it. The air blowing out of the vents is cold, but it just doesn't cool down the cabin satisfactorily. I've replaced the cabin filter, verified system has no leaks (holds pressure just fine from one year to the next), and refrigerant capacity is maxxed out to the top of the recommended range.
The only thing I can think of is maybe some air got in the system at some point in the past and whoever worked on it didn't completely evacuate the system thoroughly, but I don't have a reclaim tank and very much prefer not to just dump the refrigerant to the atmosphere, pull a vacuum, then refill the entire system all based on a desperation bid that has only maybe a 50/50 chance of any significant improvement. Nor do I have any desire to pay a shop to do it.

Anyone?
Nope it definitely sucks it has the bare minimum of BTUs to cool a car if you're recycling the air and everything's working perfectly it'll barely barely be comfortable on a hot day

21 - 26 of 26 Posts