8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is it possible to swap the regular coupes R18 motor for the K20 in the Si?? i know it seems a little silly, but the K20 has an established aftermarket parts list while the R18 has zilch and is harder to work on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok no one has answered this question becuase it so obsured(sp), ask yourself what is the point when you can spend less money and just get an si?

·
Registered
98 Posts
imsonastie said:
ok no one has answered this question becuase it so obsured(sp), ask yourself what is the point when you can spend less money and just get an si?
Maybe he has a sedan like me. If there was an SI sedan with an auto I would have waited.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
or maybe its like me... that here they dont sell the Si
but i was thinkin in a swap of a k24... but who knows...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sure that Hasport will have mounts for the K20 engines assuming it's not a straight swap. The mounting points on the K20Z3 are supposedly different from the other K-Series engines but to what extent?

It makes sense if you want to drop a K24 block in there if you're talking about the EX coupe and the price difference between the EX and Si is significant enough. Just wish we know the Si's price for sure. But with the Si, you already have the head. What extras come with the Si that you can't get on the EX? Aluminum pedals? Different suspension?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason being is that the car was a gift... so I cant exactly go get myself a Si, and tbh i really dont want to mess around with a stick in Los Angeles traffic...

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
MaxxxRacer said:
So is it possible to swap the regular coupes R18 motor for the K20 in the Si?? i know it seems a little silly, but the K20 has an established aftermarket parts list while the R18 has zilch and is harder to work on.
Granted, I wouldn't know what would fit until I actually looked at it but if you were going to put anything in there I wouldn't put an Si K20 in it. K24a2 (TSX) with a K20a S or K20a R head (RSX-S, RSX-R respectively) :D ...not sure what you'd do for the ECU but it could probably be recalibrated. I'm sure Hondata wouldn't mind doing it (screw Hondata...they flat out told us they would never do an ECU for the Legend :mad: ). Hmm...that would be sweet in a sedan...:cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
thats one thing that confuses me the engine bay looks so small with that r18 in there, yet the si has a k20z whatever in it, so yea it is probaly possible , i mean there was a k powered 7thgen sedan (factory), so im sure it can and will be done in some part of the world

·
Registered
37 Posts
so u dont want a stick but want to put a k engine in it. no offence but whats th point. save the car and tradfe it in as an upgrade for the si. youll save AT LEAST 4k doing so. a new swap will run about 8k

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im 90% sure that it'll be possiable. It has been done tons of time on the 7thgen. Even if its not a direct swap which it probably wont be u could get some new motor mounts and redo the ECU and some other things. Basically, its not a question of IF but WHEN....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chris06si: I know it sounds really dumb, but as for the reasons I pointed out above I cant get an Si. I would certianly like one, but thats not possible right now for various reasons.

Maybe I can wait for a kid in his riced up Si to crash it and put it in the junkyard. Could go salvage the engine.. lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Swap

My guess is it will be a direct swap. We will do one in the next couple of months once I get some other projects out of the way.

brian g

·
Registered
321 Posts
brian g said:
My guess is it will be a direct swap. We will do one in the next couple of months once I get some other projects out of the way.

brian g
Sweet. BTW, Brian, your guys' Civic Si had a K24 in it, right? Did you guys have any changes to make on the mounts? Can you comment on how the mounts differ from the K20A/A2, the K20Z3 and any of the K24s?

The K20Z3 was supposed to have a mount near the oil pan and another torque arm engine mount somewhere above, right? Did you guys have to add one for the K24?

·
Registered
143 Posts
MaxxxRacer said:
the reason being is that the car was a gift... so I cant exactly go get myself a Si, and tbh i really dont want to mess around with a stick in Los Angeles traffic...

Even being a gift, it's not worth it on a brand new car. Just sell it and get something else.

That said, anything is possible with the right amount of money. Everything should be pretty much off the shelf EXCEPT for the ECU. Automatics on most newer cars are controlled and pretty tightly integrated with the computer. Since SI's dont come with automatic, this is gunna be your biggest roadblock probably.

If everything did come together, that would end up being one way expensive civic with a real market value less then if you left it stock. Just sell it, and between the money you get for the car and what you would of spent to do the swap, just get something nicer and better suited to you not to mention not having to kill the value of.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
C17chief said:
Even being a gift, it's not worth it on a brand new car. Just sell it and get something else.

That said, anything is possible with the right amount of money. Everything should be pretty much off the shelf EXCEPT for the ECU. Automatics on most newer cars are controlled and pretty tightly integrated with the computer. Since SI's dont come with automatic, this is gunna be your biggest roadblock probably.

If everything did come together, that would end up being one way expensive civic with a real market value less then if you left it stock. Just sell it, and between the money you get for the car and what you would of spent to do the swap, just get something nicer and better suited to you not to mention not having to kill the value of.
That is the correct answer.:)
Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
380 Posts
im in the same situation as maxxx but i cant buy the Si here in venezuela they dont have the Si version of the coupe so i have to buy the EX im going to buy MT so you guys think i can use the k20z3 with my transmission and ecu? or is cheaper and better just buy a turbo and forget about the k20?

·
Registered
503 Posts
probably would not be able to mate up the R-series tranny with the K-series block. Plus, you'd need a lot of new things, including the ECU...and you would probably not be able to find anyone that would change your spark plugs on the K20 (and you would probably be hesitant to do it yourself, since it looks pretty much covered by the plastic cabin air intake piece). You'd end up spending too much...more than its worth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts