8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about getting h/e and then supercharging a little further down the road...hopefully when redshift gets their kit out :popcorn:. i hear you want a 3" exhaust for f/i applications, but i'm looking at getting the vibrant/cat combo header (2.5") to something like a greddy ti-c or evo2 (both 70mm).

would the 2.5" header to a 70mm catback be too restrictive with a supercharger?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
superchargers are less touchy about super huge exhausts as compared to a turbo set up imo. evo2 is 60mm and ends at 70mm btw. about half way through the piping diameter gets larger progressivly towards the end. if lets say you ran a 3 inch exhaust you'd probably gain a few hp and be extremely loud. if its worth the extra 3-5 hp then go for it. me on the other hand.. its not so i'll be keeping my evo2.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Do not buy a 3" exhaust if you are not going turbo. I had my 3" AJP exhaust installed before I got my turbo kit, and it was SO FREAKING LOUD I was afraid to drive it because I would get tickets, and when I came home at night it would wake up all the neighbors even at idle. The GReddy Evo 2 is a good choice IMHO - it's pretty quiet. One of my friends who has an Si has one, and it's just a little louder and deeper than stock.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
F tha noise, im going full mandrel 3" with my christmaka present that creditcard claus brought me this week

im having a big ol muscle car glass pack put on there as well, to help with the raspyness. (I have a glasspack on my 2 1/4" setup now and it sounds like sex)

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
What about adding a resonator (or 2) to a 3"? Or would it defeat the purpose?
Marvie (Sickyute) added a resonator to his AJP 3", and he said it made very little difference, and after a month or two sounded just the same as it always did. That 3" is gonna be louder than you think. Mine was just unbearable even with the silencer inserted into the muffler.

:edit: until I installed the GReddy turbo kit, now the sound level is about the same as GReddy Evo2.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
Marvie (Sickyute) added a resonator to his AJP 3", and he said it made very little difference, and after a month or two sounded just the same as it always did. That 3" is gonna be louder than you think. Mine was just unbearable even with the silencer inserted into the muffler.
It sounded the same as without the resonators after a few months? Why? Did the resonator material burn out? Sorry, I'm not an exhaust OG

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
i had just a straight 2 1/4 pipe to my tananbe when i first got it and it sounded like a really loud 89 crx with a fart can. put on a glasspack and its not much quieter, but it sounds 1000000000000000000000000 times better and not raspy at all.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
do chargers quiet the exhaust like a turbo set up? if not the 3inch is gonna remain pretty loud lol. i was under the impression chargers didnt benefit from monster exhausts as much as turbos. or boost is boost when it comes to huge exhausts?

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
do chargers quiet the exhaust like a turbo set up? if not the 3inch is gonna remain pretty loud lol. i was under the impression chargers didnt benefit from monster exhausts as much as turbos. or boost is boost when it comes to huge exhausts?
no because the exhaust doesnt pass through the supercharger like is passes through the turbo after the manifold. the turbo more or less reduces the noise.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you think there would be any difference between going 2.5 all the way through (all vibrant) and going 2.5 to 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 with vibrant to say an evo2?

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
does anyone have some WOT videos of some different 3inch setups?
Here is a link to a video of my dyno run. Details on the setup are in the thread, but it was when I had the AJP turbo kit with the GT35R turbo installed as well as the AJP 3" exhaust with one resonator. On a cold start, the car was loud. Once warmed up it was still loud, but the base tone seemed to settle a little. In the video, the increased sound level when the car reached around 4,000rpms was from the wastegate opening and venting to atmosphere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts