8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Engine tick noise ANSWERED

66K views 38 replies 37 participants last post by  MFDOOM 
#1 ·
First post, just wanted to say great forum. My girlfriend has had an 08 LX Sedan since last March. Found this site while looking around for technical info. As for me, I'm an Acura Master Certified Tech with 10 years experience on Honda/Acura.

I just noticed the ticking noise on the Civic yesterday, after getting out while it was running. So I decided to get to the bottom of it.

I pulled it into the shop when it was stone cold, popped the hood open, and let it idle while I stood waiting with the mechanics stethoscope. After 5 min the noise started. AH-HA! Just as I thought it might be, it's the purge control solenoid valve above the intake manifold happily ticking away. Unfortunately purge control valves are notoriously noisy, and this would be considered NORMAL.

Some of the Acura vehicles have a similar setup, with an equally noisy valve. More underhood insulation on Acura vehicles makes it harder to hear than on the Civic which has almost NO insulation.

For those not in the know, the purge control solenoid valve controls the flow of gasoline vapors from the gas tank so they can be burned in the engine. The valve doesn't start cycling until after the car is almost fully warmed up, which is why it isn't noticeable when cold.

Just for grins, I scoped the injectors (loud, but not nearly as noticeable as the purge solenoid) and the valves (smooth like a well oiled sewing machine) therefore I have to lay the blame squarely on the purge solenoid.

I've been using Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 with Honda filters, car has 15k and still runs as smoothly as the day it was new.

Hope this helps some Civic owners sleep better at night, I know some people here love their Civics like kids love the ice cream man in July!

See less See more
#9 ·
Good to know! When I first got my 06 civic I had this ticking issue looked at 3 times. I was eventually satisfied with the responses that nothing was wrong, but I sure love knowing the exact cause. I'm funny like that. For example if there is an slightly annoying creak or rattle, I just want to know where it coming from more than actually making it go away.

Anyway, please stick around Acuratech! You sound like a true diagnostician.

#18 ·
So i pretty much have a brand new enigne, brand new block and brand new head and i have this ticking noise but i'm concerned about this noise, when i got my car back i did get the check fuel cap minder constantly so is this solenoid the answer to my problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.