8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I bought a 2007 civic Si that has full bolt ons, has an Invidia full exhaust with header, and the drone is horrible mid range, what can I do to quiet the cabin noise? I love the acceleration this thing has but man..it can bleed your ears lol considering a quieter muffler, any suggestions?. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Strange. No one reports drone on the coupe. is the exhaust a full 3" ? is the cat back canister type?
few options that come to mind:
*you could add a silencer on the tip of the canister but it will sound different (no more raceboi sound)
*You could add dynamite or any other sound dampening on the trunk and wheel well should help a bit.
* You could change the catback exhaust to something less loud .. e.i Q300 or full-race
*Last, solder a Helmhotz Resonator (dead branch ) on the mid pipe past the cat. This will block the 100Hz frequency resonance of the exhaust. There are formulas and theorems online. I have done this, but I still have a bit of highway drone on my Sedan 2009 with a stock header, cat and Q300. A exhaust shop solder a 2.5" diameter 97cm long dead end pipe past my cat running parallel to the main pipe. However, I was able to cancel 70 to 80% of the drone. Maybe adding stiffer exhaust hangers might block vibrations thus less drone noise transfer to the cabin...

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gives me something to consider, yeah it's 3" all the way with canister type muffler. I'll crawl under it one of these days and see if it's secured correctly also, it ain't rubbing on the body or such

·
Registered
22 Posts
If what he recommended doesn't fix it, and you happen to have a welder and a bit of time on your hands, there's always a way to get rid of the drone without sacrificing the sound of the exhaust. Check this video out, there's plenty of other videos on the same topic as well:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts