8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my friend (who drives a '98 Corolla) is interested in a supercharger, and he found this "universal" supercharger from ExMotorz:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Supercharger-Turbo-Vtec-Civic-Prelude-CR-V-S200_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQihZ013QQitemZ230196687949QQtcZphoto

Apparently, they make a universal supercharger for each manufacturer (Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, Subaru, etc...). And they claim that you get 15-30% more hp from this simple install.

This "supercharger" is electric, and it installs onto the air intake just as any cold air induction system does. What bugs me is:

1) It's ridiculously cheap: ~$67 + shipping! Damn. Is this **** for real?

2) How does this supercharger achieve the sufficient pressurized air needed for boost? It doesn't run off of the drive pulley, so I wonder how it gets its power. It must have some small electric motor in it...

3) eBay feedback lists a happy set of customers who talk about the nice packaging, the quick delivery, etc. Only a few said that they didn't notice a performance gain and thought the "supercharger" is cheaply made.

2-3 lbs. boost. 15-30% hp gains. Universal. Should my friend get this? Do you guys think we can run this on our Si's? :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Everyone says that, but 1-2 psi will make a difference any way you slice it. Somone try it! And dyno! But dam is ugly.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
our ECM adjusts for this....i think. More air more fuel, as far as the ECM is concerned when it sees more air it will dump more fuel. How is this wrong?

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
The stock MAP sensor works to 11psi. I say buy a lot of the electric supercharger gizmos and give all of them to your friends for Christmas.

After that, give it a few weeks for them to report and they probably won't be your friends anymore. If they are, then they would probably relist on eBay. :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There is no way that little electric fan can keep up with the amount of vacuum an engine creates. It would need to overcome 20 lbs of vaccum and then some to actually pressurize the IM. NOT going to happen from an electric fan.

To get perspective, if you have charge piping off of the TB on a turbo car (not driving so there is no load) and you give it a quick rev with your hand over the charge piping: It will THORW your hand away. And that isn't even enough boost to register on a gauge/make any power.

Basically, once you start the car the engine will be sucking air in faster than that fan spins and it will do nothing but make restriction.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Eh, I say someone try it and dyno it, then get back to us. That's the only way to tell for sure. I'm with it that it's not going to work much, if at all.

Someone get it, dyno it, and get back to us. Then resell it. XD

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There was someone on a different site that tried one and then smashed it with a baseball bat. There's your evidence :p

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was someone on a different site that tried one and then smashed it with a baseball bat. There's your evidence :p
That was a homemade electric supercharger using a fan haha. Clever, but they lost 10 hp, no surprise there.

I'll tell you guys what. I don't think my friend is dynoing anytime soon, but i'll time his 0-60 before and after installing this electric supercharger. If it seems to work, I'll get him a boost gauge to see how much boost is being made. :thumb:

Oh yeah, and here are some more electric supercharger pages:
http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
http://www.vorteccyclone.com/boosthorsepower.html

^ the last one is interesting, but its weak sauce haha. If only it ran 2-3 lbs of boost...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts