8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Civic SI and am currently pursuing a great exhaust system on it as I also have a skunk CAI that should run great together. At first I thought all I need is a cat back exhaust but got to looking at my stock cat and it looks as if it’s falling apart. Does anyone know if I buy a high flow cat is that a stock cat replacement and then will be able to hook a cat back exhaust system to that? I know this is pretty elementary to some but just trying to figure it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yes if it is a stock cat replacement, it will fit just like stock. I think you are talking about something like the stock header and hfc cat in the top of this picture:
FB_IMG_1530986069363.jpg

The bottom is a race header with the hfc welded in after the header on the other pipe. A cat back exhaust will bolt onto either one.

Here was my old stock setup:
20171026_175212.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh awesome!!! Thanks for spelling that out for me that makes perfect sense. I’m wondering also if you go through the trouble to get a high flow cat is it sensible to put it and a cat back exhaust on stock headers? Would there be a noticeable difference going with racing headers? I’m wondering if I got that far if it would be better just to go ahead and get the new headers as well?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Headers will make more of a difference for sure combined with a cat back exhaust. It's all about eliminating the bottleneck. A catback exhaust will just sound good, and a matching bigger pipe diameter header will make more power, but you then need a chip to make it really work, plus an intake. Move air in and out with bigger pipes and tell the computer to breathe more.

·
Registered
447 Posts
From what I've researched a header will truly give you gains compared to exhaust.

There are a couple aftermarket headers available with high flow cats

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok awesome. So once I get those things I really need a tune then. Suggest Hondata for that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts