8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Honda Civic

I have a crack in the exhaust manifold.. what do you recommend to seal it? My mechanic told me I can't weld it because it's cast iron.. but I was wondering if I could use a product like "Mighty Putty" (that I've seen in infomercials, www.mightyputty.com) to seal it to avoid replacing this very expensive part.

What do you think?

Opinions are definitely appreciated.

·
Registered
838 Posts
WTF... that mighty putty will melt off and crumble after teh first few minutes you crank over the car.

Cast Iron can be welded. I believe it is with a feed that is high in nickle content, and has to be hammered in between spots. It is very labor intensive and costly. By the time you are done removing it, havign it welded, and reinstalling it, you are better off installing an aftermarket piece or an aftermarket OEM approved unit IMO.

Good luck. Wait for others to chime in on the welding of cast iron.

·
Registered
838 Posts
where can I find inexpensive aftermarket parts?

ON a budget, and my mechanic implied that this would be a costly job for him to install this. Pissing me off is what it is.

Recommendations?
Since this car is coming up on 10 years of service, might as well upgrade. It is really not difficult to replace in your driveway on a saturday. I would recommend in having spare manifold studs/bolts handy in case you tweak one of them during removal. Having an EZ out extractor set is benificial as well. Everything else is just remove and reinstall.

I have never heard of a mechanic to complain about a costly job...

EBay has good quaility parts on occasion. search around.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I assume it's a LX/DX. Which means you need the fun all in-one manifold/catalytic converter (they're one piece), which means just throwing an ebay equivalent in there is going to make your car illegal (you'll have eliminated the catalytic converter).

In order to make the swap, you'll need the B pipe from an EX civic (sedan or coupe like yours), a EX catalytic converter, and then the appropriate d series header.

if it's an EX, you can ignore the above, get the ebay header, and enjoy.

If you have the EX, honestly, just get a megan racing stainless steel header. Megan Racing

it's two parts so it's easier to install, and they're decent quality.

as for installation, it's pretty straight forward as most have said, the hard part is normally removing the old oxygen sensor, and most of the bolts to attach to the block rust pretty well.

I've done one in about 2 hours, but had another take 6... all depends on the bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume it's a LX/DX. Which means you need the fun all in-one manifold/catalytic converter (they're one piece), which means just throwing an ebay equivalent in there is going to make your car illegal (you'll have eliminated the catalytic converter).

In order to make the swap, you'll need the B pipe from an EX civic (sedan or coupe like yours), a EX catalytic converter, and then the appropriate d series header.

if it's an EX, you can ignore the above, get the ebay header, and enjoy.

If you have the EX, honestly, just get a megan racing stainless steel header. Megan Racing

it's two parts so it's easier to install, and they're decent quality.

as for installation, it's pretty straight forward as most have said, the hard part is normally removing the old oxygen sensor, and most of the bolts to attach to the block rust pretty well.

I've done one in about 2 hours, but had another take 6... all depends on the bolts.

I have a DX. so i will need to buy the catalytic converter AND the exhaust manifold? How much does this typically run? eBay will have this?

Is there a repair manual I can find online to help me change this myself?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
honestly, when i had a similar problem with my 98 DX, I went the replace entire exhaust system route.

The factory part is $600, and most aftermarket ones run around $400, so it wound up being a better idea to replace the entire system for slightly more with something performance wise.

I ended up with a megan racing header, magnaflow high flow cat, and an RSR catback exhaust in the long run.

You could probably get all Megan Racing bits for about the same as the one piece item from Honda, and gain some performance out of it.

Plus side to changing it all at once, means less disassembly and less assembly under the car (you can assemble pretty much the entire thing out of the car so all you have to do under it is hook on the hangers and put in the three bolts to connect the downpipe to the header).

A haynes or chilton manual will have most of the exhaust tear down in it, and I'd recommend getting the special socket for o2 sensor removal as well, it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I welded my friends cast iron manifold with my MIG on an old mazda 323 and it lasted for a couple years. I don't have any idea who says you can't weld it but it worked fine. I just turned the voltage up really high :thumb:
it's more that the old manifolds have a tendency to crack right where the branches meet, so it's damn near impossible to get a welder in there.

It was a poor design that I believe is still in use in the hybrids and fits.

·
Registered
110 Posts
small crack is weldable..large crack not really..
jb weld or other stuff..no..
like the others said- find a used one..plenty of guys put headers on..
should be cheap if you are on a budget..
replacing it easy fairly easy and straight foward

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.