8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

461 - 480 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just wanted to share. My 2008 Honda Civic was approved to be repainted under warranty. Honda will paint all but the bumpers and 4 doors. Just right on time, 2 months before the warranty expires.Car rental will be provided by Honda Care for 1 week. Nice!
That's great. Just wanted to know did you have to argue with them providing a rental car or did they offer it to you? I'm just wondering if it's something they're offering now. Before you either didn't get a rental or you had to argue with them or depend on the dealer giving you a loaner.

For those that are having a problem with their repainted car having the paint fade, did the shop not give you a warranty on the paint repair? The shop they sent me to said the paint has a lifetime warranty for as long as I own the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually car rental is not provided but since I have Honda Care warranty, they will give me a 6-day free car rental..I
Didnt have to argue regarding the paint problem. I went to the dealership just to show them the paint issue on the trunk but after inspecting it they told me that the hood, front fenders, the whole quarter panels and the roof need to be repainted...just on time before my 7 year warranty ends on april of this year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had my car repainted last August under the warranty. Honda would only cover the roof and front fenders and I was worried about it matching so I went ahead and paid extra to do the whole car, even though my paint was in otherwise great condition since I clay and polish twice per year and know how to wash it properly. I figured this could help the resale when I sell it later this year.

But now I have some problems. There are a few areas on the front of my car (bumpers, fenders, hood) where the paint got chipped away all the way down to the steel. Now before I had the re-paint done, I had the common rock chips on the front typical of a 90k mile vehicle, but none that went down THAT deep. I'm shocked that it has gone down to the metal considering the paint thickness should be way thicker than factory now. And this is after only a few thousand miles compared to the 90k before the paint job.

Here are just two spots to show, larger one is on the hood and other is on the fender.

Would this be due to the quality of the paint job? Trying to decide what I should do and if I need to contact the shop that did the paint job. Is this normal for rock chips?

Not a good situation considering I didn't have to pay extra for the rest of the car to be painted and it's not going to look good to a potential buyer if I say the whole car has been repainted but looks like this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had my car repainted last August under the warranty. Honda would only cover the roof and front fenders and I was worried about it matching so I went ahead and paid extra to do the whole car, even though my paint was in otherwise great condition since I clay and polish twice per year and know how to wash it properly. I figured this could help the resale when I sell it later this year.

But now I have some problems. There are a few areas on the front of my car (bumpers, fenders, hood) where the paint got chipped away all the way down to the steel. Now before I had the re-paint done, I had the common rock chips on the front typical of a 90k mile vehicle, but none that went down THAT deep. I'm shocked that it has gone down to the metal considering the paint thickness should be way thicker than factory now. And this is after only a few thousand miles compared to the 90k before the paint job.

Here are just two spots to show, larger one is on the hood and other is on the fender.

Would this be due to the quality of the paint job? Trying to decide what I should do and if I need to contact the shop that did the paint job. Is this normal for rock chips?

Not a good situation considering I didn't have to pay extra for the rest of the car to be painted and it's not going to look good to a potential buyer if I say the whole car has been repainted but looks like this.
I would think that since you had the whole car repainted, you should contact the paint shop, not Honda. The paint shop should've given you a warranty on the work they did, even if Honda paid for part of it. I'm no paint expert but those chips don't seem like a defect would cause that. What hit your car to make chips all the way down to the metal is my question? Bring your car to a different paint shop(s) and get their opinion. Hopefully one that is reputable, good rating with the BBB. They should be able to tell you if it's a defect in the work, the paint, or both, or neither. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Received word today, after a 2 week wait, Honda is covering my Fiji blue '08 Si , just in time, my extended coverage period expires in June.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a 2010 Crystal Black Pearl Honda Civic the paint on my hood was cracking. I took it to the dealership in 2012 and they agreed to paint it however now the paint on the roof and sides of my car are fading. Is anyone else experiencing an issue such as this? I searched and could not find any recalls to cover this issue. I know that my car is 5 years old but, I don't think that the paint should be fading.
Were you able to get the other parts repainted?

I already had my roof and rear passenger door done over a year ago but now I have noticed the clear coat peeling along the pillars. Possibly a problem on my front quarter panel as well.

·
Registered
878 Posts
So my 08 GG is quite bad looking on the roof. People still able to get this fixed under the warrenty? Or at some discounted rate? Its really starting to bug me on how bad it looks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So my 08 GG is quite bad looking on the roof. People still able to get this fixed under the warrenty? Or at some discounted rate? Its really starting to bug me on how bad it looks.
I suggest bringing the car to a dealer in your area. They will run the VIN and let you know if it's eligible or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
And remember, if they say no, try to **** them, they may give in. I managed to get them to do my roof rails after fighting them for 4 months and calling the BBB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alright, I went to 1 dealership and they said would cover only hood, fenders, roof, and trunk. That's it. So I waited went to another dealership and was told they would repaint the whole car except bumper and mirrors. Awesome right?
What else I found is no matter who you are or how much you complain they will not cover the bumpers which would cost 175 out of my own pocket, each. They will not cover the mirrors which are 75 each. I was also told dents would run about 75 dollars each.
other good news. Paint would be life time warranty. Rental car for 8 days
sooo... I suggest if you want your car painted you complain complain. Who do you complain to? The manager of that service department or that dealership because it seems like it is up to his discretion to paint the whole car and no one else's. . . My last tip find a busy busy busy dealer because the slow [I make no money ] dealer was quick to tell me no and yet my experience today at a busy\ high volume dealership was so quick just to make me happy. I'll post pictures soon of my 09 si before and after very soon.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hello all, haven't been on since 2013...:haybunny:

Anyhow, way back when this first started (first TSB) I was told Mugens were not a part of the recall... was told this on the old transmission TSB as well.. Both of these verdicts were done via VIN check - no inspection. I never received a letter either....

Fast forward to late 2013, the paint letter finally pops up... I see that I have plenty of time being that I bought the Mugen new in May 08 and decide to let the issue go full baked before going in for inspection. This whole time, I am thinking no way the whole car is getting painted because I only have fading on the roof. The car is garaged and parked in mostly shade at work.

So in the late December 15 I start getting the itch and take it in for inspection... collision leadership comes up and immediately starts saying," oh yeah... yeah..." and scribbles some notes... 5 min later he says the whole car has to get painted... In shock I asked why... He started showing me all of the fading-to-white crevices all over the vehicle... its pretty bad/consistent throughout... Guess I hadn't noticed because I haven't hand washed the car in years...

Well I dropped her off this weekend. Didn't think to ask for a rental since I still have super stock healthy Rex Si. They say 1 week which makes me a bit nervous but if it goes for more than 1 week I might ask for the rental.

I will report back soon... hopefully with good news. :wavey:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to share my experience as well.

I have a 2008 honda civic ex Nighthawk Black Pearl color.
After 4 years and 2 being kept in the garage the clear on roof started to come off. 3 more years and now everything is coming off like everyone else. My warranty expires next month in June.

I just found out about this bulletin and brought my car into the dealership I purchased it from. After 5 minutes of inspection they agreed to paint everything but the bumpers They said since it is plastic is not affected.(I think side mirrors aren't covered as well since its plastic)

Not sure if it is factory repaint but they are sending it to an affiliated auto paint shop.
The auto shop quoted me $600 and I haggled them down to $550 just for bumpers. I think I may just leave them as it as they are not in bad condition.. Should I just get it done??
Anyone else do everything but the bumpers? how did it turn out? I think leaving it should match the new paint OK...

Honda did not offer me a rental and said it could take up to 2 weeks.

I will update with before and after pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does this only qualify for the first person who bought the car? I am the 4th owner of my 2006 civic si coupe. The front bumper and hood are horrid!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does this only qualify for the first person who bought the car? I am the 4th owner of my 2006 civic si coupe. The front bumper and hood are horrid!
No, the only things that matter is if it was previously painted and if it's still under the warranty period. Otherwise, you should be good. Just go to your Honda dealer and let them check the VIN to see if your car is eligible or not.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So I just got quoted $835 to repaint the roof for my 07 sedan. I missed the warranty by 3 months so Honda is only offering to pay $430 or "50%".

For those of you that had this work done, does the $830 quote seem fair? What did they put on your invoice?

I think that is kind of a lot but it has been years since I have had any paint work done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I just got quoted $835 to repaint the roof for my 07 sedan. I missed the warranty by 3 months so Honda is only offering to pay $430 or "50%".

For those of you that had this work done, does the $830 quote seem fair? What did they put on your invoice?

I think that is kind of a lot but it has been years since I have had any paint work done.
I think the price was over $1k but that was for the front hood and fenders, not the roof. I suggest you get quotes from a couple of paint shops so you can compare prices. Sucks that you missed the deadline. I would still file a complaint with the BBB and whatever consumer agency you have in your state. IMO there shouldn't be a deadline on something that is the manufacturers fault if the work was never taken care of in the first place. Good luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi guys,
Can someone repost the Recall letter?
I can't find the one I got about a year ago.

I got a 08 Civic Si Galaxy Gray and always thought my paint wasn't defective until a couple weeks ago I took it to the body shop for it's yearly full wax detail and guy told me had the hood crowl feet and the clear coat on roof was super thin and about to start peeling and wasn't going to be able to wax it next year any longer.

I have a used Certified 7 year or 100K warranty which expires in a couple weeks.
I called the dealer to check my transmission because 50% of the time the 3rd and 6 gears don't engage properly and to check the paint as well.

The service person asked me to bring it and they will check if Honda wants to pay to fix the paint but no free rental if they do.

Do you know if I am on time for the paint recall and who to call at Honda to make them pay for a rental car?

I work out of State 1 hour away and there is no public transportation.

Any help will be appreciated it, appointment is this Wednesday morning.

I have to be ready to fight this dealer if refuse to help me.

461 - 480 of 550 Posts