8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
i have this problem everytime i start my mine (06 fg), its as soon as i let go of the key from turning it over. i caught this after i starting turning the car on with my windows or driver door open. its annoying and idk it doesnt seems to healthy or right......

·
Registered
159 Posts
its called a dry start.. oil just hasnt got to the top of the motor yet.

reason to always use a HONDA factory oil filter! anti drainback ftw

·
Banned
509 Posts
Id like to bump this thread because it seems that I now have this issue. only on cold starts, i hear a metallic scraping noise. It seems to happen a second after the engine has started up and only last for a split second. I have enough oil and im using a Honda oil filter...i cant really tell where its coming from...but its sounds like it may be coming from the bottom of the engine..??? i could be wrong. any ideas?

·
Registered
159 Posts
might try replacing one quart of oil for one quart of lucas oil stabilizer

·
Registered
271 Posts
guys it has nothing to do with the type of oil or the type of filter, when are car sits for long periods of time the oil in the engine will drain to oil pan, its called gravity. when this happens there is of course lack of lubrication to the friction point of the engine. this momentary "knock" or "grinding" noise happens because there is no oil to lubricate the frictions surfaces, once the oil pump has moved the oil to the proper locations the sounds go away and it is back to normal operation.

Thats is all there is to it. also it is not happening long enough to cause engine failure, or even a minimal damage. This is categorized under normal wear in the engine.

Now to when its cold and does this. basically its the same thing, just since it is cold the viscosity of the oil is higher so it takes a little bit longer for it to flow to the top of the engine. that why you should let your engine warm up to operating temps before driving it. let the oil heat up a bit so it will run smoother. this usually only takes a few mins. unless your up here in Canada, where you might be waiting 10-20 min for the car to warm up. thats why the idle is quite high when you first start the car too, helps it warm up faster.

well i hope this clears this up for you guys.

Devo

·
Registered
271 Posts
oh and sorry to add to what i said, oil pressure is also the cause of this, lack of it will cause lack of oil at the top of the engine which will cause what i said earlier.

and i use Zmax in my Mustang, only just started to use it so i will find out how it work in a latter date. but the lucas oil stabilizer from what i have hear is more for racing applications at the track. but that is what i've heard, most likely not what is true. but hey can't hurt to try it right?

·
Registered
877 Posts
It's not a problem; I've proven this with oil analysis multiple times.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is, in effect, a 50 grade oil additive with tackifiers. It is not meant for, nor good in, engines.

Just use a good quality oil filter and oil, and sleep well at night.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Id like to bump this thread because it seems that I now have this issue. only on cold starts, i hear a metallic scraping noise. It seems to happen a second after the engine has started up and only last for a split second. I have enough oil and im using a Honda oil filter...i cant really tell where its coming from...but its sounds like it may be coming from the bottom of the engine..??? i could be wrong. any ideas?
I've been getting the same metallic scraping sound myself. However, mine occurs as I turn the key slowly. There's no pattern to it. Naturally, I won't be able to replicate the issue if I took it to the dealership.

It doesn't happen often, either.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i've already said it once,

this is a normal occurrence in an internal combustion engine.

putting different oil in or additives isn't going to stop GRAVITY from putting the oil back into the oil pan. maybe i didn't make it clear enough for you guys.

oil is put on the friction surfaces of the engine. for example the cylinder walls, the cams and cam lobes, lifters etc. when the OIL PUMP is off which happens when the engine is turned off (in most cases) the flow of oil to these points is cut off. when this happens gravity as it has always been doing forces the oil back to the oil pan. thus now the friction surfaces no longer have oil on them to lubricate the surface. thus it becomes metal on metal THUS creating the noise/vibration. the only way to stop this it to have constant lubrication and no gravity to pull the lubrication off the surface areas. and to my knowledge that doesn't exist.

its not a hard concept to understand.

Devo

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Hi guys, my car started doing this about a month ago too. Devo/Devin, if what they are hearing, it is nothing like the sound of a dry start. It's very brief, only maybe a half a second. A dry start will sound like clacking or rattling for a couple seconds until the oil makes it's way up to the head. What I am hearing is a SCRAPING noise. Almost like the sound you get when you try to start a car that it already started. It only does it on the first start of the day though. Weird.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.