8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the EVO2 exhaust and loved it's deep tone exhaust note. Now with the SSR header thats all gone. The sound is no longer deep, the sound no longer has a tone to it.

did my evo2 loose its tone from the 4-2-1 exhaust or is it from loosing the cat that did it?

would installing a high flow cat in the short test pipe section get my deep tone back or do you need a 4-1 shorty header for that?

currently the sound is kind of raspy for my taste.

El Mahone

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Mine hasn't changed except waaaaay up in the RPMs and it's still not raspy. I mean, it's loud when the car is warming up, then it's quiet. I think it's pretty weird, personally. I expected way louder like that DC crap header is. Then again, both my exhaust and my header are very well broken in. I still think my CAI is louder than anything else.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My **** was brand new. You may be on to some thing with the broken in thing, I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or if it was actually starting to sound a little more like the evo2 did before the header install, but it's still raspy and not as deep. I've had it on for 4 days so maybe there is more breaking in to do.

I'd really love some input from the guys out there that have run there SSR headers with a test pipe and with a custom high flow cat, I think there are a couple such people on the board.

On a side note Dawn, are you based state side now? I've not kept up but I saw some post that indicated that your getting out of you SI and into something more american, is the meanie still her old self?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, adam did you ever run your SSR header with the test pipe as opposed to the SSR with custom Cat? did you notice any sound differences?

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
El_mahone said:
My **** was brand new. You may be on to some thing with the broken in thing, I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or if it was actually starting to sound a little more like the evo2 did before the header install, but it's still raspy and not as deep. I've had it on for 4 days so maybe there is more breaking in to do.

I'd really love some input from the guys out there that have run there SSR headers with a test pipe and with a custom high flow cat, I think there are a couple such people on the board.

On a side note Dawn, are you based state side now? I've not kept up but I saw some post that indicated that your getting out of you SI and into something more american, is the meanie still her old self?

Yes, I'm back stateside. I do want to get a Camaro but it's going to be no sooner than October of '09 for me. I love this car too much to get rid of it. :D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
El_mahone said:
So, adam did you ever run your SSR header with the test pipe as opposed to the SSR with custom Cat? did you notice any sound differences?
I never did run it with a straight test pipe, but I do know that it would make it a little louder and have a higher pitch to it.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
yunglaosta said:
got any vids? i would love to hear how it sounds

I don't. i've been meaning too though. Maybe I'll try and do one this week. Now, I'm picky about sound. I get embarrassed by riced out Hondas. So, I like a quiet exhaust. There's a ton of exhausts out there that are kinder on the eyes then the massive EVO2, but I haven't heard any that that sound as deep and quiet as the EVO2. It really compliments the car. Now when I added the SSR, it sounded great. Overall, I'm really impressed. My only complaints are:

1.) when the engine and exhaust are cold, it creaks.

2.) At high RPMS and by high I mean blinking red light (I have the reflash but I still shift at 7800 when I'm pushing it) if I'm in a tunnel or against a soundbarrier wall, it can get a little tinier than I like but how often am I pushing the limits?

On a 5 star scale, I give this set up all 5 stars. It's a keeper in my book and I'm a picky ******. ;)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
my friend has one with testpipe and it gets loud (raspy) after 4,500rpm... i guess its due to the testpipe which made it alottt louder than it was before. Side note, no matter what exhaust you get with SSR (including testpipe), it'll still sound raspy since there's no cat.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dawn, I'd love to ride in yours to see if we are talking about the same sound, as we should be since our exhaust setup is the same. I've been missing all the mid-atlantic/richmond meets because I've been working every weekend but if your ever around richmond let me know my weekdays are pretty free. Otherwise I'll catch you at a meet sooner or later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
atruhondagrl said:
I don't. i've been meaning too though. Maybe I'll try and do one this week. Now, I'm picky about sound. I get embarrassed by riced out Hondas. So, I like a quiet exhaust. There's a ton of exhausts out there that are kinder on the eyes then the massive EVO2, but I haven't heard any that that sound as deep and quiet as the EVO2. It really compliments the car. Now when I added the SSR, it sounded great. Overall, I'm really impressed. My only complaints are:

1.) when the engine and exhaust are cold, it creaks.

2.) At high RPMS and by high I mean blinking red light (I have the reflash but I still shift at 7800 when I'm pushing it) if I'm in a tunnel or against a soundbarrier wall, it can get a little tinier than I like but how often am I pushing the limits?

On a 5 star scale, I give this set up all 5 stars. It's a keeper in my book and I'm a picky ******. ;)

hahaha i can tell that ur picky lol. shoooot im real picky also...hmmm... i hope u get pics up soon!!! :vtec:

·
Registered
21 Posts
atruhondagrl said:
Mine hasn't changed except waaaaay up in the RPMs and it's still not raspy. I mean, it's loud when the car is warming up, then it's quiet. I think it's pretty weird, personally. I expected way louder like that DC crap header is. Then again, both my exhaust and my header are very well broken in. I still think my CAI is louder than anything else.
Pretty much sums it for me too. Same setup, except with the Typhoon instead.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A quick update.

The sound I was hearing was mostly exhaust leaking from the header. Apparently this is common/normal with stepped multipeace headers and you run them for a week and the pieces seal themselves. Currently, the sound has mostly stopped altogether, and I would have to agree with others that it is close to what the evo2 sounded like with the stock header. not quet as deep and alittle bit gassy when I listen to it with the windows open, but with the windows closed it's almost the same. I still might get an extra test pipe and a custom magna flow cat made from it, just to compare, and I'd probly run the high flow cat for daily driving just to reduce the fuel smell, and dampen the noise and rasp, but it as others have said, is minimal and really not a big issue at this point.

Now my car is primed for a supercharger.... just waiting for a good one to hit the market.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
El_mahone said:
I installed the EVO2 exhaust and loved it's deep tone exhaust note. Now with the SSR header thats all gone. The sound is no longer deep, the sound no longer has a tone to it.

did my evo2 loose its tone from the 4-2-1 exhaust or is it from loosing the cat that did it?

would installing a high flow cat in the short test pipe section get my deep tone back or do you need a 4-1 shorty header for that?

currently the sound is kind of raspy for my taste.

El Mahone
Any pics???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts