8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Think of torque in this format -

Leg Muscles and a pedal bike. The power you can press down on the pedal for one stroke is torque. The more torque the more power you can press with.

HP is torque times cranks on the pedal.

100lbs of muscle strength at 4 pedals per second

or

25lbs of muscle strength at 16 pedals per second

In each of the above the same HP is created.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Figured I'd add some more info to this..

Your TQ peak will come when your engine is operating at maximum VE (Volumetric Efficency).VE is how much air and fuel is burned in the combustion chamber Vs. Combustion chamber size i.e 2 liters in our case.Hondas,with their excellant head design and cam events actually have a VE above 100% at TQ peak proving that high redlines are NOT a bad thing.Horsepower being a mathematical formula of Tq @ X RPM is just another way of equating how well your engine is breathing at higher RPM's.If you had an enginethat made the same TQ at every RPM from 0-10,000 then your HP would climb in a diagonal incline proportional to RPM.As to what is more important peak TQ @ high RPM Vs. peak TQ @ median RPM that is another thread all by itself.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
I just wanted to point out that it appears noone mentioned that @ 5252 Rpms Hp will always be higher than Tq and below it Tq will always be higher.I've personally seen some fishy dyno sheets on here before(not this thread but on 8thcivic).If the meeting point of Tq and Hp is above or below 5252 by a large amount 500 rpms or more then that dyno sheet(be it chassis or engine dyno)is suspect.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I just wanted to point out that it appears noone mentioned that @ 5252 Rpms Hp will always be higher than Tq and below it Tq will always be higher.I've personally seen some fishy dyno sheets on here before(not this thread but on 8thcivic).If the meeting point of Tq and Hp is above or below 5252 by a large amount 500 rpms or more then that dyno sheet(be it chassis or engine dyno)is suspect.
im pretty sure ive mentioned that, but anyway, my guess is that those dyno sheets use different scales for HP and torque. look carefully, sometimes theres a scale on the left side for one, and another on the rightside for the other.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
im pretty sure ive mentioned that, but anyway, my guess is that those dyno sheets use different scales for HP and torque. look carefully, sometimes theres a scale on the left side for one, and another on the rightside for the other.
I hate those charts like that.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Torque is a force that tends to cause a rotation. A force applied at a non-zero distance from an object's centre will tend to rotate the object.

Mathematically, work is a force times a distance, and has units such as foot-pounds or Newton-metres. The direction of force (or at least a component of it) must match the direction of motion for the force to be considered to be doing work.
Torque is the cross product of the radius (or arm) and the force applied. A cross product is the product of a scalar, a vector, and the sine of the smallest positive angle between them which returns a vector. You can apply an infinite force at an incident angle whose sine is 0 and generate no torque...thus why you can't fire a cylinder at TDC.

Work is the dot product of force and distance. A dot product is the product of a force, the distance throughout which that force acts and the cosine
of the smallest positive angle between the two which returns a scalar. You can have a force working at an angle with or against the direction that force is acting and still perform work. It just can't be perpindicular (cosine of pi/2 is 0)

oh, also, the correct units for torque are Newton-meters not pound-feet. I look forward to the day when the non-metric units lay down and die.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 si and at low speeds, if you hit the gas and let go, kinda bucking it, it sounds like a bed if you push it back and forth. I sprayed the bushings and all but it didn't help, any idea what it ,might be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
whats the regular acceleration on a honda civic when its at a resting point when its on im talking about when u have it on and dont press the gas whats the exact amount it should show its a manual and i feel has little acceleration its under 1 between 0 to 1 please tell me how if i have to change it

·
Registered
33 Posts
The deffinition of Tq is a little off on the front page.

Torque is a "turning force" You really should stay away from the term, force the tends to cause rotation. If allowed Tq would always cause rotation of an object.

Torque is not measure by the force and distance traveled. It is measure by the force and the lenght of the moment arm (perpendicular distance from the applied force to the axis of rotation).

Torque Requires no movement. You can have a million pounds pushing with a 1 foot level and create no HP is it doesn't spin, or very little HP is it doesn't spin quickly.

A cylinder that is at TDC or TDB creates Zero TQ because their is no force perpendicular to the moment arm.

the correct unit of measure for TQ in the scientific community is N.m

41 - 60 of 67 Posts