8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

501 - 520 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a copy of this letter for the 2011's? I want to walk into the dealer with this letter, but since it specifies 2006-2010 I'm afraid they will use that as a quick excuse to push me out the door.
In a past post I uploaded the covered vehicles, but they are going to look up your Vin anyways to make sure it applies.

An update, my car was painted. I saw some questions on price and I saw the invoice for what the paint shop charged the dealership for my car and I don't know the exact price down to the penny and it was about 5,200 dollars

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted about my run-around with the dealer in another thread, but things are finally moving forward with my 2011 EX-L crystal black pearl. Mostly, I suspect, because I called Honda and they opened a case. Out of the blue, the dealer did a 180 on Monday after giving me such a hard time. Before, they wouldn't even take pics and measurements - tried to tell me it had been repainted by someone (BS of course.)

They asked me to bring the car in for pics and measurements so "they can get me taken care of ASAP." Next day, the service manager called and said the DSM gave him approval to move forward. They immediately verified the hood, fenders, and roof. They missed the passenger and driver's side pillars and trunk lid that had the circular cracks. I took it back to showed them and they added it to the diagram. They want me to get two estimates myself, though, for them to submit to Honda. Is this typical? I don't remember reading that the owner had to get estimates. The dealer farms it out to the shop of their choice.

I have one estimate done. The shop said there's no point in just painting the affected areas, since blending within a panel would just have more cracking down the road. He wants to do each panel completely. Basically, everything except the rear doors would be painted in their bid. What he says makes sense, but I don't know if Honda will go for it.

The service manager at the dealership also showed me the latest TSB and all the doors are listed as covered. If blending is an issue, should I go back to the first body shop and have them amend their bid to include the rear doors? There isn't any cracking there, but the body shop made it sound like it would be a good idea to get those done since there wouldn't be any blending issues. Would Honda go for this? The current bid is actually less than the last one the dealership had in for repaint, and less than most of the ones I've seen here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
old and new

So here are some pictures of my before and after, with a warning as well at the end. Sorry if this is too picture heavy

Front roof

Rear roof

Roof side

Trunk with some sap. Pine tress!

After (car was a tad dusty)

trunk and rear roof

Roof looks much better (dusty)

front

Unfortunately, the paint shop I had to go to did not do the best work. There are areas where it looks like the paint ran. My bumper didn't get painted all to well and it looks like there is just not enough paint, so it looks funky.
It is hard to tell in the picture, but this photo is an area where the bumper meets the rear quarter panel. I do not know much about paint but there is not enough paint

And my rear driver side door handle is practically falling off, so someone did not tighten it down correctly.

Again, sorry if I have too many pictures, but this is a warning for those of you who can get your car painted take a lot of time when you go to pick up your car and check everything possible. Make sure things are tightened back up. Check for paint that may have ran. Check for correct sanding. Examine everything to the best of your ability because I now have to deal with the auto body shop which is a pain in the butt so I can have them fix what they should have done right the first time. I made the mistake of taking a quick peek at my new paint job and driving off.
Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
My crystal black pearl SI is FINALLY getting the paint fixed!!!

Well... I just dropped my 2010 fg2 off at Parkway Honda in New Philadelphia of OH... after getting the run around from Hinderer and Tansky I called Honda of America and they recommended Parkway... They took me right in and got the ball rolling fast and they are some of the nicest service people I have dealt with... They said my paint failure on my car was one of the worst they have ever seen... Getting the roof, rear quarters, trunk lid, spoiler, and rear bumper redone... I will update once I get the car back on the job they did, but for right now they are the place to go if you live in Ohio

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well... I just dropped my 2010 fg2 off at Parkway Honda in New Philadelphia of OH... after getting the run around from Hinderer and Tansky I called Honda of America and they recommended Parkway... They took me right in and got the ball rolling fast and they are some of the nicest service people I have dealt with... They said my paint failure on my car was one of the worst they have ever seen... Getting the roof, rear quarters, trunk lid, spoiler, and rear bumper redone... I will update once I get the car back on the job they did, but for right now they are the place to go if you live in Ohio
Do you have some before pics?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Same car and paint code here. Also an FG2.
My defects were on the hood, fenders, roof and trunk . Seems like the problem is the paint itself rather than certain sections of the car as you mentioned quarter panels and bumper also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 06 started to have the cracks in the hood clear coat year 2.... I went to dealer I called Honda.. Idiots in service just kept telling me the car was black and it is Texas. It is from the heat. FINALLY afters years of complaining it was recalled due to the hood and fenders and they painted them for me. This fell under the extended recall warranty as my car was already out of the normal one.

I got to about 65,000 miles and the clear coat failed on the roof. then the trunk. then the tops of doors and pillars. I was told the warranty extension would not cover it. I was fuming again. When I hit about 80,000 miles I got a notice of extended warranty to fix the paint on my roof that was only good to 7 years or 75k which I was past both.

It is crap. I was furious beyond belief and Honda refused to fix the issue because I was past the limits. Seems like now every single Honda I see has clear coat failure anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to bump this up, but yesterday I washed my car and I noticed this. I am nearly to the end of my 7th year of ownership bought it brand new. Need to bring the car in along with the warranty extension letter.

I love Honda, but the way I read along this thread makes me vomit because of dealership denying any repair OR blaming dirt, tree sap, BS and etc... I live in Vancouver, BC where sunlight is not as strong as Texas / Cali. Does anyone have techniques to make them repair them at no cost?

00 - Hood.jpg

01 - Hood Zoom.jpg

02 - Roof.jpg

03 - Roof Zoom.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 06 started to have the cracks in the hood clear coat year 2.... I went to dealer I called Honda.. Idiots in service just kept telling me the car was black and it is Texas. It is from the heat. FINALLY afters years of complaining it was recalled due to the hood and fenders and they painted them for me. This fell under the extended recall warranty as my car was already out of the normal one.

I got to about 65,000 miles and the clear coat failed on the roof. then the trunk. then the tops of doors and pillars. I was told the warranty extension would not cover it. I was fuming again. When I hit about 80,000 miles I got a notice of extended warranty to fix the paint on my roof that was only good to 7 years or 75k which I was past both.

It is crap. I was furious beyond belief and Honda refused to fix the issue because I was past the limits. Seems like now every single Honda I see has clear coat failure anymore.
I brought mine in to Vancouver Honda today. The operation manager looked at the car and said the rust spot or bare metal spot is not "crack" as described in their warranty extension bulletin. Anyway, he took a picture and send it to Honda headquarter, asking us to follow up by Tuesday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have 2010 civic lx black with clear coat wear issue. Basically patches in various spots of cloudiness. Found out about extended paint warranty called honda was denied told we were two years too late for extended paint warranty. Not sure why a 6 year old if that car would have this problem living in N east u.s.? Any options?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Have 2010 civic lx black with clear coat wear issue. Basically patches in various spots of cloudiness. Found out about extended paint warranty called honda was denied told we were two years too late for extended paint warranty. Not sure why a 6 year old if that car would have this problem living in N east u.s.? Any options?
If you have a 2010, you're still within the extended warranty period. Call them back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to bump this up, but yesterday I washed my car and I noticed this. I am nearly to the end of my 7th year of ownership bought it brand new. Need to bring the car in along with the warranty extension letter.

I love Honda, but the way I read along this thread makes me vomit because of dealership denying any repair OR blaming dirt, tree sap, BS and etc... I live in Vancouver, BC where sunlight is not as strong as Texas / Cali. Does anyone have techniques to make them repair them at

Sorry, but that does not look anything like what the bulletin covers.

I work as a tech at a dealer, and see the cars being done at our body shop. It is a very specific issue. Had my blue 06 done for cracking of the paint. They are ONLY fixing heat damaged paint, heat from the engine bay, on the hood and top of fenders. The damaged paint will look like 1000's of small cracks in the paint about 1cm long. Nearly my entire hood and the tops of the fenders were covered in the cracks.

Would post a pic, but I don't have enough posts yet.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sorry, but that does not look anything like what the bulletin covers.

I work as a tech at a dealer, and see the cars being done at our body shop. It is a very specific issue. Had my blue 06 done for cracking of the paint. They are ONLY fixing heat damaged paint, heat from the engine bay, on the hood and top of fenders. The damaged paint will look like 1000's of small cracks in the paint about 1cm long. Nearly my entire hood and the tops of the fenders were covered in the cracks.

Would post a pic, but I don't have enough posts yet.
Sorry, but....

The paint damage in the pics of the post you quoted are, in fact, covered under Honda's extended paint warranty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The original service bulletin means nothing since it was superceded - and superceded more than once for that matter.

Look up SB 14-034.

Interesting. In Canada, the bulletin was only expanded to include additional colours. There is nothing in the expanded bulletin about paint on the roof, trunk or rear 1/4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2010 I just purchased and the roof is showing clear coat issues but nothing else. Is it possible to have the hood/fenders redone even if they are not peeling yet?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for your help. What do I say to them? Is there something I can site? I have only seen web posts about the extended paint warranty but no cut off date. Thanks.
Bring your car to the dealer. They'll have to check the VIN against the database to see if the car is eligible. Point out the paint problem. Be polite.
The only issue I had was getting Honda to pay for the rental car. They finally agreed to pay for it after I had filed a complaint with the BBB. Now whether that had anything to do with it or it was just coincidence, who knows, all I know is they paid. :dance:

I also have a 2010 I just purchased and the roof is showing clear coat issues but nothing else. Is it possible to have the hood/fenders redone even if they are not peeling yet?
Here's the latest (2014) info I could find on the paint recall:

Many Honda vehicles have experienced paint problems, and the automaker is offering to repair at least some of them, extending the paint warranty to seven years from the original purchase date, with no mileage limit.

If you own a 2006-2011 Honda Civic, 2007-2011 CR-V, 2009-2011 Pilot, or 2011-2012 Odyssey with cracked or peeling paint, you may qualify for a free fix at your local Honda dealer, according to a series of Technical Service Bulletins issued by Honda of America between January 2013 and November 2013. (Learn more about Technical Service Bulletins.)

The catch is that the repainting applies to only some body panels, in some cases only to vehicles originally sold in 25 northern states, and in other cases only to certain colors. Honda has sent out notification letters to affected owners, but there’s a good bet not all owners got them. What’s covered and what’s not is truly complicated.

For Civics, for instance, bulletin number 12-049 covers just the hood and top of the front fenders on 2006 to 2010 Civics that came in one of nine specified colors (four shades of blue, two shades of black, and three in gray or silver), and 2011 Civics of any color. Another TSB, 13-060, covers the roof and trunk of the same cars in any of the nine colors. Finally, TSB 13-004 applies to just the trunk lid of 2009 to 2011 Civics sold in 25 northern states, excluding the Pacific Northwest.

Remedial work on the CR-V (2007-2011), Odyssey (2011-2012), and Pilot (2009-2011) is limited to “refinishing and polishing” the tailgate, and applies only to vehicles sold in 25 northern states. The relevant TSBs are 13-005, 13-002, and 13-003, respectively.

Unsurprisingly, the warranty work covers only defective paint and not paint damaged by stone chips, bird poop, or some other external cause. But there’s a good chance that if your car’s paint defects have shown up on more areas than the TSBs specify, you can get Honda to repair those free, too. The dealer has to get prior approval from the district office, though, and that might take a while. Be persistent.

Honda Civic, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot | Defective Paint - Consumer Reports News

501 - 520 of 549 Posts