8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know this isn't Civic-related, but my fiance is having issues with her Accord, and after a quick search through some Accord forums, I couldn't find anything. I was hoping someone a bit more mechanically inclined than myself could help diagnose this problem.

She's got a 95 Accord Sedan, manual with about 150,000 miles. She says when she turns the steering wheel completely one way or the other, the engine shuts off. Could this have anything to do with the belts, or is it something independent of that?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
You might be on to something. If the power steering assembly is dependent on one of the belts, and that belt is loose, it may put some sort of strain on the engine when turning the wheel, which kills it.

But I'm totally spit-balling since I don't own an Accord. Just putting my nogging and guesstimationability to use.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
jasonandre said:
You might be on to something. If the power steering assembly is dependent on one of the belts, and that belt is loose, it may put some sort of strain on the engine when turning the wheel, which kills it.

But I'm totally spit-balling since I don't own an Accord. Just putting my nogging and guesstimationability to use.

Thats possible, i used to have a 95 accord, never had this issue but your theory is possible

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
1) how does the car idle w/ loads off?

2)how does the car idle w/loads on?

3)does the power steering pump make any noise?

4)when was the last time you guys replaced the timing belt?

Im on my lunch break, when I get back to work will check ISIS to see if there is anything regarding this problem.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
udumkid said:
1) how does the car idle w/ loads off?

2)how does the car idle w/loads on?

3)does the power steering pump make any noise?

4)when was the last time you guys replaced the timing belt?

Im on my lunch break, when I get back to work will check ISIS to see if there is anything regarding this problem.
I talked to her some last night about all this. I haven't looked at the car myself. I'm just trying to get some ideas about what it could be. My initial thought was a belt issue. Anyway, after talking with her some, here's what I know.

1,2) Idle is apparently a little low, spark plugs/wires probably need replaced.
3) No clue. I have never heard any sqeaks or squeals.
4) No clue. I couldn't even guess.

Thanks in advance for looking into it later. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
CameronJr9 said:
I talked to her some last night about all this. I haven't looked at the car myself. I'm just trying to get some ideas about what it could be. My initial thought was a belt issue. Anyway, after talking with her some, here's what I know.

1,2) Idle is apparently a little low, spark plugs/wires probably need replaced.
1)What is it idling at?

2)Does it idle rough enought to make the dash board vibrate a bit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts