8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the event?
Thursday - Saturday, September 10-12 2009. You are welcome to join us at any time during the event.

Are you charging a fee to participate?
Thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thcivic-com-conquers-dragon-iv-september-10-12-2009/137657-8ccd-iv-30-registration-fee-deadline-aug-10-2009-a.html

What are we going to be doing there?
Thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thcivic-com-conquers-dragon-iv-september-10-12-2009/137693-8ccd-iv-itinerary.html

Where is everyone staying?
Thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thcivic-com-conquers-dragon-iv-september-10-12-2009/137692-where-stay-8ccd-iv-updated-march-25-2009-a.html

Will there be any awards given?
Thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thcivic-com-conquers-dragon-iv-september-10-12-2009/158488-8ccd-iv-awards.html

Are you giving away any door prizes?
Thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/8thcivic-com-conquers-dragon-iv-september-10-12-2009/137238-8thcivic-com-sponsors-contributing-8ccd-iv.html

What is the Tail of the Dragon?
The Tail of the Dragon is US-129 on the North Carolina-Tennessee border and is the premier public road for sports car and motorcycle enthusiasts in the country. It is reputed to have 318 curves in 11 miles.

Where is the Tail of the Dragon?

Who is invited?
This is an 8thCivic.com event, not just an 8th generation Civic event. If you are a member of 8thCivic.com, you and your guests are welcome to come regardless of what you drive. If you drive a different car, just don't feel left out when we don't include your cars in the 8th generation Civic group photos. We'll make sure and get photos of the "other cars" together, too.;) You won't be left behind and you will still have fun.

What makes 8thCivic.com Conquers the Dragon different from your average meet?
Not only do you get to meet new members and check out each other's cars, you also get to do some spirited driving on some of the best roads in the world. More importantly, you get to spend a few days with your fellow members so you will get to know them a bit better than you would at your average meet.

Is this a Southern regional event?
Absolutely not! People from as far north as Canada and as far west as California have attended. It's for driving enthusiasts and fun lovers everywhere!

Hasn’t there been a crackdown at the Tail of the Dragon by the Tennessee Highway Patrol?
Yes, but I assure you that some spirited driving will occur. You will not be disappointed.;)

What is Deal's Gap?
Deal's Gap is just another name for the area where the Tail of the Dragon lies. I honestly don't know if it is the name of a geological feature or if it's a name used for the general area. Usually, when people are talking about either the Tail of the Dragon or Deal's Gap, they are talking about the same thing.

Where is the nearest town?
Robbinsville, the nearest town, is 18 miles away from the Dragon and 27 miles away from Fontana Village. There are a few gas stations there and a grocery store if needed.

Are there other great roads in the area besides the Dragon?
Yes. US-129 between the Dragon and Tapoco Lodge is quite good and can be considered an extension of the Dragon. NC-28 has a long curvy section known as the Hellbender. The Cherohala Skyway which begins near Robbinsville, NC as NC-143 and ends near Tellico Plains, TN as TN-165 is a more scenic road with sweeping curves and elevations above 5000 feet.

Where can I get alcohol?
Graham County, where Fontana Village is located, is dry. That means convenience stores, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. will not have alcohol for sale. However, thanks to a weird North Carolina law, Fontana Village is able to sell alcohol because it is a resort with a swimming pool and tennis court.:laughing: You can buy it at both their general store and their convenience store.

Can I use my cellphone at the Dragon?
The Dragon and Fontana Village are in a rural area with no cell coverage. Cell coverage for most services is available in Robbinsville, the nearest town.

How can we communicate without cellphones?
2-way radios are recommended because they are the only way to communicate when not in Robbinsville. Make sure to get some with subchannels.

Do you have any tips for driving the Tail of Dragon?
Read this page and follow it religiously: How to Ride the Dragon
We are not there to race! Do not drive beyond your ability! The Dragon can bite you if you push it too much! Do not endanger yourself or others!

Can I be irresponsible?
I feel an obligation as organizer of this event to do what I can to make sure the participants stay safe and enjoy themselves. Irresponsibility that endangers the safety and property of others will not be tolerated. Any offending persons will be asked not to return next year. There is to be no reckless driving, racing, fighting, or any other irresponsible activities. Do not bring online feuds to the event. Don't ruin it for everyone else.

Where can I see pictures and videos from previous events?
Check out the stickies in the Past Dragon Meets Subforum

·
Banned
13,587 Posts
Yea there is a speed limit.

But for the most part its difficult to get a lot of speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, buddy of mine told me about this meet.

Interested in some 240's coming along :) ??

I'm a moderator from 240atlanta.com, will probably be personally attending all 3 days.

We usually host more local to Atlanta mountain runs but I'm pretty sure some people would be interested in going out.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
viperbite, the only requirement is that you're a member of 8thCivic or a guest of a member of 8thCivic. Since you're a member now, that covers you and your buddies :thumb:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Viperbite is my friend :)

Im still figuring everything out, but ill be coming from rochester Minnesota if i go :cheerleader:

~1000 miles to get there :O

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! It will be worth the trip. mikey6p is planning on making his second trip from Cali this year

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, buddy of mine told me about this meet.

Interested in some 240's coming along :) ??

I'm a moderator from 240atlanta.com, will probably be personally attending all 3 days.

We usually host more local to Atlanta mountain runs but I'm pretty sure some people would be interested in going out.
Viperbite is my friend :)

Im still figuring everything out, but ill be coming from rochester Minnesota if i go :cheerleader:

~1000 miles to get there :O
I just want to reiterate that I have never considered this meet exclusively for 8th Generation Civics. If people with other cars want to join 8thCivic or come with one of their friends who is a member, then that is perfectly fine. The meet is about making new friends and enjoying great roads and you can do those things regardless of what you drive. I think it's great that there are members here that have gone on to drive other cars but still think highly enough of the meet to continue coming back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oh wow... thats not TOO far away from where I live.. (coastal NC). I always enjoyed driving through those curvy roads on my road trips to Indy..

Probably can't afford to go though...

My si would probably be the plainest one there anyway :(

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't worry about how stock your car is. Although we are giving away the "Coolest Ride" trophy, it's not a car show. The meet isn't about what you drive. It's about making new friends and having fun.

Also, I think having a modded suspension is overrated there. My nephew was in an unmodded '92 Camry V-6 at the first meet and was able to keep up with the group. You're on a public road so you're not going to push it to the limit like you would on an autocross course.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oh I know that much about "pushing it to the limit" I wouldn't want to beat on my car THAT much...

Perhaps if I have the money here before the deadline.. I'll attend.. The idea sounds like fun. I've never been to any sort of meet before.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
3 main reasons
  • There aren't as many big events there in September.
  • It isn't as hot. There are no humid days in the high 90s although our Canuck member was still complaining about the heat last year :giggle:
  • Most importantly, we will end up with a more mature group. There won't be as many high school kids there. You don't have to worry about a bunch of inexperienced drivers who believe they are invincible trying to push their cars. It cuts down on the amount of underage drinking as well.
I believe the timing is one of the things that has made it so good every year and I'm not going to change it. I'm sorry if it leaves you out but I plan on continuing them so come join us when you're done with school.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cookstar,

Excellent points! I'm in the process of trying to buy an 8thGen Si. (I'm selling my 8thGen Civic EX). I live in western NC and have driven the "Dragon" once before in my 8thGen Civic EX. It's an AMAZING drive... one the funnest things you can do with your clothes on!

And you're spot on - September is a perfect time of year for this area! I can't wait to go! Wish me luck on my hunt for a new Si...!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm In knoxville TN see u there! Damn I gotta get my HFP suspension asap, dragon here we come an. Guy who said stuff abt 240s, my friends are driving there's so I got 2 8th gens and 2 240s coming with me see u there

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.