8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 2009 Honda Civic SI got some work done 2 years ago to paint the fenders, roof and hood but now the upper panel on my drivers side is chalking really badly and my car is out of the warranty period so I am going to try my luck a second time submitting an estimate which I got from a local dealer to Honda I'm hoping the dealership will help me out with this.

Has anyone had any luck submitting an estimate for the chalking after their warranty extension has expired?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey,

I have a 2009 Honda Civic SI got some work done 2 years ago to paint the fenders, roof and hood but now the upper panel on my drivers side is chalking really badly and my car is out of the warranty period so I am going to try my luck a second time submitting an estimate which I got from a local dealer to Honda I'm hoping the dealership will help me out with this.

Has anyone had any luck submitting an estimate for the chalking after their warranty extension has expired?
It's highly unlikely they will cover it outside of warranty extension. you could always call them and open a case, and get partial coverage maybe

·
Registered
1 Posts
My paint sucks already, the clear coat is all faded in places. Got my hood and trunk re-sprayed for 800 bucks last summer. Really wish the previous owner took advantage of the recall though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey,

Good luck the dealership I used to go to told me about paint but did not tell me about the time table of the paint issues I went to them to get it fixed about a month after it expired. And the dealership and Honda still would not cover my car repaint.

I went to a local guy and had the bumper replaced and the whole car sanded down and repainted for less than. $2000. Looks a whole lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Mine is a 2008 Galaxy Grey. The roof started to flake last year and this year I noticed my passenger fender and trunk showing similar signs. Im contemplating either getting it all wrapped or going to a Maaco and getting it done with the same color so their prep work isnt as criticial.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I wonder why some civics are having such horrible paint job?
Mine is from 2006 and It's still pretty good. No peeling at all.
I've always wondered about that whenever newer 8th gens I've seen are all chipped. Mine is also a 2006 (Oct 2005) and looks amazing. I thought it was just neglect. Although I did take care of mine early in its years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 2009 FA5 has terrible chalking on the rear doors and a little on the front. I "took advantage" of the recall and oddly enough Honda would only cover the car down to right where the chalking started. The roof looked just like the doors but the roof was covered. Apparently Honda isn't responsible for 100% of the paint that comes on our cars. :deadhorse:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Honda paint is really terrible. Great cars.

My 07 FG2 in Nighthawk Black Pearl has horrible peeling on the roof now. I did the recall in 2013 and Honda Canada only did the hood.

At least you guys down in southern states don't have to deal with road salt and rust that we do up in Canada :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an updated the thread I received a phone call from a client service rep pretty much saying that my claim was denied because the extended warranty had expired and also the area that is affected isn't part of the recall.

I tried getting a hold of the service manager at my local Honda by email and phone about a month ago (left multiple messages) wanted to get them to give me a hand with my submission to Honda but apparently they are too busy to return emails or phone calls.

Love my car thinking of upgrading very soon but they just lost my business this will be the last Honda I own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried this too without luck on my '08 Fiji Blue Pearl Si. Thought it odd that they repainted the hood and roof with the recall, but not the trunk lid. My trunk lid started peeling and a spot on my door near the handle bubbled up, popped, and started flaking off and expanding. I sent detailed pictures to the service manager but they never responded. I got quotes from various body shops and paid out of pocket to get it fixed. Everything but the rear bumper has now been repainted with lifetime warranties...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried this several times. They string you along for a while to give you the impression of "service" and eventually you don't hear back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update I opened ANOTHER CALL with them had a friend of mine get coverage on their roof even past the extended warranty. They just notified me that they denied it again and they review the cases on a case to case basis. They also told me the areas of my car the upper portion of the quarter panel were not covered at the time even though the bulletin clearly states it is.

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/104802/A14-034

At this point I've pretty much given up with them not sure which other roads I should take maybe I'll find some local body shops and see how much it will cost to repair but even other areas of my vehicle are showing signs of chalking now my other quarter panel and even my trunk pathetic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took my car to the Honda dealer ship and got denied too. I wish they extended the warranty or least do something about the crappy paint from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an update I opened ANOTHER CALL with them had a friend of mine get coverage on their roof even past the extended warranty. They just notified me that they denied it again and they review the cases on a case to case basis. They also told me the areas of my car the upper portion of the quarter panel were not covered at the time even though the bulletin clearly states it is.
Took my Civic to a local guy and it was half the price of Honda repaint. Is it perfect no but it looks a lot lot better than it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tried this several times. They string you along for a while to give you the impression of "service" and eventually you don't hear back.
I tried once and had this same issue. I even had a guy open a case for me and I went to the dealership to get a quote and everything. The dealership didn't really listen to me when I said I didn't need dents pulled or filled and that I just wanted a sand, prime, base and clear, but they quoted me the whole 9 yards with body repair and of course the quote was sky high so once corporate got it, they followed up with me and I tried to explain that I just wanted fresh paint. Never heard back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Up until I purchased a new 2007 Civic I was a Honda fan. When my paint started peeling in 2012 the dealer said it was from high pressure car washes and warranty period was up.As I only hand wash with mild soap and never used car washes. I contacted Honda Canada and they would not entertain any conversation on a defective clearcoat. Since those years I have seen these forums on Honda. This company as far as I am concerned is 100% negligent in dealing with these concerns. How should you deal with this issue???....hit them where it hurts......I purchased a 2012 nissan and will NEVER purchase another Honda. This company does not have the same quality that they used to have years ago. I am in my 60's and have NEVER HAD A VEHICLE'S PAINT PEEL LIKE the 07 civic!!!!!!!, and I keep my vehicles for 12 to 15 years!........Really Honda.......your quality control department went AWOL ..........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts