8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never done this myself before, but a buddy and I are going to attempt it Friday. Anything I should know ahead of time or is it pretty straight forward?? Anybody know where I can get a DIY article on this? I searched but couldn't find one.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
im also going to be installing my exhaust soon (saturday hopefully if the weather cooperates)

im pretty sure its not that bad (basically unbolt the old system, and bolt on the new one)... you just need a good jack, jack stands, and hand tools... definitely going to be easier than my CAI install for sure

the one problem ive heard is the bolts attaching the piping to the cat are TIGHT.. so plan to use a big wrench for torque and possibly a mallet or breaker bar or something

which exhaust did you order?

·
Registered
956 Posts
my friend and I are going to be installing his new exhaust next monday. Im gonna have vids of it before/after/during the install. Its an Altima SE-R though

·
Registered
281 Posts
I guess it depends on which exhaust???? Most are fairly simple...I know on my Skunk2, the hangers on the muffler had to be cut a bit so it wouldn't cause any rattling..I'm sure each exhaust may have specific oddities you may have to deal with...

·
You'll only die tired
4,296 Posts
EVO2 was a piece of cake....I know you already have jack stands right?? The bolts to the cat were tight, i just braced my feet on the frame of the car with a Craftsman Ratchet and pulled....the popped off with medium effort...Enjoy

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blurry said:
I guess it depends on which exhaust???? Most are fairly simple...I know on my Skunk2, the hangers on the muffler had to be cut a bit so it wouldn't cause any rattling..I'm sure each exhaust may have specific oddities you may have to deal with...

Yea, mine is the Skunk 2, I definitely don't want any rattles! How could you tell where to cut the hangers? I'll want to make sure I do this.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Redleg06Si said:
EVO2 was a piece of cake....I know you already have jack stands right?? The bolts to the cat were tight, i just braced my feet on the frame of the car with a Craftsman Ratchet and pulled....the popped off with medium effort...Enjoy
thats good to know... i ordered the evo2! :dancing:

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
nalinc23 said:
Yea, mine is the Skunk 2, I definitely don't want any rattles! How could you tell where to cut the hangers? I'll want to make sure I do this.
cut here just to teh left of teh last notch....you only have to cut teh two on teh muffler.
I used a sawz-all but you can also use a cut-off wheel on a grinder....you will be there for hours with a hack saw

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
like everyone said, the cat bolts are rusted tightly so they werent coming off until..... i used an airwrench with swivel impact bit and they were off in 30 seconds :D

i would suggest having one of these handy

and the rest of the install was cake... so much easier than an intake install

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
my tanabe was easy. my buddy had to cut the hangers on his skunk 2 70mm because they rattled. the guy that posted earlier was dead on when he circled the spot to cut on the hangers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts