8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between an 08 EX coupe & an 08 EX coupe w/ navi?

Is it JUST the OEM in-dash navigation? Difference in dealer invoice is a little over $1600 & difference in MSRP is $1750. That seems like a LOT for just that one upgrade.

I've been passively searching for an 08 coupe w/navi 5spd MT & that seems to be a very unusual combination. None on dealer lots in my state. My dealer said it would be Feb - Mar before I could get one even. Searching used & all I can find within 200+ miles is an 07 @ Carmax w/ 8k miles & a $18,600 price tag. I'll keep my 06 EX non-navi before paying that much for a used one. Heck, for $1600, I could probably just have a really good one installed & be better off?

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
The navigation unit is worth it, I think. Voice activated commands. You'll never get lost. The PC card is a nice little thing, but I have no desire for one. It also makes XM standard and comes with three months free. The non-navigation units are "XM Ready" which is really misleading. You have to buy a 300+ dollar kit, and have it installed. The navi model comes with XM standard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The navigation unit is worth it, I think. Voice activated commands. You'll never get lost. The PC card is a nice little thing, but I have no desire for one. It also makes XM standard and comes with three months free. The non-navigation units are "XM Ready" which is really misleading. You have to buy a 300+ dollar kit, and have it installed. The navi model comes with XM standard.
When did XM become standard for the EX w/navi? Cuz it wasn't standard on the 2006's. XM Ready is what is standard on the 2006's. I should know, my mom has one. (She's got a TW sedan 5MT EX w/navi) Just wondering.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
XM came with the navigation unit. Meaning you didn't have to buy the kit like you would have if you had a non-navigation model.

If your mother doesn't have XM on her 2006 navigation model, I'm willing to bet that she didn't activate it, because I am 100% sure that every Civic model that came with navigation has every necessary (minus the call-in activation) necessary to have XM without buying anything else.

The XM Ready models are any EX or Si model that does not have navigation. It's really stupid, because you have to spend way too much to get the kit, and have it installed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the PC card for? To upload new maps or to play mp3's from?

I had XM a couple years ago. It was an add-on kit. Wasn't at all impressed & ditched it after 6 months even though I had already paid for a year's service in advance. The only stations I liked had commercials - and they were long, stupid commercials, over & over again. That pissed me off b/c I figured if I was paying for the service, it shouldn't have so much commercial time too. I did like the fact that when travelling i didn't have to search for new stations in each new town, but otherwise I'd rather not have it all things being equal. To be fair, the add-on kit went thru FM so the sound quality wasn't very good & it was a PIA to change channels & such while driving so that probably didn't help my perception of XM.

Maybe when my car is ready for replacement I'll upgrade to the OEM navi. Until then......mapquest (groan) I guess.

Thanks Ringpop - rep for nice answer.

Lightly - I really don't know what you were trying to say, but it made me smile : )

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
When did XM become standard for the EX w/navi? Cuz it wasn't standard on the 2006's. XM Ready is what is standard on the 2006's. I should know, my mom has one. (She's got a TW sedan 5MT EX w/navi) Just wondering.
i have a 2006 civic ex navi it came with xm free for 3 months all i ahd to do was click on the screen where ti said xm it was so cool...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Only the 06 EX navi coupes came with XM installed. The 06 navi sedans were only "XM ready".

I don't have the cool little antenna thing on top of my car and I've got an 06 navi sedan. It just has the little "XM" printed on the navi frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.