8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

engine swap

38K views 65 replies 33 participants last post by  Sinn001 
#1 ·
i have a 2007 Honda civic lx and i really want to yup the engine from the si in my car but don't know if it will fit and what kind of modifications will need to be done.
Anyone got advice or an answer?

#20 · (Edited)
how much performance do you want?

if you really want something fast honestly don't bother with a civic go get a used evo or sti.

if you get an Si it will be fun to drive, but really its slow even with mods compared to other cars you could get

SO
if you want a Fun little car that still gets pretty good gas mileage on 91 get the Si

if you want to race get something else.

#24 ·
people bashing on si's need to learn how to drive.

and fun factor isn't always torque and speed and blah blah blah.

for me and MANY other si owners, fun is being able to beat the piss out of ur car and not worry about failing turbos, rods, pistons,etc, all while still being pretty quick(if u know how to drive) and have a nice slick looking ride with a sound system that is more than decent and getting 30 mpg

...and dont even bring the gti into this. if u lose to a gti, the si isn't for u.

#27 ·
people bashing on si's need to learn how to drive.

and fun factor isn't always torque and speed and blah blah blah.

for me and MANY other si owners, fun is being able to beat the piss out of ur car and not worry about failing turbos, rods, pistons,etc...
Yeah, you just have to worry about 3rd gear issues, chipped paint, rattles, clutch issues, revhang, etc.

Every car has its problems. Si's are no different, no matter how you frame it.

...all while still being pretty quick(if u know how to drive) and have a nice slick looking ride with a sound system that is more than decent and getting 30 mpg
If by "pretty quick," you mean slower than a Camry.

If by "slick looking," you mean looks like a Civic with Vtec stickers.

Gotta love the SI's MPG though. It's nice to get 30+ MPG on long highway trips. Cobalt SS/TC's get around 30 MPG as well and shames the SI in literally every performance category. The new V6 Mustang gets 31 MPG and produces 305 HP/280 lb-ft.

With the small amount of HP and torque the SI produces, you'd think it would get at least 35+ MPG.

...and dont even bring the gti into this. if u lose to a gti, the si isn't for u.
As Habitat said, GTI's can gain ~50 WHP w/ just a reflash, and mod for mod, they gain more HP/TQ than a SI. Plus they have a smooth power-band and very predictable handling characteristics, making them easy to push hard around a track. Now that the 2010 models have a LSD, GTI's are even better. If you're driving a non-FI'd Si, you can't knock the performance potential of a GTI, MS3, Cobalt SS, WRX, or virtually any other sport-compact.

SI's need FI and better tires to keep up with lightly modded competitors.

Honda needs to lrn2turbo. High HP/TQ and great MPG w/ excellent modding potential. Even BMW is going to start putting turbocharged engines in their M's.

But on topic:

IMO, the OP should cut his losses and buy a car with better out-of-the-box performance and greater modding potential. I have a e46 M3 as my track/project car. I'd recommend something similar, or a used EVO or WRX/STI.

#32 ·
You're right. Let me fix it.

i have a 2007 Honda civic lx and i really want to yup the engine from the si in my car but don't know if it will fit and what kind of modifications will need to be done.
Anyone got advice or an answer?
I kind of like the idea of a super sleeper LX. Just keep it totally stock. Upgrade the suspension but keep the ride height. Upgrade the tires but keep the wheels. And so on...

Like this guy:

that's what i was thinking, what about having a turbo kit put on my car and having the engine internals upgraded to handle the turbo? or would i be better off trading it in for the si?
It would definitely make more sense to just trade in your LX and upgrade to something faster, if speed is what you're after. I'd consider other cars besides the SI. You could find some nice used cars that would tear up a SI. For example, an EVO, STI, M3, etc.

That's what I'd do to spare myself the headaches/reliability concerns of an engine swap.

Plus if you were to boost your LX or do a swap, you'd still need to upgrade your suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, transmission, clutch, exhaust and other supporting mods. Before you know it, you're in a $50k Civic LX.

Not worth it.

well thank you for the good feedback. now i want to know if anyone has a good place to buy the mesh grill kits that replace the factory upper and lower grill
You could probably find what you're looking for here: Honda Civic Parts Source

so i need help with some idea for some mods to do to my car to get some more performance out of it, and i cant remeber how to start a new forum any help?
To start a new topic about engine upgrades for your car, go here: Bolt-Ons And All-Motor - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum and click the gray "New Thread" button above and to the left of the thread list.

FYI, a single topic is called a "thread," not a "forum."

im am considering trading my car in for the si nut im stuck on whether i should get the si or the mugen si? any sugestions?
Don't get a Mugen unless it's cheap. It isn't any faster than a SI, and you could just use the extra money you'd spend on it for engine mods on a regular SI, and have a better car.

But seriously, you should test drive other cars besides the SI. You might find out you like torque.

#37 ·
Reading comprehension is important. The OP obviously wants a faster car, so I suggested faster cars out-of-the-box, with more modding potential than a SI, that cost about the same as a SI. So if straight line speed is important, an SI is a poor choice. In fact, FWD is a poor choice, in that case.

lol the fact that you said your friend gets 25 mpg with his cobalt beating on it just made u seem like a ruh tard ahhaa.

yea we all read magazines, the problem is u believe everything u read. ur hopeless, go back to cobalt forum
Another Honda fanboi.

I didn't say he averages 25 MPG, I said he averages 28 MPG.

Cobalt SS/TC's and MS3's not only gain HP/TQ with bolt ons, they gain MPG! A MS3 gains about 10% MPG and ~24 wHP//~27 lb-ft. of tq. from just a CAI. Bolted SS/TC can get over 30 MPG easily on highway trips.

Here's a couple links to guys getting 30+ MPG in a MS3 and Cobalt SS/TC:

MS3 CAI 34 MPG !!!!! Unreal..... - Mazda Forums

Ecomodding a Cobalt SS/TC - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Six6, you're the retard. You're pathetically misinformed and perpetuating bad information. You're truly an asset to the forums. :facepalm:

I think the take home message isn't that there are currently better performing cars for the sub $20k compact market. Rather, that our FG2/FA5s are already at the end of its lifecycle and what was a great performer in 2006 really no longer applies now after 4 years later with no significant changes. I just mean to point that fact out and anyone who still thinks an 8th SI is a good base car for performance should really consider other options out there.
I agree entirely.

In '06, when the SI was first released, 197 bHP, and 139 lb-ft. was decent for the price.

Then in '07 the MS3 hit the scene, offering 263 bHP, and 280 lb-ft. for virtually the same price.

In '08 the WRX saw a small improvement.

In '08 the Cobalt SS got the ecotec engine, producing 260 bHp, and 260 lb-ft. It still dominates the FWD sport-compact market (USDM) in performance, and comes standard with performance tech absent on its competitors, like a boost gauge, launch control, and a no-lift-shift feature.

In '09 the WRX was improved once again, gaining 42 bHP, and 18 lb-ft. over the '08 model.

In '09 the Genesis coupe hit US shores, offering a decent RWD alternative.

Now for '11 the V6 Mustang is getting a 305 bHP, 280 lb-ft. and achieves 31 MPG on the highway.

Now you can find a lot of these cars (minus the Mustang) used, and at great prices. You can pick up used EVO's for relatively cheap. Hell, a friend of mine bought a brand new EVO X GSR for $27k OTD last year when Mitsu was having that $10k off all '08 deals.

My point is, there are some excellent cars to be had for $20-25k, new or used, and people should drive and compare other options before they make a purchase.

A lot of people find the SI to be underpowered for the price, and since the OP is concerned with power, he should consider more powerful cars.

You think if this drove by an average pedestrian they wouldn't turn their head? I think you're wrong...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2340/4511276445_83ce2485d2_o.jpg

The Si is slick looking. Very aerodynamic.
To me, that looks.. meh. Even if that is a real CF hood (I've seen too many Si's with their stock hoods painted black or gray), I still see a glorified Civic worth about $15k. It's a boy-racer looking car, with the yellow fogs, springs, chrome wheels, JDM wind visors, and aftermarket emblems.

No exterior mod on the car is unique. Every ricer and his brother have those exact mods, regardless of the car's brand. You'd think Si's came stock with red "H" emblems they're so played out.

Only thing I like, is that the owner removed the cheap ricer "Vtec" stickers. I also like the '09's grill better than the previous years' grill.

I just see 1,000 8th gen civics every day living in California, so seeing one with a different hood and wheels does nothing for me.

And it's not just Si's or Civics. It's all sport-compacts. SI's, MS3's, SS/TC's, WRX's, GTI's, all look like Civics, 3's, Cobalts, Imprezas, and Golfs with boy-racer touches - usually includes a wing. WRX's have a hood scoop, GTI's have red painted brake calipers, SS's have a ridiculous rear wing, and SI's have "Si" badges, and "Vtec" stickers.

Basically, I don't see how you could call any of these cars "good looking" unless you also think their base model version is also "good looking."

And I sure as hell don't think a Golf, Cobalt, Impreza, Civic, or Mazda 3 is attractive compared to actual sports cars I see daily. But perhaps it's because I live/work in an area where I see R8's, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, Lotus' (not expensive but aesthetic sex), and all kinds of Porsches every day.

I'd hate to live in some backwards suburb where sport-compacts are considered the "nice cars in town."

#35 ·
I think the take home message isn't that there are currently better performing cars for the sub $20k compact market. Rather, that our FG2/FA5s are already at the end of its lifecycle and what was a great performer in 2006 really no longer applies now after 4 years later with no significant changes. I just mean to point that fact out and anyone who still thinks an 8th SI is a good base car for performance should really consider other options out there.

So back to the OP question.
Should you do an engine swap? No you definitely should not.
Should you trade in for an SI? An SI isn't out of the question, but do consider the other options if you are willing to take that financial loss.
Should you go for FI? That is probably the cheapest option you have for a bit more power at this point.
Should you just live with your LX? Yes, this is the most responsible decision and will set yourself up with a better performing car down the road when you are ready to sell and buy a new.

#38 ·
...im not going to read all that because you clearly have no respect for the SI, and your mis informed. its common sense that a effin cobalt ss or any other car we're talking about is not going to get better gas mileage than a civic si.

the only part i read was how you live in a area where u see r8's, ferraris, blah blah blah.
get over yourself, my mailman drives around a r8, and i drive an enzo to the end of my driveway to pick up my mail..., and thats all i use it for. E THUG

#39 ·
@ HIGH SOCIETY - You still didn't answer my question...I didn't ask if it would turn your head..because only diamond studded Bugatti's turn your head. Would the Si in the pick turn the average joe's head. Looking for a yes or no answer.

#43 · (Edited)
ROFL this thread is massive fail.

First it is under the dealership experience section.
Second is another R18 owner who wants Si or better level performance.
Third is all the Si owners flipping out because something else is conceivably better than their cars.
Fourth is all the Si owners who think the Si gets R18 level mileage while being a "race car".
Fifth is the fact that like five people have actually bothered answering any of the OP's questions

You just don't get quality of this kind anywhere else.

OP, I'd get a non-Honda just so you don't have to come back here and see the same stuff over and over. I would not spend money on an engine swap. I would trade it or live with what you've got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.