8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

521 - 540 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the dealer and just seeing what they can do or not. But looking at your info shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the help! ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
If 7yrs from the 'in service' date has already passed, you still may be eligible for a good faith offer from HOA. Don't expect 100%.
Do you have any details about this offer? I'm pretty sure my car was affected by the recall (royal blue and has definite signs of clearcoat failure exactly as others have posted... I'd post an image but I'm not allowed yet) but the previous owner never acted on it -

On October 18th my local tech college will start taking on cars to have body work / paint done and they do the work for cost of materials, so I was planning on going that route... but if there's a chance HOA might actually do something about it I would want to explore that option first. Any advice for me in how to pursue this? should I try to work through the dealer, or just try honda corporate? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
took my 2008 Honda Civic SI (Black Pearl) to the dealer this morning. He checked the VIN in his system and said there is no such recall for my VIN series. Should I get in touch with American Honda in this case?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah mine look bad on the hood and fenders. I went to an auto shop to get something look at on my car. they told me about the recall because it looked bad. He told me to go to Honda because it was a part of it and that he just finished someone car that Honda sent them. So I went to Honda dealership in Victorville, CA they gave me attitude and said they didn't no what I was talking about. Then I shoe it to them from online. Then he got all upset and said stay inside I'll check your vin. Then he came back in went to his computer to check. Then he came back to me with a smile and said you car isn't apart of the recall and said by.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 2007 stayed in the garage most of it's life (even during the day).. Started keeping it outside last summer and the clear coat immediately started wearing away on everything but the bumpers. Took it to the dealership and they told me that since I was past the 7 year mark I would need to submit a claim with HOA corporate which I did. They called and told me to take it to a specific shop for an estimate and then to meet with the service manager at the local dealer. The body shop said it would pretty much require a total repaint for $3500. The service manager supposedly submitted it to the district manager who denied it.

I know multiple other people with 8th gen civics that have the same issue.. After several Hondas between my wife and myself, this is probably my last. I've had too many expensive issues for a car this age.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I want to update this for anyone who still reads this:

Honda is about two years out from phasing out the 8th gen civic from this defect. The affected colors of the model years of 2010 and newer are the ONLY ones being painted under the noted defect. The warranty is from the date of delivery of the car. This is regardless of mileage, and how the vehicle was kept. My dealer stressed that if the car is older, there is nothing they can do per HOA.

Anyone with a 2010 or newer, inspect the paint, take it to the dealer or bodyshop, ensure that the paint is either bad or good, and go from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to update this for anyone who still reads this:

Honda is about two years out from phasing out the 8th gen civic from this defect. The affected colors of the model years of 2010 and newer are the ONLY ones being painted under the noted defect. The warranty is from the date of delivery of the car. This is regardless of mileage, and how the vehicle was kept. My dealer stressed that if the car is older, there is nothing they can do per HOA.

Anyone with a 2010 or newer, inspect the paint, take it to the dealer or bodyshop, ensure that the paint is either bad or good, and go from there.
We actually just got our 2010's hood and roof repainted. They didn't notice anything on the trunk area. Our warranty will expire in April. I'm glad I caught this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my hood and front fenders repainted on my 2010 Civic Si Sedan. Previously, I had the same issue on my 2006 Si Coupe. Westwood Honda was great both times after showing them the car. Luckily, I knew about the recall from my previous Civic but could barely see any paint defects on the newer car. That was until I gave it a polish and wax which brought out the "crows feet" markings more clearly. After that, it was straight to the dealership for fresh paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, I have a '10 Civic with this problem. Was never notified of the Bulletin extension. Problem started over a year ago and a body shop just recently told me to contact Honda. I was told by the dealer that my car was 4 months past the 7 years. Contacted Honda and they agreed to paint it, minus $500 out of pocket. I'm so pissed because had they painted it properly in the first place, or had they notified me as they should've, this would cost me nothing. Am fighting with them now over that last bit, but I am very soured on Honda for the future, and I'm a 30 year customer and former sales/service rep for them. Just poor

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Guys, I have a '10 Civic with this problem. Was never notified of the Bulletin extension. Problem started over a year ago and a body shop just recently told me to contact Honda. I was told by the dealer that my car was 4 months past the 7 years. Contacted Honda and they agreed to paint it, minus $500 out of pocket. I'm so pissed because had they painted it properly in the first place, or had they notified me as they should've, this would cost me nothing. Am fighting with them now over that last bit, but I am very soured on Honda for the future, and I'm a 30 year customer and former sales/service rep for them. Just poor
Wait a sec...

You waited a year after noticing the problem....

You're a 30yr customer....

You're a former sales/service rep for Honda....

You say you weren't notified of the extended warranty. Are you aware Honda wasn't required by any local, state or federal law to notify you?

Take the offer for $500 out of pocket from HOA before it expires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What do i do 7 years warranty expired and i have issues on my paint. should i bother bring it in to the dealership?
They refused to replace mine, though I was more than a year past the warranty expiration. Of course, I kept mine in a garage for most of its life and the peeling started pretty much immediately after it started spending significant time outside.

I was told by the dealer that it was the regional manager's decision. I also submitted a claim to honda of america and they said they couldn't do anything further for me. I'm not sure whether I could just go to a dealer in a different district and potentially get a different answer.

I know two people with the same issue and one got approved for a couple of panels getting repainted being a month past the expiration and another got 50% reimbursement for a full repaint that was a few months past.

I would say it's worth a shot as a full repaint is rather costly. But, expect to drive around to get pictures by the dealer and to the specific body shop they send you to for an estimate, and having to call people back and forth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
car rental during the painting?

Hello,

I want to send my car for the re-painting. May I know if Honda will provide free rental during that period of time? The dealership says I have to talk with Honda, since the dealership won't provide the car rental.

I called the Honda customer service, they said they only providing free rental for recall, this is a warranty extension, so they won't provide rental. Is it true? Any suggestion or help? I only have one car I could use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
X warranty civic

Same here , they are billing me about 300 for new window and top trim . I’m buying some bumper stays that are broken in addition . They told me hood , trunk lid , fenders and quarters to bottom of door and roof of course , no rockers , no mirrors or bumpers . They are being cheesy and gonna make me pay for a small golf ball divot on trunk lid ( petty ) . I asked about painting front bumper at my cost . They already have it off anyway ... It’s not included in warranty but my car has over 140 so I’m sure it has rock and big chips ... OVER 600 bucks . Hell , it’s a non -Honda body shop as well but they are close to them and I’m wondering if I have a choice of body shops so that I can get a little break . I wish they would just paint the whole damn car ! Mine is an ‘ 11 so I’m sure I’m at the tai end . Thank is fuys ..

521 - 540 of 550 Posts