8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an ex and noticed that the paint on the body is missing the clear coat on certain areas of the body. When I swipe my hand over it, it isn't smooth and some areas are clear coated. It's slightly difficult to notice.
When I washed the car is when noticed it...

Why could this be? I think due to certain area's being repainted but why? I'm confused.
Is it recommended to get it clear coated or just leave car as is? If so how or what would I go about buying to make car clear coated.
What are side effects to leaving car as is?

ps: I noticed today when car was wet it didn't leave residue like it used too.

thanks for answers

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Wait....why do you think its missing its clear coat? Can you provide pictures? Its possible it might have been repaired and painted with a single stage paint. A two stage that loses its clear coat is very obvious, so I am not sure that's your problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you are missing clearcoat in a random spot within a panel then the car was probably scratched really bad and a polish attempt was made and burned through. If its missing it on full panels then I would go with the single stage repair and paint presumption. In anycase if the clearcoat is gone you need to have it re-cleared because the clear protects the color coat from the suns rays.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The paint is rough. I just assumed my car is missing clear coat in certain areas.

I feel one area and it feels glossy, then another whole area is rough. If I slide my hand across it, my hand gets black dirt on it kinda like suit, "the car doesn't look dirty".

any recommendations:
I saw some response said: claybar, full detail on it. seal and wax it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The paint is rough. I just assumed my car is missing clear coat in certain areas.

I feel one area and it feels glossy, then another whole area is rough. If I slide my hand across it, my hand gets black dirt on it kinda like suit, "the car doesn't look dirty".

any recommendations:
I saw some response said: claybar, full detail on it. seal and wax it.
Do that or just a polisher and some cut wax (G3 works good). If the clear is missing you will know by looking at it. If you really wanna check take some 2000 grit sandpaper and sand a small area where it will be un-noticed. If the color is any color other than white then when you sand it you will see white dust which tells you there is clear coat there. If the car is white then obviously the dust is white no matter what so you need to catch the dust and put a small amount of water in it. If it goes white and milky then there is no clear. If it goes sorta pearly looking then it is clear coat. You can polish up the area you sanded again with a polisher and some swirl remover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.