8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems endless with problems with my civic.

this time, engine check light came this moring after i finished my final exam.

has anyone experieced the engine check light in their civics yet?

please, give me an idea why the light came on before i am head to the dealer.

i made an appointment at 12 this noon.

=====================================================
Problems i had so far with my 06 CIVIC sedan..
-Engine Oil Leak
-Replaced the headgasket
-Broken Rear Suspension shocks
-Readjusted timiing belt
-Engine mount replaced
-Reinstalled dashboard (uneven & unfit surface)
-Replaced Timing belt & Water pump & a bunch of stuff due to a broken bolt (Engine got shut off while driving 60km/hr)
-Check Fuel Cap comes on and off like insance.
-Rattles everywhere.. i mean everywhere..
-and etc. that i can't even remember any more.. cuz there are too many..
-HORRIBLE HONDA SERVICE at THE DEALER.. and Honda Canada Customer Care on the PHONE.. HORRIBLE........

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
check engine light is indicating a fault in any one of hundreds of sensors throughout the engine and emissions control systems, its near impossible to diagnose a CEL without a scan tool, especially if there is no discernible change in the sound and feel of the engine.

I suggest you stop by your local auto parts store, i dont know if they do this in Canada but in the US they will typically let you take a scan tool out in the parking lot and check the CEL codes on your car.

a large percent of the time its either a gas cap thats not fully tightened (though a message on your odometer usually accompanies that) or a faulty reading on one of the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ethlar said:
a large percent of the time its either a gas cap thats not fully tightened (though a message on your odometer usually accompanies that) or a faulty reading on one of the O2 sensors.
Thanks a lot for your tips. But i don't believe we have that scanning thinggy in Canada.

I've seen this "CHECK FUEL CAP" on and off for a month.

So, this might be the reason why the engine light came on?

i don't feel any difference in the engine when i am driving.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
It could be the reason. You can also try disconnecting your battery to clear the CEL, and if it doesnt come back it was probably a random bad reading rather than a persistent problem. However if it comes back, go to a honda dealer to get a more definitive diagnosis.

·
Registered
898 Posts
NoMoreHonda said:
Thanks a lot for your tips. But i don't believe we have that scanning thinggy in Canada.

I've seen this "CHECK FUEL CAP" on and off for a month.

So, this might be the reason why the engine light came on?

i don't feel any difference in the engine when i am driving.

Thanks again.
And you're jsut now wondering about it? Come on, you're better than that...aren't you? LOL Just unscrew it, replace it and tighten till it clicks atleast three times. If that is indeed the problem, the light should go out in a day or so.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
It doesn't matter that we're in Canada. You need an OBDII reader to pull the code. I would swing by the dealer to at least get it read and you can follow up with an appointment later. The codes clear itself after about a week, so that's the reasoning behind that. I probably wouldn't reset the code.

The check fuel cap message is a normal "bug."

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Yodums said:
It doesn't matter that we're in Canada. You need an OBDII reader to pull the code. I would swing by the dealer to at least get it read and you can follow up with an appointment later. The codes clear itself after about a week, so that's the reasoning behind that. I probably wouldn't reset the code.

The check fuel cap message is a normal "bug."

the code only clears itself after 3 "drive cycles" without a fault detected

·
Registered
534 Posts
My CEL just came on this morning, I have 36, 180 miles on my EX coupe. Some mfg's have it come on at service intervals, like 36,000 miles. Does Honda do that, or might it be something else? By the way , no mods to the car at all, I did run the battery down last weekend when I left the trunk open and stereo on for a little too long, had to jump start it. 5 days later the CEL comes on.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
there is a seperate maintenance light, an orange wrench that lights up next to your odometer/info display when the car is due for maintenance.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Uhhh, thanks for the help.:pat: Don't think I need a tune-up at 36K. The car runs fine. I guess I will visit the dealer if it does not go off after the weekend is over.

·
Registered
631 Posts
:yeahthat:
Dealer charges a service fee and takes your car for an hour. auto zone or advanced auto or any of the others takes five minutes, and they read it for FREE!!

If it's out of warranty then fix it yourself, most of the sensors can be gotten to relatively easily. If it's under warrenty or you do not feel comfortable changing whatever the sensor is then take it to the dealer but I'd take to the parts store anyway to find out what the code is.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if "the zone" could check my Honda, I have had our Chevy Blazer in there to have them check it. I'll try that first, before a visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Retread said:
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if "the zone" could check my Honda, I have had our Chevy Blazer in there to have them check it. I'll try that first, before a visit to the dealer.
I just called My local one and they said as long as it has the obdII connector, which it does, they can do it. I'm sure Advanced will do it too. I don't have one close to me so i deal w/ the zone.

Have fun

BTW when the local parts places started pulling codes for free guess who called them and complained... that's right the dealers. Hmmmmm I wonder why?

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
NoMoreHonda said:
it seems endless with problems with my civic.

this time, engine check light came this moring after i finished my final exam.

has anyone experieced the engine check light in their civics yet?

please, give me an idea why the light came on before i am head to the dealer.

i made an appointment at 12 this noon.

=====================================================
Problems i had so far with my 06 CIVIC sedan..
-Engine Oil Leak
-Replaced the headgasket
-Broken Rear Suspension shocks
-Readjusted timiing belt
-Engine mount replaced
-Reinstalled dashboard (uneven & unfit surface)
-Replaced Timing belt & Water pump & a bunch of stuff due to a broken bolt (Engine got shut off while driving 60km/hr)
-Check Fuel Cap comes on and off like insance.
-Rattles everywhere.. i mean everywhere..
-and etc. that i can't even remember any more.. cuz there are too many..
-HORRIBLE HONDA SERVICE at THE DEALER.. and Honda Canada Customer Care on the PHONE.. HORRIBLE........
You need to sell the POS Civic before you have any more problems with it. AMDHUNTER did and his LX had a bunch of similar problems too. GL man. :thumb:

·
Registered
534 Posts
The car coughed up the code P2422 when I took it to the zone. " EVAP Vent System Solenoid Valve Stuck Closed"

A warranty covered issue ,.......... or not ?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Retread said:
The car coughed up the code P2422 when I took it to the zone. " EVAP Vent System Solenoid Valve Stuck Closed"

A warranty covered issue ,.......... or not ?
Should definitely be covered by warranty.

Edit: Just looked back again at your original post. I think the bumper to bumper warranty is only 36,000 miles. They may try to charge you because of this. However, the EVAP Vent System Solenoid is part of the emissions controls, which I believe are required to have a longer warranty (though it may only be certain states). It would definitely be worth checking into if they say "sorry, you are over 36,000 miles."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts