8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

541 - 547 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Civic 2012 Canada

We Canadians should start a class action suit against Honda Canada for the obvious manufacturing problem with the paint.

In my case I took my 2012 pearl black civic in for an inspection 15 months ago and they wouldn't do anything for the chalking on my roof. (march 2018 it was 6 yrs old) I had a small issue with clear coat, couple of inches in size.

I brought it to 4 body shops for an estimate, they all told me Honda would cover it, so I did more research.

The American extended warranty offer of 7 yrs describes my problem exactly, except my car is from Canada. Same make/model, year and paint type.

I tried talking to Honda USA, and Canada and my dealer again. They all said it wasn't covered. In Canada our paint warranty extension only covers the hood and front side panels. It does not cover the roof or trunk or anything else.

This is what my roof looks like now, 15 months later. ***tinypic.com/r/2ak9q2s/9***

I guess Honda lied about having the best resale value.

I think it's criminal that my car should lose so much value in a single year due to an obvious manufacturing defect. Since last year I've noticed several other 2012's on the road with the same issues as me.

Last year my car was still worth at least 10k, I would be lucky to get 5k today.

Why should I have to strip and repaint my car due to a defect in manufacturing. I've owned much older cars than this and never had this issue before. Anyone interested in starting a class action, count me in?

As for Honda, I'll never buy or recommend Honda again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would be interested in this class action suit.
Honda wouldn't do a damn thing for me. I have an 06 Civic that is suffering crappy clear coat issues. People call it the "cloudy day" paint job... I have argued back and forth with honda years ago and they won't stand behind their vehicles (even though Honda USA had a recall for it in the USA). I had a 2001 Sunfire until 2016 and the paint on it looked just like it did when it was new... parked next to my civic it is embarrassing how bad the civic looks.
it's 2019 now and all the panels, doors, trunk, and hood on my civic have clear coat issues.. so terrible because I love my car and it still runs great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
took my 2008 Honda Civic SI (Black Pearl) to the dealer this morning. He checked the VIN in his system and said there is no such recall for my VIN series. Should I get in touch with American Honda in this case?
I tried this already with my 2006 EX coupe (black pearl). Honda USA claims they are not affiliated with Honda Canada and their recalls don't apply to Canadian vehicles. My vehicle was also manufactured in Alliston, ON so it didn't help my case...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Civic 2012 Canada

We Canadians should start a class action suit against Honda Canada for the obvious manufacturing problem with the paint.

In my case I took my 2012 pearl black civic in for an inspection 15 months ago and they wouldn't do anything for the chalking on my roof. (march 2018 it was 6 yrs old) I had a small issue with clear coat, couple of inches in size.

I brought it to 4 body shops for an estimate, they all told me Honda would cover it, so I did more research.

The American extended warranty offer of 7 yrs describes my problem exactly, except my car is from Canada. Same make/model, year and paint type.

I tried talking to Honda USA, and Canada and my dealer again. They all said it wasn't covered. In Canada our paint warranty extension only covers the hood and front side panels. It does not cover the roof or trunk or anything else.

This is what my roof looks like now, 15 months later. tinypic.com/r/2ak9q2s/9

I guess Honda lied about having the best resale value.

I think it's criminal that my car should lose so much value in a single year due to an obvious manufacturing defect. Since last year I've noticed several other 2012's on the road with the same issues as me.

Last year my car was still worth at least 10k, I would be lucky to get 5k today.

Why should I have to strip and repaint my car due to a defect in manufacturing. I've owned much older cars than this and never had this issue before. Anyone interested in starting a class action, count me in?

As for Honda, I'll never buy or recommend Honda again.
I live in Canada and in 2015 I had my Honda brought in for the same bulletin. I had my hood, 2 fenders and roof repainted and covered full under the extended warranty. Since I have a 2009 Honda Civic SI my extended warranty expired in 2016 and wouldn't you know it both of my quarter panels and trunk now have the same symptoms of the recall I asked them in 2015 that I wanted these areas painted as well since I would likely see this issue on those areas as well but they declined it since at the time there was no issue. I opened up multiple cases for the quarter panels and trunk but all got denied because I was now out of the extended warranty period. I heard of them giving some good will and covering portions of the costs with out of warranty vehicles but not in my case.

My car looks terrible I don't know why Honda would want these vehicles out there looking like this it's embarrassing more for them. This will be the last Honda Vehicle I own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same issue on a 2009 Civic LX. I contacted Honda since the previous owner never took care of that issue and they told me that they can't do anything since the previous owner did not get it done in the correct time window. Its amazing how many of these have these issues.

541 - 547 of 547 Posts