8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what's up? I'm finally looking to start to piece together & build my custom turbo setup for my 08' Si. I have a few extremely knowledgeable friends that are going to help me. I've been looking around for some kind of engine management software/reflash/tuning etc .. can't really seem to find anything.. Question is, does anyone know if Hondata will tune an ecu for specific parts? Any things I should be aware of?

For custom turbo guys - how do you create a tune? What kind of ecu do you have? Widebands? gauges? Just want to know where to look.

I've also heard the Acura RDX injectors will work. Is this true? If it is, I can get a ballin' discount on that since I work for Inskip.

Radiator - Should this be upgraded since there will be a FMIC going in front of it? Where should I look?

Basically here's what I want to do:
-Mitsubishi EVO MR turbocharger - internal wastegate.
-Buddy of mine is going to make custom manifold, hes done tons of them.
-All custom intercooler piping/flex pipe - including turbo-back exhaust that will mount up to my stock exhaust so if i wanted to swap exhaust systems, I would have no problems.
-Thinking about going with an ebay intercooler.
-RDX injectors?
-Walbro 255 fuel pump? Not sure if thats the exact one but ..

The only thing that is holding me back is engine management, I just don't know what is available, or how tuning would come into play.

I expect everyone that reads this to input some constructive criticism, advice, links, tips, phone numbers, names .. basically anything to get my foot in the door and start this project.

Oh and this is my DD. :)

·
Registered
6,542 Posts

first, no tuning software available for our cars (unless you have an deep inside track to AEM)

second, an exhaust that mounts "on top" of your stock exhaust :pat: WTH??? explain that....

third, RDX injectors are 410cc. Stock EVO's injectors are 550cc. Why do you think that 410cc injectors will be enough to support a turbo that is used to AT LEAST 550cc injectors? :pat:

The one thing you got right is the fuel pump:thumb:

honestly, if i were you, I'd do much, much, much more research.

You never stated what your goals were (power, handling, performance).

Is this your DD?

Mine's 270whp, turbo, S2 70mm exhaust, and it's a DD if I want it to be. and I just ordered my new 440cc injectors.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

first, no tuning software available for our cars (unless you have an deep inside track to AEM)

second, an exhaust that mounts "on top" of your stock exhaust :pat: WTH??? explain that....

third, RDX injectors are 410cc. Stock EVO's injectors are 550cc. Why do you think that 410cc injectors will be enough to support a turbo that is used to AT LEAST 550cc injectors? :pat:

The one thing you got right is the fuel pump:thumb:

honestly, if i were you, I'd do much, much, much more research.

You never stated what your goals were (power, handling, performance).

Is this your DD?

Mine's 270whp, turbo, S2 70mm exhaust, and it's a DD if I want it to be. and I just ordered my new 440cc injectors.
No need to be a douchebag, I'm learning. The turbo I got was a good deal, and will only be running 8psi.

The exhaust that will be made from the turbo back will END where the stock exhaust begins so that I can bolt on a full catback. Say ... a skunk2 or whatever. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

Lastly, I want at least 300 reliable, daily driver horsepower.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
^^ lol hes not being a douche bag just you need to research .... like a lot

your exhaust thing still doesnt make sense to me.. "a turbo back will end where the stock exhaust begins" ??? uhh What?

best thing for you dude is just get a greddy it will come with everything you need and you dont have to worry about all the **** you dont know anything about just get bigger injectors and fuel return kit and a good tune you can get 300+ whp 250tq dd out of 8psi couple people on here have that.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
No need to be a douchebag, I'm learning. The turbo I got was a good deal, and will only be running 8psi.

The exhaust that will be made from the turbo back will END where the stock exhaust begins so that I can bolt on a full catback. Say ... a skunk2 or whatever. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

You need to research more is the point. It takes 3 seconds to do it. :readtherules:

Here's a start for you...

Forced Induction And Nitrous - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/forced-induction-nitrous/20027-what-can-k-series-handle.html

You asked about tuning right?
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/forc...echnical-information-tuning-capabilities.html

WHat you need to know
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/forced-induction-nitrous/28255-boosting-fg-faq.html

Greddy Kit info:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/forced-induction-nitrous/86273-greddy-turbo-kit-faq.html

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/forc...greddy-problems-solved-before-they-begin.html

Took me less than a min to post you all of these links. Now would a "douche" do that? Welcome to the 8th, but watch what you say and how you say it :readtherules:

·
Registered
248 Posts
i would not suggest going with the AEM F/IC because not many people know how to tune it properly. Just be sure to heat wrap everything when you have that turbo in there, i melted some of my ECU harness wires and my turbo project came to an end. ($3000 fix)

Ive heard good things from the Emanage ultimate, more people seem to know how to tune it. There is no stand alone engine management system, at this point hondata cannot help you much there.

And at 8 lbs of boost, i dont know how wonderful that MR turbo is going to be.

But yeah just a little more research and give it some time.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Even though you need to search ALOT, ill try and get you on the right track:

RDX Injectors? Get em, they will be good for moderate power levels.

Buy your self an E-Manage Ultimate.

Find a welder and weld the internal wastegate flapper shut. Dont use the internal wastegate. Buy AJP's manifold and run an external wastegate thats atleast 38mm.

Get yourself a decent BOV ( HKS )

Upgrade the fuel pump to the walbro 255

Dont worry about the radiator.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

Doesn't matter how much psi you're running. It's all about the CFM's.. The stock Evo turbo (20g????) is pushing like 2X psi.

Still don't understand your exhaust thing

I don't think you will have 300 hp reliably without lowering the compression. I maybe wrong since I have never messed with a turbo on my SI, but the SI's compression is a bit high to achieve that 8k redline. Doing so, you may have a lower redline but then again i can also be entirely wrong. IDK if AJP had the same compression or not seeing as I have never done research on a turbo for this car bc its the biggest PITA ever. No available tuning system and not to mention other things. Then again I'm not sure how far ppl have gotten with the Emanage or the AEM's.

I am not trying to be a d-bag, but go buy a used Greddy turbo kit from a member here. I don't think you're ready for the amt of work it may take. It's a lot and I don't you fully understand everything about it..

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
Guys, I don't even know why you're worrying so much about giving him info, he's not going to do it.

If it was true what he's saying about his friend building all this custom stuff, then that means they would have some knowledge of what it takes to turbo a car, therefore, there's no need to come and post a thread like this.

He's probably just getting a good laugh out of this, or, which would be hilarious, his friends don't know **** of what they are doing either. Just make sure if it's the latter one, you take a video when you try to start your car with this "custom turbo" you're planning on building :rotfl:

Just to add on to this, there's is a reason why only a handful of people here have a custom turbo setup if you want to call it that, the one coming to mind is 07CivicMD, but he was backed up by Swift Racing and all their previous experience. There are great minds in this site, and I'm sure at some point they thought about doing a custom turbo, but like I said, there is a reason why they haven't. Like the previous poster said, go get a used Greddy Kit which will be more reliable and will allow you to achieve 300hp with a good tune, but even with the Greddy Kit, you're gonna run into problems, now imagine a "custom" turbo.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
^^^good advice. Can the same about the wastegate be done with the Greddy Turbo's I wonder...
Absolutley. I would NEVER run an internal wastegate. thats just me though. It also helps that im a welder. lmao. But you would either need to modify your manifold, or get a new one made / premade with the external

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Doesn't matter how much psi you're running. It's all about the CFM's.. The stock Evo turbo (20g????) is pushing like 2X psi.

Still don't understand your exhaust thing

I don't think you will have 300 hp reliably without lowering the compression. I maybe wrong since I have never messed with a turbo on my SI, but the SI's compression is a bit high to achieve that 8k redline. Doing so, you may have a lower redline but then again i can also be entirely wrong. IDK if AJP had the same compression or not seeing as I have never done research on a turbo for this car bc its the biggest PITA ever. No available tuning system and not to mention other things. Then again I'm not sure how far ppl have gotten with the Emanage or the AEM's.

I am not trying to be a d-bag, but go buy a used Greddy turbo kit from a member here. I don't think you're ready for the amt of work it may take. It's a lot and I don't you fully understand everything about it..

No tuning? lmao, what do you call AEM and Emanage? AJP has over 900 WHP with just an AEM FI/C and Hondata Reflash.

The compressions fine, and higher compressions actually better IMHO for turbo setups. The only reson why lower compressions recomended for turbo apps is because it leaves less room for error when your tuning the vehicle, and your able to run a larger turbo at a much larger PSI. These k20's are reliable all day long pushing 450 and under. My buddy has an AJP setup pushing 411 with just the reflash for over 2 years with no issues.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
No tuning? lmao, what do you call AEM and Emanage? AJP has over 900 WHP with just an AEM FI/C and Hondata Reflash.

The compressions fine, and higher compressions actually better IMHO for turbo setups. The only reson why lower compressions recomended for turbo apps is because it leaves less room for error when your tuning the vehicle, and your able to run a larger turbo at a much larger PSI. These k20's are reliable all day long pushing 450 and under. My buddy has an AJP setup pushing 411 with just the reflash for over 2 years with no issues.
Um you are definitely misunderstanding me. How about you go back and read what I put. I said I'm not exactly sure. I could be wrong. But last time I checked the tuning interfered with a shitload of things on the SI or whatnot. I don't realy remember exactly what was up with it..

Higher compression means you have to have a god damned perfect ass tune. Don't you mean lower compression is recommended bc it leaves MORE room for error when tuning your vehicle. Plus when tuning, your engine may blow to **** bc the compression may be too high and since it obviously isn't tuned, **** may be wayyy off. I have seen too many people blow their engines on a dyno tune on the first run bc they're running too high of boost with too high of compression. This guys a newb, so he shouldn't be aiming for the stars just yet.. Unless you can afford to buy a new k20, I personally wouldn't be running high boost (400+whp) without lowering the compression first..

Then again, you may be the owner of a pro dyno shop so please don't take me as arguing with you. I'm just throwing my input in here and you can very well know way moer about this than me bc I haven't had much exp with FI in SI's..

·
Registered
248 Posts

Um you are definitely misunderstanding me. How about you go back and read what I put. I said I'm not exactly sure. I could be wrong. But last time I checked the tuning interfered with a shitload of things on the SI or whatnot. I don't realy remember exactly what was up with it..

Higher compression means you have to have a god damned perfect ass tune. Don't you mean lower compression is recommended bc it leaves MORE room for error when tuning your vehicle. Plus when tuning, your engine may blow to **** bc the compression may be too high and since it obviously isn't tuned, **** may be wayyy off. I have seen too many people blow their engines on a dyno tune on the first run bc they're running too high of boost with too high of compression. This guys a newb, so he shouldn't be aiming for the stars just yet.. Unless you can afford to buy a new k20, I personally wouldn't be running high boost (400+whp) without lowering the compression first..

Then again, you may be the owner of a pro dyno shop so please don't take me as arguing with you. I'm just throwing my input in here and you can very well know way moer about this than me bc I haven't had much exp with FI in SI's..
lol...

The tuning issue is not necessarily harder or easier either way you go. The simple solution to that is to find a tuner who knows what they are doing. From what i hear, Soxfan has an excellent tuner, ask him for some information on that.

An engine's compression ratio is a comparison of a cylinder's volume when the piston is at BDC to the cylinder's volume when the piston is at TDC. Theoretically, the higher the compression ratio, the more power an engine can make. Along with increasing the compression ratio, you increase the heat made by the compression stroke as well as the compression and combustion pressures. Your stock engine can only handle so much. Lowering the compression ratio lowers the compression pressures along with the temperature. This means more air can be added to the cylinder (more boost). Since you are not working with such a small space (High CR) you are expanding the area for combustion. Since a high compression ratio leaves a smaller space for expansion, the compression pressures and combustion pressures are extremely high (too high for most motors to hold). This is why people go with lower compression ratio with more boost. Lower compression ratio with more boost is better than high compression with a smaller amount of boost, while trying to acheive the same amount of power. This is because there is more space inside the combustion chamber for cumbustion pressures to expand.

Example:

Two engines are to accomplish the same amount of power. One engine has a 12.0:1 compression ratio and running 15 lbs of boost. The other engine has 9.0:1 compression running 25 lbs of boost. Lets say these engines produce similar power. In the engine with 12.0:1 compression, the pressures are spread out over a smaller surface area, therefore are more concetrated, which means the engine is more likely to 'pop'.

·
Registered
214 Posts

The high compression is not a disadvantage in the k series. Higher compression will always make more power on any setup whether it be forced induction or otherwise. The only disadvantage that would come into play is that it leaves less room for error in the tune, less room for predetonation etc.

In a way, you are correct in saying that the tuning is the problem. The reason I say this is because if you did have a standalone setup like Kpro that could do anything and everything you could ever want and then some, compression would be the least of your worries on the motor. 450+whp daily driven is not an issue whatsoever on these with a good tune on kpro. The compression doesn't even come into question really, at that point, the weakest link will be the trans or the rod bolts warping and eventually breaking. I already fubard my first trans, still saving for PPG Bullhead Straight Cut Gears.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts