8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my exhaust couple month ago, its a Greddy TiC and I got 2in welded on to it, because I have a sedan but about every two weeks my exhaust gasket keeps burning what could be the problem I am embaraced to go back to the shop again because I am there all the time for the same reason, also I have a dc race header. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
burns? its going to heat up and seal..? im sure what your saying..which gasket is it the one from your header to the catback?

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
if you dont want to go back you can get this metallis aspestose/lead gasket mesh type paper that you can cut into whatevershap you eant... or just use a normal gasket and coat it in ultra copper. its made by permatex and can be found at all auto parts stores.

this will give you a good thermal brake... but the lead-type gasket peper is your best choice, its fiberouse and expensive. a place that makes gaskets and repairs starters/ bores blocks would have it...

its garranteed noit to burn, you can hold a torch to it and it wont so much as discolour...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
the ones they use suck im guessing? or they didnt make the pipe long enough so when it heats up the gasket seperates from each pipe somewhat causing a leak..

·
Registered
130 Posts
wasn't there something mentioned about this before. When I got my WSII it had a weird burnt smell for about a week or two.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
whats the di of the pipe?, i can probable make you one out of the aspoestose lead and ship it to you... or just send you one thats close, the holes dont need to line up or anything...

they will be off of a volvo truck though, not like it matters....

the egr valves use the same size pipes as we do for exhaust... so what size is your pipe?

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
dude if you want help you need to reply to your own thread... ;)

heres one of the metalic gaskets i had laying around, its almost 2" id... idk if thats too small, did you have the k20 or r18 again i do have other ones..., but this one in particular i have a bunch of and if you want it its yours...

sorry about the cell phone cam pic, but it should be clear enough for what we need to see... also i know its not the same shape but it doesnt have to be...

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Exhaust gaskets are metallic, and therefore shouldn't/can't burn. Are they using gaskets made of cork or something?

The other possibility is that they're not using silicon-based sealant, but some kinda flamable one.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
mine are paper?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey, I think the pipe size is 2.50in or 2.75in, I dont know what the gasket is made out of, I have a k20. Let me know about the gasket and how much. Also I think I am suppose to have 3 holes not two. Thanks to everybody for a reply.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
B-pipe to Cat gasket has three holes, the rest typically have two. You should always get the gasket size that matches your piping inner diameter. So if it uses 60mm (ie 2.36") piping, then use that size gasket.

Gaskets are about $3.50 and can be had in almost any auto parts store. I got mine by going to an Autozone and Pepboy.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Made in Mexico, no-name brand, but they haven't blown up my catback so they're fine so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts